PDA

View Full Version : Importing RS4 B7 Avant to the USA

Webbah
January 13th, 2007, 18:38
Hello everyone,

I'll be receiving my new 2007 RS4 Avant in 2 weeks. The wait has been painful but it's almost over! I live in Switzerland and there is a likely chance I'll be going back to the USA in about 1 1/2 years. I'm curious to know if anyone has any tips on how I could import this car to the USA (if possible), etc.

Main concern is that the RS4 is only sold in the US as the Sedan/Saloon model. No Avant as of now. Otherwise I think they are fairly similar with only minor adaptations needed.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Craig

reimon
January 13th, 2007, 20:19
Hi!

When did you made your order??

I made my RS4 Avant order in 26th december, and still donīt know when the beast will be delivered

Webbah
January 13th, 2007, 20:26
Hi reimon,

I ordered mine on November 17th. Got a call last week that production will finish on January 22nd and it should be 5-10 days after that to receive the car. Hoping to have it the last week of January!

Patience my friend!

Ciao,

Craig

audivwfirst
January 15th, 2007, 05:48
Hello everyone,

I'll be receiving my new 2007 RS4 Avant in 2 weeks. The wait has been painful but it's almost over! I live in Switzerland and there is a likely chance I'll be going back to the USA in about 1 1/2 years. I'm curious to know if anyone has any tips on how I could import this car to the USA (if possible), etc.

Main concern is that the RS4 is only sold in the US as the Sedan/Saloon model. No Avant as of now. Otherwise I think they are fairly similar with only minor adaptations needed.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Craig

are you US citizen or swiss? if you are US citizen and going back to US, most likely you won't have a chance to take the car back, There is possibility of bringing the car if you are non-us citizen and temporary working in US.
They were few people who imported B5 RS4 Avant to usa but certifying cost almost 65000 us..

Webbah
January 15th, 2007, 07:55
I'm a US citizen. That's pretty outrageous! Swiss laws (for pollution on vehicles, etc) can be even more strict than the US. I brought my US Porsche 996 here and they certified it without any modifications except for the color of the turning lamps. The speedometer on that car was switchable between MPH and Kph so that wasn't an issue.

I've heard so many different thoughts on this. Would love it if someone viewing this board was a Registered Importer in the USA with some good insight!

BigRick
January 15th, 2007, 14:04
From what I know the problem is not with emission. It's related to security devices, Side airbags and streeting wheel (front collision testing haven't been done by Audi to comply to US regulation) There might be other issues that I don't know of also.

Even specialized importers were unable to get an avant for me. So it might be quite dificult for an independant.

You have a year to find out, I wish you luck!

audivwfirst
January 16th, 2007, 03:21
You can contact Josh at Achtuning.com, he is one the people who went through certifing a used B5 RS4 avant.. most of the registration and certifing involves paper work and testing , some small modification might needed to get certified..

Webbah
January 16th, 2007, 08:54
Thanks guys for the tips... I knew it wouldn't be easy. I'll contact Josh at Achtuning.com and also the contacts I've received in PM's. Appreciate the feedback! For those that might be interested I will update this post with any information I get. At least I have a year to sort it out and maybe longer depending on the job situation here... I just didn't want to be caught with my pants down at the last minute!

Thanks again!

Benman
January 16th, 2007, 15:49
Webbah,

Josh has since sold Achtuning so won't be there for contact. He has since formed Status Seats:

http://www.statusracing.com/

You can contact him directly there. However, be warned, after talking to him, you may be persuaded to give up on bring the avant Stateside, it's that crappy of an ordeal. I was able to talk to him in person a few years back on this very process... he is still bitter towards our "benevolent" government...:cheers:

Ben:addict:

Webbah
January 16th, 2007, 16:11
Thanks for the update Ben. Much appreciated! It's a real shame things are so complicated. One of the reasons I prefer to stay in Europe is because I am a piston head! Switzerland for sure isn't the best place for driving fast (cameras everywhere and zero tolerance), but Germany is only a few hours away... ;) Driving in the Swiss /French alps is quite fun too though.

I'm going to make sure to drive my baby throughout Germany, and perhaps even go to the Isle of Man for a few hoots before selling it if that is what I'll have to do.

Cheers bud,

Craig

Benman
January 16th, 2007, 16:16
No worries.:thumb:

Germany is my favorite vacation spot in the world! To date, my personal "land speed record" is 174mph (indicated) in a RS 6 on, you guessed it, the world famous Autobahn...

As for the Isle of Man, please get in touch with Klint. You can search for him on the "Members List". He lives there so could give some suggestions on highlight spots. :thumb:

Ben:addict:

LU-RS6
January 16th, 2007, 16:30
Webbah,

If you're going to the IOM, I will be very angry with you if you don't give me a message. :D
I am 100% joining you in my RS6 in case you would be going. Germany is fun, and some of the "Landstrassen" take quite a little effort to drive, but I think the IOM is a whole different category, one of my dreams to drive there.:dig:

Best regards
LU-RS6

Webbah
January 16th, 2007, 16:35
Well, I think we should arrange a Swiss Road Trip then! As mentioned previously, I get my Avant in less than 2 weeks. Let me break her in during the winter and then we should arrange a trip to Germany or IOM in the Spring! I'm sure we could get a few other Swissys to join us! ;)

There is also some trip called the Autobahn Run. Need to check the details and find the site again. It's rather cool. You pay a set fee and all these cars join up. You meet in Stuttgart (I think) and then everything is organized for 4-5 days. Driving to different cities on the AB, track days in various tracks (including the big N), hotel and night club guest lists, etc. I wanted to do it last year in my Porsche but other priorities came up.

Sounds interesting eh?

Cheers!

LU-RS6
January 16th, 2007, 16:45
I am SO up for it, no doubt! :incar:
I was discussing a trip through Germany already in the following thread, but hey, if you'd like to expand our horizons to the IOM, I have no problem with that :0:
http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10836

Autobahn Run? Sounds exactly like what I am planning to do in the above link.
Webbah, in case you would be moving to the U.S., let's make sure you'll get the best goodbye gift there is available. Germany Autobahn + the IOM, that's like as good as it gets :dig:

Keep me informed or discuss this further in the thread I started,

Best regards
LU-RS6