PDA

View Full Version : Haldex split for S3

RacerBice
January 3rd, 2007, 12:39
According to Evo, the Haldex Quattro system for the new S3 is calibrated at 40 % drive on the front wheels and 60 % on the rear in normal mode. I.e. just like in the RS4 and S4. Could this really be? Does anyone know? I've been looking through all press material that I have, and there is no mention anywhere of the split. Or perhaps I've just become selectively blind. :rolleyes:

RB

Leadfoot
January 4th, 2007, 15:33
According to Evo, the Haldex Quattro system for the new S3 is calibrated at 40 % drive on the front wheels and 60 % on the rear in normal mode. I.e. just like in the RS4 and S4. Could this really be? Does anyone know? I've been looking through all press material that I have, and there is no mention anywhere of the split. Or perhaps I've just become selectively blind. :rolleyes:

RB

We have debated this a few weeks ago and it nearly caused a riot back then, that possibly why no one has replied.:noshake:

If memory serves me, the system is 85%/15% front to rear with the option to go 100% either way. :thumb:

steffenr
January 4th, 2007, 16:54
EIP tuning have made a kit that makes the haldex go 20/80, on the old one i dont know about this one.

Iceman
January 4th, 2007, 17:25
Haldex will never get transfer more than 50% of the power to the rear wheels.
The Haldex gets it's power from the right front driveshaft and not
from a central diff (like Torsen) there for it not possible to transfer more then 50%.

Hans.

Leadfoot
January 4th, 2007, 17:38
Hans,

I thought that too, but was told the new one has an electronic slip diff that allows the power to be transferred to the back.

I don't know how true this statement is so don't quote me on it.

hurahn
January 4th, 2007, 18:50
You talking about these?
http://www.eiptuning.com/eip/haldex.html

Mr Balsen
January 4th, 2007, 18:55
Hans,

I thought that too, but was told the new one has an electronic slip diff that allows the power to be transferred to the back.

I don't know how true this statement is so don't quote me on it.

MTM is actually developping a kit for the new Haldex. On the old one, there is a kit to lock 50%/50% power distribution whatever the roads and driving style.

Cheers,
Frederic

Iceman
January 4th, 2007, 19:06
All true but it will never be more than 50%.

Hans.

Leadfoot
January 4th, 2007, 21:28
RacerBice,

You see what you have started, you have opened a can of worms.

steffenr
January 4th, 2007, 22:58
You talking about these?
http://www.eiptuning.com/eip/haldex.html

yes, but it looks like they have changed the info sinced I last looked now it's 50/50:nana: :D

Leadfoot
January 4th, 2007, 23:50
Who cares if it's 40/60, 60/40, 85/15 or 50/50. All I know is the bloody things handle and handle well. I have wrote on more than one occasion that I personally prefer the Haldex system to the Torsen system of the original Quattro. There is no doubt the Torsen provides better grip especially on slippy conditions but with the Haldex you feel the power shifting more and that what I like, I want to know what's going on below me. One thing I will add this above statement applys to the 50/50 Torsen and not the 40/60 as I has very little experience of and as such can't comment on it though it is a lot better than the original.

Mr Balsen
January 5th, 2007, 21:21
To anybody who has doubt about the haldex technologies, The Bugati Veyron has three of them ! ! ! !

Cheers,
Frederic

Leadfoot
January 5th, 2007, 22:04
To anybody who has doubt about the haldex technologies, The Bugati Veyron has three of them ! ! ! !

Cheers,
Frederic

That's because an Irish man was there at the development. When he was asked why three of them he replied to be sure, to be sure, to be sure of the grip.:hihi:

RacerBice
January 5th, 2007, 23:43
The point - for me - is that my old S3 basically felt like a FWD car, with the ability to quite smoothly, though not un-noticeably, shift power to the rear wheels. Thus to some extent a subjective matter of perception. But in fact, there are two things I'm going to miss with my present A4, the first of which is obviously the wonderfully efficient Quattro and the perfectly balanced driving characteristics on icy and snowy winter roads. In comparison to this, my previous S3 felt borderline scary when the going got tough. In spite of brand new, test winning tires from Nokian. I will always remember my first S3 winter trip to the Swedish ski resort of Are, when I was taken by complete surprise in a moderately sharp bend at comparatively low speed and all wheels suddenly - without even a hint of a warning - lost all grip. This itself was worrying enough. But as I experimented with this I discovered that the Haldex in fact did not provide the same flexibility in these kinds of situations as the Torsen diff system does. And since I drive ten thousands of miles per winter in difficult conditions, I was slightly hoping that the Evo statement concerning a 40/60 split was in fact true. Although I have always gathered it is in fact 85/15. And I'm content with that, don't get me wrong. Hell, I have already ordered the bloody thing.... :thumb:

RB

Ps. The second thing I'll miss is the interior....which is simply unmatched by anything sub 50k.

Leadfoot
January 6th, 2007, 17:16
The point - for me - is that my old S3 basically felt like a FWD car, with the ability to quite smoothly, though not un-noticeably, shift power to the rear wheels. Thus to some extent a subjective matter of perception. But in fact, there are two things I'm going to miss with my present A4, the first of which is obviously the wonderfully efficient Quattro and the perfectly balanced driving characteristics on icy and snowy winter roads. In comparison to this, my previous S3 felt borderline scary when the going got tough. In spite of brand new, test winning tires from Nokian. I will always remember my first S3 winter trip to the Swedish ski resort of Are, when I was taken by complete surprise in a moderately sharp bend at comparatively low speed and all wheels suddenly - without even a hint of a warning - lost all grip. This itself was worrying enough. But as I experimented with this I discovered that the Haldex in fact did not provide the same flexibility in these kinds of situations as the Torsen diff system does. And since I drive ten thousands of miles per winter in difficult conditions, I was slightly hoping that the Evo statement concerning a 40/60 split was in fact true. Although I have always gathered it is in fact 85/15. And I'm content with that, don't get me wrong. Hell, I have already ordered the bloody thing.... :thumb:

RB

Ps. The second thing I'll miss is the interior....which is simply unmatched by anything sub 50k.

I have read a lot of reports about the new system that state it shifts the power a lot quicker than before and with the electronic diffs front & rear the car is a lot more playful, in other words you can get it quite sideways if you provoke it.

I don't doubt Hans when his says that the Haldex system can only send 50% to the rear wheels, but it does make me wonder why such informed roadtesters like the ones from EVO and Autocar are getting it so wrong. I also understand that there is more than one version of this system, Haldex 1 was in the original TT/S3, Haldex 2 is in the new TT/S3 and I think Haldex 3 is in the Volvo XC90 and Mazda 6 MPS. We know there is a difference between 1 and 2 but I would like to know what is the difference with 3.

Mr Balsen
January 6th, 2007, 17:38
That's because an Irish man was there at the development. When he was asked why three of them he replied to be sure, to be sure, to be sure of the grip.:hihi:

I understood Irish don't use a matches three times because of the english army. So why will he ask three time for the grip ? ? ? :D :D :D

Cheers,
Frederic