PDA

View Full Version : Fastest Street Legal Car: 2200 BHP!

LU-RS6
January 15th, 2007, 23:07
0-60 in 1 second :bow:
Quarter mile in 7,8 seconds :bow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtxfbxGz1u4

Best regards
LU-RS6

Payne
January 18th, 2007, 23:24
Damn, That IS FAST!!:burnout:

JAXRS6
January 19th, 2007, 17:16
As commented at the end, it's pretty impressive that a Brit in his garage can create a one-off car faster than the world's best -- at a fraction of their prices!:applause: Also thought was interesting that he chose a 72 Vauxhall (sp?) for its shape and looking "American."

I do wish the piece had mentioned tires. When putting 2200 bhp to the pavement, that has to be one of the biggest challenges -- and this car rockets ahead in a very straight line, at least in the video. Does anyone know anything about the tires he used? Not that I'd rush out to buy a set, but I'm curious how they maintain traction when being put under such stress.:idea: There should be some tranny lessons here too!

ott
January 20th, 2007, 14:39
You cannot really compare Veyron to purpose built dragrace car. Like comparing apples to oranges. It may be quickest, but just for 400 m. After that it needs valvelash and spark plugs checked, provided nothing didn't blew up, like it often happens at this power level. It seems that in UK one can register and run anything, which has wheels attatched to it.

Btw. I'm big fan of dragracing and this car is very impressive, probably not the worlds fastest in 1/4 mile, I remember seeing faster "streetlegal" cars in US magazines.

Edit: tyres on such kind of cars are usually Mickey Thompson ET Street or similar street legal racing tyres. If it's raining, car is undriveable on those. Sure tires are important, but even more important is correct chassis geometry and those cars use special dragracing suspension, which can be adjusted in accordance to track and weather condition. When we talk 7 sec. cars, well working chassis setup can reduce your time more than addtional 500 hp.

JAXRS6
January 20th, 2007, 16:48
Good points all, ott -- thanks! :dig:

Mori
January 22nd, 2007, 14:38
The difference is that you won't go on holidays in that car, while in the Veyron you can, with reasonable comfort and not having to spend hours under the hood when you arrive to check if everything is ok.

Respect for the bloke - but I -would- swap it for a Veyron. ;)