PDA

View Full Version : Changing up to third gear!!!

gazzab
January 26th, 2007, 12:09
Hi guys, not sure if it is me or the gearbox, when I am flooring it I quite often have trouble getting into third from second, as though the gate has moved, no problems in ordinary driving, or maybe its my co-ordination!

Gazzab

Audihead
January 26th, 2007, 19:50
Hi guys, not sure if it is me or the gearbox, when I am flooring it I quite often have trouble getting into third from second, as though the gate has moved, no problems in ordinary driving, or maybe its my co-ordination!

Gazzab

Some others may agree or disagree, but I have found that you can't be very heavy handed with this gearbox. You need to have a light touch and the gates will guide you in. If you apply too much pressure the box balks on you and it seems like the tranny is broken. Typical VAG manual box.

jasaretta
January 26th, 2007, 21:28
I havent seen it but agree with Audihead. The lighter the better. I sometimes hit what your saying from 1st to 2nd....proably just us ;)

gazzab
January 26th, 2007, 22:32
Thanks James and Audihead, you are probably right, I only notice it with third though, may be becasue that red line rushes at you and trying to change quickly and so more pressure is applied.

I will try the lighter touch.

James by the way isn't it time we had another soiree!?

Gazzab

Benman
January 26th, 2007, 23:58
...Typical VAG manual box...

I'd disagree. I thought the RS 4 that a certain kind stranger was generous enough to allow me to drive was the sweetest shifting of any VAG product I've ever driven. Nothing typical about it. (thanks again!:cheers: )

And if you think 2nd to 3rd in that is tuff, try gear changing in my track car! I swear I'm shifting an old 78' Fox! :stick: :applause:

Ben:addict:

Mori
January 27th, 2007, 00:25
Like a wise racing driver once told me - changing gears is a symphony, not a wrestling match.

I haven't noticed what you mentioned - though I'm not very ham-handed with the lever myself.

gazzab
January 27th, 2007, 00:53
To add to this thread, I would reinforce it is only changing from 2nd to third, and usually I am not "ham" fisted.

Gazzab

maybachgt
January 27th, 2007, 02:59
I've had the same problem but fron 1st to second and only under full throttle. I was drag racing my friends S4 and it felt as though second was "blocked" but i just slowed things down and put in in softly but still quickly. I have no idea why yours wont go in to third if your being gentle sounds wierd.

p.s Still beat my friend's b7 s4 with a 1.5 second 2nd gear shift!!:rs4addict

gazzab
January 27th, 2007, 04:32
Welcome Maybachgt, like you it occurs to me under full throttle, no other times.

Gazzab

maybachgt
January 27th, 2007, 05:03
I also have another question. I recently had a track day (which was awesome!) and i would come into turns at high 80-100mph speeds and i would shift into second(still clutch in) under braking at 60-80 mph and i wouldnt go in either. I was wondering if there is some speed sensor that blocks you from shifting into second or any other gear at too high of a speed?

Toto89
January 27th, 2007, 11:40

Gazzab

I had a ride in a RS4 last month and the case was completely the same!I made a video of the testdrive and I can also hear on the vid that it makes strange noise to switch the 3rd gear.:eye:

jasaretta
January 27th, 2007, 13:06
Thanks James and Audihead, you are probably right, I only notice it with third though, may be becasue that red line rushes at you and trying to change quickly and so more pressure is applied.

I will try the lighter touch.

James by the way isn't it time we had another soiree!?

Gazzab

I think you're right....I'll post something.

Audihead
January 28th, 2007, 02:04
I'd disagree. I thought the RS 4 that a certain kind stranger was generous enough to allow me to drive was the sweetest shifting of any VAG product I've ever driven. Nothing typical about it. (thanks again!:cheers: )

And if you think 2nd to 3rd in that is tuff, try gear changing in my track car! I swear I'm shifting an old 78' Fox! :stick: :applause:

Ben:addict:

:cheers: Back at ya! You really have to get into the box and the revs to get the feeling. I have had the 1st to 2nd balking, the second to third, never. Downshifting, I have had the problem when it is very hot outside and the car has been at highspeeds for repeated and long times. Still, if you are gentle as described above, the car will respond to your inputs. If not, maybe get out and talk to it sweetly.:jlol:

BryanF
January 28th, 2007, 10:55
Gazzab

I have had the same issue but with mine it was changing from 3rd BACK to 2nd.It's happened twice now.I've reclutched and it's gone back into 2nd no probs.

I can't tell you if I was driving hard when it's happened ...but the next time it occurs I'II let you know

15,000 kms and still a magnificent machine........

Bryanf

BryanF
January 28th, 2007, 10:58
Gazzab

A second thought....I recently had the clutch hose replaced and it hasn't occured since !!!!

BryanF

gazzab
January 28th, 2007, 11:52
Bryan,

Mine has occured since clutch hose was replaced. Thats interesting that you, James and I have had the clutch done.

You keen for a outing, ? Yarra ?? Macedon, I will send out a group email, I think OZRS4 is coming down from Sydney at some stage and mentioned the Great Ocean Road.

Gazzab