PDA

View Full Version : Brakes....

cally
January 22nd, 2007, 08:00
Would you guys choose ceramic brakes for front? or rather having the 4 pots calipers and disc at the rear so that it will have a better balance between the front and rear.

Webbah
January 22nd, 2007, 09:42
When you brake heavily most of the braking happens in the front of the car due to gravity. Front brakes always are under more stress than rears.

Best,

Webbah

Erik
January 22nd, 2007, 09:50
The car is front heavy. That's where you need your brakes.

MR USER
January 22nd, 2007, 11:05
I would install parachutes in the back if I were you!

Ceramic are nice to have but pretty useless for the everiday use. As mentioned in several thread they are good if you are often on track!

Mori
January 22nd, 2007, 13:59
I would install parachutes in the back if I were you!

Ceramic are nice to have but pretty useless for the everiday use. As mentioned in several thread they are good if you are often on track!

Not really. Try braking hard on the autobahn 5-10 times on the standard brakes. :D

Oh and to underline the difference - I almost crashed my mom's X3 when I started to brake late with it 3 days ago - my first thought was "Shit! The brakes aren't working at all!" Please take note that the X3 has really decent brakes - much better than on my S3.

If you can afford it - go for ceramics. The more people get them, the faster our children will have them standard on their cars.

I don't track my car and the brakes simply amaze me. Razor sharp at all times.

PS. Read my thread in this forum regarding Ceramic brakes - I posted a quick review.

MR USER
January 22nd, 2007, 14:08
I drove mine very very hard on a stretch of 60 km with 3rg gear turns... There was some fading at the end (last 10km) but I just had to push harder on the brakes! The standard brakes are more then enough IMHO. I drove the RS4 on circuit as well and the disks were 570 degrees celsius after a cooling lap... still no problem at all! If I could go back I would not tick the ceramic option... and I am glad I did not

Mori
January 22nd, 2007, 14:17
I'm glad I took it - those few extra metres can save your life, or someone elses.

I drove a 911 4S with PCCB to the track for the driving experience so I had a direct comparison between Audi and Porsche. There was one RS4 without ceramics and it had a hard time keeping up with the rest of us because of having to brake early. There's not much of a difference - I agree. But those 2 metres can save your life in a critical situation.

Webbah
January 23rd, 2007, 11:15
I have them on my RS4 as well. I had a Porsche with PCCB's and will never go back. The difference is worth every penny to me. And a little bonus is that my rims don't get the nasty brake dust as much as standard. ;)

piero
January 23rd, 2007, 12:05
Useless if no track IMHO...standard brakes are amazing!

cally
January 24th, 2007, 08:53
Thx guys i have to think what should i choose hehe so many different answers.

IulianUM
January 27th, 2007, 01:10
There is no need for the Ceramic brakes , the standard are very good , but if I had the oportunity when I ordered the car , Ceramic for me please . I like all that "little" things , sorry .:blush:

Fab
January 27th, 2007, 16:16
well if the extra cost is not a big deal then why not getting them and have the best of the best for this car. Yes the difference is not huge but still a plus.

Let's be honest : only a small part of the world wide RS4 owners will push the car VERY hard and really then feel the difference on serious driving runs. I don't see the point of braking 5-10 times on high speed highway....

I think there is not much to add :cheers:

Mori
January 27th, 2007, 21:26
I don't see the point of braking 5-10 times on high speed highway....

I don't see it either but sometimes you don't have a choice and just have to. Especially when you're doing 200 in the fast lane, and some idiot trucker decides to overtake on a two lane autobahn. Happens often to me. :/