PDA

View Full Version : newbie first post...and a question regarding Euro license plates

woobanger
January 11th, 2007, 06:43
Hello RS6.COM...

I've been an avid reader of the forums for a couple of weeks, and I've finally taken the initiative to sign up and say hello.

I'm an owner of a 2003 silver C5 S6 sedan/saloon in Seoul, Korea. This is my second Audi, I was also an owner of a 1997 A4 1.8T.

I've found the S6 to be a great all-rounder without many faults. I still admire the C5 shape to this day, especially the V8's with the flared fenders. Top notch interior, notably the Recaros and the blue-weave CF. Drivetrain is wonderful, punchy yet smooth. The only gripe I have, and this is a minor one, is that the stock 17 inch wheels are a bit small for a car this size and power this day and age. I mean the S4 has stock 18s and even the S3s have stock 17s...right?

I'm possibly considering a switch to an RS6 within the next 12 months. But let me save this for another post.

I was hoping that you could help me with a rather annoying problem I've got. In Korea, our license plates historically have been in the US mold. Different color (green) and number scheme, but the identical size. Late last year, we've switched to a white Euro sized plate, while also giving people the option of adopting a white US size plate, for those cars which can not physically accomodate the long Euro plates.

Wanting to make the switch to the new Euro plate, I ordered the black rear trunk license plate frame (you know the one), only to find out that for administrative reasons, they will only issue you a Euro plate for the front, and not the rear, for cars that are making the switch. Apparently they'll only issue the Euro plate for the rear to new cars which have been 'Euro plate prepped'.

Many people including myself have tried the 'I own a European car and they are made for the Euro plates' logic to no avail. They've asked for a 'vehicle manufacture certificate' which proves that it's appropriate to adopt the long Euro plates in the rear.

Now I have no idea what this is, and they probably don't either, but I imagine some official document from Audi in Europe that can support this claim. Anyone here can think of something that may serve this purpose? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and safe driving.

skiwi
January 11th, 2007, 07:28
hi, welcome aboard! i imagine that your local audi importer (not dealer) would be able to supply the documentation - after all they will be responsible for type approval...

Benman
January 12th, 2007, 00:17
Excellent first post and welcome aboard! :cheers:

I think skiwi's suggestion is the best one. :thumb:

Ben:addict:

Lateknight
January 12th, 2007, 00:40
Welcome to the forum.
Its probably a long shot, but, if you can supply me with your V.I.N (chassis) number, I can see if any of your pr (option and equipment) numbers make any reference to European approval.
There is, very rarely any reference to number plate type or size mentioned specifically in these options. Its mostly type approvals for the vehicles intended destination.
Getting a 'certificate' will be a problem, though. All I could get you would be a printoff list of the codes for your car and what they mean. It should give you a head start with your importer.

My own personal opinion would be that if the vehicle was manufactured with an appeture for square number plate, it is not going to have a European approval.

P.M me if you want me to try.