PDA

View Full Version : Autocar Report: VW may sell Lambo and Bugatti

tazsura
January 12th, 2007, 11:09
More fuel for the fire that we suggested....

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/223808/

"....has allegedly commissioned an ultra-high-performance Porsche supercar to break the top speed record set by the Bugatti Veyron."

I LIKE the sound of that however! :music:

Taz

AndyBG
January 12th, 2007, 12:49
Bugatti, Bentley, Lamborghini and Skoda.

That is what I heard...

I VEEERY sad about that fact... :cry:

Lateknight
January 12th, 2007, 12:52
"No toys" apart from Porsche. :nono: A real case of 'do as I say, not as I do'

The Veyron must have really have stung Porsche, to make them consider making something even faster.
It would surely prove to be a money pit for Porsche (although not as bad as the Veyron was for VW)

I am going to take this story with some sceptisicm. Autocar not being the most reliable source of info as of late. They probably got the idea after reading RS6.com and thought it would make a scoop.;)

Lateknight
January 12th, 2007, 13:07
Bugatti, Bentley, Lamborghini and Skoda.

That is what I heard...

I VEEERY sad about that fact... :cry:

I'd be surprised at Bentley being sold off. They have bulging order books and are paying back the investment made in them.
To me, Bentley has the ultimate prestige 'badge' in the motor industry (higher than even Rolls or Maybach), but that IS just my opinion.

Skoda would be a real shocker. Volkswagen have spent so much time and money turning that company around from the laughing stock it once was. It now has respectability and makes good cars that owners swear by.

Time will tell.

AndyBG
January 12th, 2007, 13:13
That story goes trough Porsche side, aparently they want to cut all possible spending of money, and to put Porsche on the top of Sport/luxury segment, for that reason Bentley, Lambo' and Bugatti will may go...

Skoda is just for cutting money spending.

But I don't like that idea, I want all together.

Leadfoot
January 12th, 2007, 13:37
The only brands that need to be off loaded are Seat and Lamborghini. Bugatti doesn't really have any real value as a brand based on recent work including the Veyron. Lamborghini is ok for VAG to have but if Porsche take control there really isn't a need for another supercar maker in the group unless Porsche don't see the need to move their range up-market. If they did keep Lambo then with their input they could easily match or better Ferrari's efforts.

tazsura
January 12th, 2007, 14:01
Yeh, Seat really is dead weight in my eyes, and needs to be sold. They seem to have no direction what-so-ever in their product line-up.

I wonder, could Lambo and Porsche survive together? Looking thorugh their respective ranges, it's only really the Gallardo and 997 Turbo that overlap. The LP640 is on its own, and Carrera GT is a supercar special. The Boxster, Cayenne, Cayman and Panamera (?) are have no rival from Lambo.

Porsche seem to be covering a wider range of markets whereas Lambo are staying focused on sports cars. Why can't they co-exist?:vhmmm:

Taz

Klint
January 12th, 2007, 15:35
A good time to be a billionaire. Snatch up Aston Martin, Lamborghini and Bugatti all in a week.

tailpipe
January 12th, 2007, 17:24
Bentley is not making a profit yet, unlike Aston-Martin. Given the price paid for Bentley by VW - which was meant also to include Rolls-Royce (Ferdinand Piech failed to realise that BMW already owned the rights to the name so failed to get it, but that's another story) - the return on investment sucks. But Bentley can yield a worthwhile return, it just needs more time. I agree, it would be a pity if VW were to sell it.

Leadfoot
January 12th, 2007, 23:17
Bentley is not making a profit yet, unlike Aston-Martin. Given the price paid for Bentley by VW - which was meant also to include Rolls-Royce (Ferdinand Piech failed to realise that BMW already owned the rights to the name so failed to get it, but that's another story) - the return on investment sucks. But Bentley can yield a worthwhile return, it just needs more time. I agree, it would be a pity if VW were to sell it.

I know one of Ferdinand Piech many boobs, but agreed that in time Bentley will be the most profitable luxury car manufacturer out there and I mean luxury Rolls Royce, Maybach etc.

VW or Porsche will not sell Bentley, it would be at least number four in the list after Seat, Bugatti and Lamborghini.

Lateknight
January 13th, 2007, 00:03
A good time to be a billionaire. Snatch up Aston Martin, Lamborghini and Bugatti all in a week.

I would imagine Ford would have a special offer on Aston Martin.
Buy Aston Martin and get Jaguar FREE! :hihi:

chewym
January 13th, 2007, 01:41
Bugatti sure. It was a one off, a potential sedan would also struggle to make moeny. But Lambo can be a cash cow and make nice money. It looks like Porsche only wants to get a few sales. Anyways Porsche strives on making toys that are sold to rich people and most don't care about their handling and such and only want the badge. Same with Lambo of course. If Lambo was sold off I am sure they would be gone from the market soon as the Gallardo and Murcielago would have to run untill 2015 or somethin. This is the Porsche that won't help.

Bentley is having immense sucess, not sure about the financail side but they are selling tons of very expensive cars.

Iceman
January 13th, 2007, 09:13
Autocar not being the most reliable source of info as of late. ;)
And that is a big under statement. ;)

Hans.

Klint
January 13th, 2007, 12:39
Bugatti sure. It was a one off, a potential sedan would also struggle to make moeny. But Lambo can be a cash cow and make nice money. It looks like Porsche only wants to get a few sales. Anyways Porsche strives on making toys that are sold to rich people and most don't care about their handling and such and only want the badge. Same with Lambo of course. If Lambo was sold off I am sure they would be gone from the market soon as the Gallardo and Murcielago would have to run untill 2015 or somethin. This is the Porsche that won't help.

Bentley is having immense sucess, not sure about the financail side but they are selling tons of very expensive cars.
Wow!

Those words are abit harsh!

People do buy cars for the badges but each different badge comes with different qualities and that's really what people are buying. Also, saying Porsches and Lambos don't handle is a big understatement.

Not too sure how independent each manufacturer is in regards to finance, but outside investment does help and i doubt these brands are surviving purely from these outside "donations".

Leadfoot
January 13th, 2007, 14:43
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Lateknight http://www.rs6.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?p=84056#post84056)
Autocar not being the most reliable source of info as of late. ;)
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

And that is a big under statement. ;)

Hans.

Not only has Autocar's info been wrong, they have been in the back pocket of BMW for years.:hihi:

chewym
January 13th, 2007, 20:18
Wow!

Those words are abit harsh!

People do buy cars for the badges but each different badge comes with different qualities and that's really what people are buying. Also, saying Porsches and Lambos don't handle is a big understatement.

Not too sure how independent each manufacturer is in regards to finance, but outside investment does help and i doubt these brands are surviving purely from these outside "donations".

I am just saying that lots of Lambos are sold to celebreties that don't care about how well they handle and a lot of Porsches are sold to people that don't use them on the track and on twisty roads.

Klint
January 14th, 2007, 11:18
I am just saying that lots of Lambos are sold to celebreties that don't care about how well they handle and a lot of Porsches are sold to people that don't use them on the track and on twisty roads.
Wow, someone's digging themselves a hole!

Wouldn't you say at least 99% of any type of car doesn't go on the track (unless it's a track car oriented manufacturer)?

chewym
January 19th, 2007, 22:35
Porsche is flying cars to Mexico now. I think that costs some major money. So Porsche how about 'em toys, how about using a boat to ship your cars to Mexico???

http://www.egmcartech.com/2007/01/19/121-2008-porsche-cayenne-suvs-fly-to-mexico/

borispmchan
January 25th, 2007, 14:51
Why selling Bentley?! I love it. It is just better than Rolls Royce and Maybach! It's different from these two as it looks sleek!

steffenr
January 29th, 2007, 10:18
I would imagine Ford would have a special offer on Aston Martin.
Buy Aston Martin and get Jaguar FREE! :hihi:

I saw in a danish car mag, that it was buy land rover and get aston for free

steffenr
February 2nd, 2007, 22:20
just heard today that the company behind Louis vuitton, Crystal etc. etc. have bought aston, cant really deside if it's a good or a bad thing

AndyBG
February 3rd, 2007, 01:48
Great, now Aston M is going to become ''true drivers'' car... :doh: