PDA

View Full Version : 19" Wheels on the A8L

Finnus
April 25th, 2003, 12:56
I just received an e-mail from Audi USA announcing pricing for the RS6 (nothing new) and the A8L. Intertingly, the A8L comes with a 19" wheel option.

http://www.audiusa.com/about_pressrelease_detail/0,,articleId-20000446_countrycode-1_subUsageId-9999999416_,00.html

Why would this option be avialable on the A8L and not the RS6???

This seems to cut against Audi's "rough US roads" argument we've been hearing as the reason the 19" wheels are not available on the RS6. Does the firmer suspension on the RS6 make Audi's argument plausible?

:addict:

jimmy94507
April 25th, 2003, 19:05
Interesting points! Did you also note the options for Front & Rear Parktronic, Tire Pressure Monitoring system and Optional Solar roof panel? Has anyone heard a plausible explanation for dropping the RS6 Front Parktronic and Tire pressure monitoring system? We've heard their rational for dropping the 19" wheel option, but as you pointed out, the roads in the US are apparently good enough to make 19" wheels available for the new A8L and as I recall, the new S4 comes with the Tire Pressure Monitoring system standard? Strangely mixed messaging coming from the AOA Marketing folks?
Jim

peterb
April 25th, 2003, 23:29
Originally posted by Finnus
This seems to cut against Audi's "rough US roads" argument we've been hearing as the reason the 19" wheels are not available on the RS6. Does the firmer suspension on the RS6 make Audi's argument plausible?
But what size of tyre will be fitted to the A8 19" wheel? It's all down to the sidewall stiffness, which will be dependent, amongst other things, on the sidewall height. In the UK, the 19" option on the A8 comes with 255/40/19, which is the same sidewall height as the 18" RS6 fitment.

Benman
April 26th, 2003, 17:18
Finnus, it is crappy that audi n.a. didn't give us in the U.S. an
option of having the 19" wheels. especially after reading the same
thing you did on how they'll be available on the A8. the ONLY
possible thing i can EVEN think of is the fact that the A8's air
suspension might cushion the ride more than the RS6 could. oh
well, what are you going to do?:cheers:

ben:addict:

Finnus
April 26th, 2003, 17:40
Ben,

It's just hard to understand Audi's logic.

Although I have to confess, my disappointment level is about .001% - in other words, next to nothing. If I really want 19" wheels, I'll look to the aftermarket.

I plan on sticking with the 18" wheels. The roads back east here really got beat up this winter & it's going to be a while before they take care of them.

Finnus :cheers:

:addict:

Benman
April 26th, 2003, 17:42
i don't understand their reasons as well. but like you, i plan to
stick with the stock 18" wheels as the 91 freeway we have here
in so cal is pretty crappy.:cheers:

scoop
April 27th, 2003, 10:16
Regarding the tire pressure monitoring, if I'm not completely mistaken the Japanese RS6s won't get that either since supposedly it isn't legalised over there. They even had a set of separate tire/rim sets for the Japanese market set aside when I visited quattro GmbH earlier this year.

Wasn't there a .jp RS6 driver on the board? Could you comment on this?

Erik
April 27th, 2003, 16:23
Originally posted by scoop
Wasn't there a .jp RS6 driver on the board? Could you comment on this?

4G it was, but he's an A6 2.7T driver.

nene
May 5th, 2003, 18:52
I'm sticking with my 18" for most of the year, because roads up in New England are darn hazardous.
Seriously though, Boston roads are the reason SUVs are so hot selling in the USA.

I plan to get some 19" or 20" for the RS6 however, and I plan to go with HRE's 840R set!

Red RS6 with Red/White/Blue HRE center cap.

http://216.73.121.214/wheels/images/enlarge/enlarge-840r.jpg