PDA

View Full Version : Official: Audi A5 To Debut at Geneva 2007

chewym
January 3rd, 2007, 03:39
While we have known about this for a while this is the official confirmation from a company source.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle.aspx?AR=223691

It is likely that Audi will actually show the car a day or so before the auto show in some of site location. A teser site like the one for the Q7 and the TT is likely as well.

We can now start to discuss what the A5 will be like.

Engines: The 3.2 and 4.2 FSI (255 and 350 hp) are obvious bets but I would like to see the 300 hp 3.2 V6 FSI with Valvelift (from the Roadjet Concept) and a larger V8 with around 400 hp for the possible S5 version (new 4.8-liter Porsche Cayenne engine?)

Gearboxes: 6 speed automatic is guaranteed, 6 speed manual is possible. The 7 speed DSG (from the Roadjet Concept) is rumoured, it should be awesome and it should be ready by now.

Platform: The new MLP (which stands for Modular Platform for longitudinally mounted engines) has promised a lot (better handling, better weight distribution, shorter overhangs)

Size: The A5 is expected to be around 185 inches (4.7 meters) so it should have decent rear seat space. The wheelbase is expected to be around 112 inches (2.85 meters) so the overhangs should be shorter.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j193/espnnbaboards/a5.jpg

Feel free to add your wishes and desires.

AndyBG
January 3rd, 2007, 10:34
Hope this is true, but litle bit to optimistic in my opinion, will see...

Damienr8
January 3rd, 2007, 15:58
Hope this is true, but litle bit to optimistic in my opinion, will see...

Agree to an extent. I predict the following:

1. Engine Choices - 3.2l FSI (255 bhp), 4.2l FSI (350bhp)
2. Transmission Options - 6-speed S-tronic, 6-speed Manual
3. Platform - New MLP. I hope that the improvements in this new platform give the A5 the handling characteristics of a RWD sports sedan with the saftey and assurance of a AWD sports sedan. I also REALLY hope that the front overhang is decreased by a good amount.
4. I am not too keen about the size. A little larger than I hoped for. Ah well.

Thanks,
- Damien

RXBG
January 3rd, 2007, 16:13
i predict, for the US market, only the new 300 hp V6 and the 350 hp V8. and that is just for the A5 variant. for the S5 i predict a tuned down version of the RS4 engine. for the RS5 i predict a V10.

and i also predict the 7 speed DSG and a regular manual as options.

i suspect it will weigh no more than the B7 A4 despite being larger.

Iceman
January 3rd, 2007, 19:25
Here are the Facts:
A5 Coupe' Geneva 2007.
A4 Sedan IAA Frankfurt 2007.
A4 Avant Geneva 2008.
RS4 V8 4.2 FSI VL 450 hp 2009.

A4/A5 possible engine line-up:

R4 1.8 TFSI 130 + 160 hp.
R4 2.0 TFSI 200 hp.
V6 2.8 FSI VL 210 hp.
V6 3.2 FSI VL 300 hp.
V8 4.2 FSI 360 hp.

A4 R4 2.0 TDI 115 + 150 + 170 ps.
A4 V6 2.7 TDI 190 hp
A4 V6 3.0 TDI 250 hp.

Gear boxes line-up:

6 speed manual.
7 Speed DSG/S-Tronic.
Multitronic.

Hans.

Leadfoot
January 3rd, 2007, 20:14
Valvelift technology will filter in to all of Audi's models including the A5, but this will take a little time as the technology is new. A 3.2 Valvelift producing 300hp, an increase of 90hp from an extra 400cc is quite a bit, though there is not doubt the engine is more than capable.

The most interesting thing is the fact that a v8 with 350hp is being add from the off, this means the S5 and RS5 will be something special. Hans is reckoning on 450hp from the RS5 which would left enough scope for the S5 to have anything between 375hp ~ 400hp.

Some say that the A5 will accept the v10, if so then maybe the RS5 will be a 480hp v10FSi which would allow Audi to give the S5 the current RS4 engine....M3 bring it on.

Damienr8
January 3rd, 2007, 22:59
i predict, for the US market, only the new 300 hp V6 and the 350 hp V8. and that is just for the A5 variant. for the S5 i predict a tuned down version of the RS4 engine. for the RS5 i predict a V10.

and i also predict the 7 speed DSG and a regular manual as options.

i suspect it will weigh no more than the B7 A4 despite being larger.

Humm... Im not too sure about just the 300hp V6 and the 350hp V8. Seems that the hp figures are too close for comfort.

Im guessing the 3.2 FSI (255hp) because the car fits between the A4 and A6 (sizewise) and the A6 starts off with the 3.2 FSI in the US. If you are correct and the weight is similar to the A4, then the 3.2 will move the A5 quickly.

I really want to see some weight saving features on the A5/A4/ETC. platform. Even thought I would love to own an A-5/S-5 when it comes out RXBG i think im gonna be Mr. practical and run with the A4/S4. I would be cool to see the A4 drop about 150lbs (unrealistic, but i can wish).

AndyBG
January 4th, 2007, 02:50
What about S5 and, of course, RS 5 ?

chewym
January 4th, 2007, 06:51
What about S5 and, of course, RS 5 ?

This is where it gets tricky, the current FSI 3.2 and 4.2 are considered to be the engines for the regular A5 as on the A6. I propose the new Porsche Cayenne 4.8-liter FSI V8 (tuned up a bit) with around 400 hp for the S4 and a version of the Audi V10 for the RS5 with around 500 hp. But I am sure we will have to wait until Geneva to see how most of the picture plays out.

AndyBG
January 4th, 2007, 12:12
Porsche 4.8...

I didn't expect that one...

Interesting...

gabbby
January 4th, 2007, 14:27
Hi !

Nothing under 200 hp :
- 2.0 TFSI - 220 hp
- 3.2 FSI - 255 hp
- 4.2 FSI - 350 hp
- 3.0 TDI - 245 hp

Gearboxes :
- 6 manual
- 7 DSG

All in quattro !

Options :
- Megnetic Ride
- Air suspension

Presentation of both the A5 ans the S5. On all spyshots, it is the S5 !!!

That's what i think will be revealed.

Gaby

RXBG
January 4th, 2007, 14:28
Valvelift technology will filter in to all of Audi's models including the A5, but this will take a little time as the technology is new. A 3.2 Valvelift producing 300hp, an increase of 90hp from an extra 400cc is quite a bit, though there is not doubt the engine is more than capable.

The most interesting thing is the fact that a v8 with 350hp is being add from the off, this means the S5 and RS5 will be something special. Hans is reckoning on 450hp from the RS5 which would left enough scope for the S5 to have anything between 375hp ~ 400hp.

Some say that the A5 will accept the v10, if so then maybe the RS5 will be a 480hp v10FSi which would allow Audi to give the S5 the current RS4 engine....M3 bring it on.

i think the S5 engine will be a VL 4.2 V8 perhaps. that is a car that could produce 400 hp, without all of the expensive engineering of the current non VL RS4 engine.

further, i think that for the USA (this is for your consideration damien), the base A6 engine will be the 300 hp 3.2 VL engine from the 2008 MY on. they might continue to offer the current 3.2 but only for base non quattro multitronic equipped models as the value leader option.

RXBG
January 4th, 2007, 14:29
Hi !

Nothing under 200 hp :
- 2.0 TFSI - 220 hp
- 3.2 FSI - 255 hp
- 4.2 FSI - 350 hp
- 3.0 TDI - 245 hp

Gearboxes :
- 6 manual
- 7 DSG

All in quattro !

Options :
- Megnetic Ride
- Air suspension

Presentation of both the A5 ans the S5. On all spyshots, it is the S5 !!!

That's what i think will be revealed.

Gaby

not sure about both magnetic ride AND air suspension.......

Leadfoot
January 4th, 2007, 14:52
not sure about both magnetic ride AND air suspension.......

The word is the A5 will get Air suspension not Magnetic Ride suspension.

Iceman
January 4th, 2007, 16:41
The word is the A5 will get Air suspension not Magnetic Ride suspension.
Magnetic ride is exclusive for TT and R8 at the moment.
The A5 will not get it, but the RS5 maybe will IMHO.

Hans.

Leadfoot
January 4th, 2007, 17:40
I was under the impression that it will solely be for the TT and R8. I hope this is wrong as the system is amazing on the TT and well worth the money.

Damienr8
January 4th, 2007, 17:45
I was under the impression that it will solely be for the TT and R8. I hope this is wrong as the system is amazing on the TT and well worth the money.

Hope so as well. I have seen many reviews compliment on Audi's Magnetic Ride. Seems to has done wonders for the new TT.

SuperstarDriver
January 4th, 2007, 22:03
magnetic ride is the most advanced suspension in the world at this time, because is the fastest and the most precise suspension cars could have!why TopGear said that the new TT is dammmmm fast?Because of the suspension, the engines and of course the shassy!The new A5 will have magnetic ride for sure!

chewym
January 4th, 2007, 23:13
Porsche 4.8...

I didn't expect that one...

Interesting...

Well, that is just my personal desire. It would only be fair for Porsche to share. And that engine would provide the hp and the torque as the current Audi 4.2 FSI provides the hp but is low on torque and valvelift won't cure that.

SFW
January 4th, 2007, 23:29
Hi.

Do you have any information about the price range of the A5?

chewym
January 5th, 2007, 01:49
This is only an estimate (a vey rough one at that as well) but the A5 (V6) could be priced around 40,000, maybe 38,000 or so.

Leadfoot
January 5th, 2007, 17:42
Hi.

Do you have any information about the price range of the A5?

The range will start with a v6 and a v8, it will more than likely command a similar price advantage that the TT has over the A3. So if a A4 3.2 S-Line Quattro 6sp is about £28K, the A5 3.2 will be around the £32K mark, the A5 4.2 will be around the £38~£40K mark.

noushy
January 7th, 2007, 16:08
Do not mean to cross post, but A5 will be at the NAIAS. Our audiclub confirmed this with us last week. If it is there, will take pictures next thursday.

Peace,
Noushy

SuperstarDriver
January 7th, 2007, 16:21
i appreciate your audi devotament and fanatism but i have a question 4 u...why do you have an M6?don't you find bmw's unpredictable unstable and ugly?you a have an 911 and Cayenne, a Toyota a beautiful RS6 but M6?Why?super uncool is bmw for me...very unpredictable cars...and ugly unside like any other car in the world!

SuperstarDriver
January 7th, 2007, 16:33
Audi A5 will be the hottest audi design in the whole range(even with R8 and TT beautiness) cause we all know they look absolutely fantastic!but A5 will have aproximately the same look like Nuvolari concept from 2003 so who saw it at that time it will surely be impressed by A5...i mean...EXTREMELY IMPRESSED...gorgeous car...with a lot of feeling...i barely wait to see it in the february when it will be released...guys do you imagine what will happen in this year?the new A5,A4,R8,TT RS,Q7 V12 TDI and many many more...maybe not in this order...but they will amaze us soon...

deveraux
January 7th, 2007, 16:43
NAIAS has already started today...

for sure the first big audi coupe after 10years will start at an european show
america isn't the primary market for this car

Lateknight
January 7th, 2007, 19:42
i appreciate your audi devotament and fanatism but i have a question 4 u...why do you have an M6?don't you find bmw's unpredictable unstable and ugly?you a have an 911 and Cayenne, a Toyota a beautiful RS6 but M6?Why?super uncool is bmw for me...very unpredictable cars...and ugly unside like any other car in the world!

:harass: No subtlety here then
.. but then its only an opinion.

Lateknight
January 7th, 2007, 20:04
CAR magazine have a small feature on the '10 cars that matter in 2007'
They are under the opinion that the A5 range will start with 2.0 turbodiesel & 2.0 TFSI and be from £25000 (probably about 34000 euro - generally UK cars are a small amount more expensive than in mainland europe).
Nothing is mentioned about V6 engines.

Then again CAR magazine info can never be relied on.
See their new M3 blurb (someone must have spent a while with photoshop for their alledged scoop on the M3)

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/secret_new_car.php?sid=363&page=1

They dont even know how big the engine is going to be :doh: (4.0 - 4.2 litres:confused: ). Yet they boast they've got the technical details inside the mag - they have not!!:blush:

Don't buy it if your looking for a scoop on the new M3 :nono:

Leadfoot
January 7th, 2007, 22:09
The info in CAR is total BS, no v6 or v8 engines to start with. The local dealer will happily take a deposit for either of them right now, so what does that not say.

Also the talk is that the diesel and 2.0TFSi will not be at the launch because they will play down the important of this model as a real sports coupe for Audi, hell the TT which is a lot smaller and lighter car than the A5 was launched with a 3.2v6.

noushy
January 7th, 2007, 22:15
Superstar, the M6 was really a matter of what is currently available and some opinion from my wife as well. I have had a 4 door sedan for the past 10 years, mostly V8 powered vehicles (BMW 540i sport, Lexus GS430 L-tuned, Audi RS6), and now was looking for another. I wanted a new RS6 but it is not out and will probably be two years at least before I can get one here in the US. I lease one company car every two to three years, and was going to get either a CLS63 or a M5. My wife saw the M6, and suggested I get a coupe. It really is a beautiful car when you see it. In person is much different than in pics. I do not care for the rear decklid, but the rest is really nice. The engine is a gem, the SMG grows on you, and it performs so much more aggresively than the RS6. It makes a great engine sound when you downshift, it rockets to 150 in the time the RS6 might hit 120-130mph, and it turns and handles much more crisply. The RS6 will bounce and bob around a high speed on ramp with a few cracks, whereas the M6 sticks and turns crisply. I wish you lived around here, I would let you drive them back to back. I loved my RS6, just needed a new car until the new one. There is no question my next 4 door will be the new RS6 (mk II), and I even have my name on the list with a deposit. To love an RS6 or Audi does not mean you have to hate or dislike a BMW. Believe me, I am a fan of german automobiles and they each have something to offer. The cayenne is a great winter vehicle, very secure and stable in dark wintery nights (with pirelli winter scorpions on). The 911 is a blast but horrible for long drives (I drive 35 miles each way to one of my hospitals). The toyota is for my wife and three kids, until may when we will be getting a loaded Q7 (I even thought of getting her a R63). If you ever get a chance to drive an M5 or M6 do it, there is no doubt as to why the BMW V10 has one the engine manufacturers award two years in a row. It really is an amazing engine. Something like that in a R8 would be a perfect car. The gallardo V10 is nice but it does not rev as freely as the BMW engine. (I have driven a gallardo and a F360, and F430 as well).

BTW: The NAIAS starts this week, press first today, monday, tuesday, industry on wednesday and thursday (the best day to go), and black tie dinner on friday. It opens to the public on saturday. I have tickets to thursday, and friday, but will only go on thursday. Friday packs in around 18,000 people and it is very hard to really see the cars. Industry night, there is maybe 1000 people, most of the vehicles are unlocked, and I am good friends with many of the dealers.

Peace,
Noushy

chewym
January 7th, 2007, 22:16
Doesn't look like the A5 is at Detroit, it never was supposed to be there. I am dissapointed at VAG and NAIAS (Detroit) 2007 as VW has absolutely nothing, no concept, nothing and Audi only has the Q7 V12 TDI concept that we have basically seen before. But then again BMW, and MB don't have anything special either.

Edit: MB has the Ocean Drive S class converitlbe. Also the show isn't over, but it doesn't look like Audi or VW have anything else left.

noushy
January 7th, 2007, 22:17
Humm, just wait. It is only day one, and they unveil more vehicles over the next two days.

Peace,
Noushy

Leadfoot
January 7th, 2007, 22:32
I am still hoping for the TT-S to be unveiled or at the very least something special, maybe it the 3.2FSi or 3.6FSi. By the way does anyone know when the next Golf is being unveiled? It's only just over a year away.

chewym
January 8th, 2007, 05:47
I am still hoping for the TT-S to be unveiled or at the very least something special, maybe it the 3.2FSi or 3.6FSi. By the way does anyone know when the next Golf is being unveiled? It's only just over a year away.

Golf at Detroit. Doubt it. Jetta outsells Golf (Rabbit) here by a ton. Also, Golf (Rabbit) has been on sale for only about half a year here in the states, don't you think VW would keep it on the downlow for Americans? I sure do hope that VW and Audi have some surprises left as VW has had nothing and Audi just one "reworked" concept that while nice at best is a "back up" concept.

Lateknight
January 8th, 2007, 22:32
By the way does anyone know when the next Golf is being unveiled? It's only just over a year away.

Not sure if it will be shown in 2007.
A work colleague of mine took a recent tour of the Dresden factory (where Phaetons and ..ahem..Bentleys :blush: are made) and during a briefing about forthcoming Volkswagens nothing was mentioned about Mk6 Golf - although there is going to be a Golf RSI before the mk5 is finished. :eek:
Nothing more would be said about this model though.

Can anybody back this up ?

SuperstarDriver
January 9th, 2007, 10:41
thanks for the comments noushy but i allready drived the new M5 and M6 and i didn't feel so weel like i did in the NEW RS4...and the engine sounds it's just not like me...ugly sound...aspirated but on high rpm sounds like an eagle, in the RS4 i heard the sound of the engine like a airplane boost(not because i am an Audi fan) but Audi engine and especially the one from the RS4 at the same rpm like the engine from M5 and M6 sounds more like a bass a big bass in your ears then the V10 from BMW...i never liked the sound of the BMW engines cause they don't sounds down like a big tornado crushing my ears...and oh my God i hate bruning tires for keeping eyes on me...uncool!You have good cars, one of the best in the world...by the way you can buy the new Q7 V12 TDI who really likes speed and is so beautiful than any other SUV in the world...i am very impressed by the new design of it!Looks gorgeous...look at audiworld.com and see it...BMW X5 is "eated" by this car:))By the way last week i had a chance to drive the new 911 TURBO who actually killed me in the curves....so much feeling,so much stability,i can not explain to you what i felt when i drove that car...
You have way out more money then i cause i drive an Audi A4 2.0TFSI 220HP who is a fast car for me and i just bought the new S3 and i just wait to have it in my garage...but i wish the new RS6 or the new R8(or both), i don't know when i would have the money for them but i will i hope...
the new A5 will be a fast car with a lot of power under the bonnet so keep in touch before it will debut soon...

Leadfoot
January 13th, 2007, 21:20
Guys,

I was just informed that the A5 will be the first Audi to have a S-model in diesel form as well as the traditional petrol. It will be a twin-turbo version of the current 3.0TDi only this one will be alloy like the R10 race car. I have no idea as yet when it will be launched or how much it will be packing compared to the petrol, but best guess is 315hp.

Exciting times are ahead.:jlol:

Iceman
January 13th, 2007, 21:45
I think the exspectations of the new A5 are to high.
It will be a big and probably very heavy car.
And need a lot of horsepower to perform.

Hans.

Lateknight
January 13th, 2007, 22:01
Guys,

I was just informed that the A5 will be the first Audi to have a S-model in diesel form as well as the traditional petrol. It will be a twin-turbo version of the current 3.0TDi only this one will be alloy like the R10 race car. I have no idea as yet when it will be launched or how much it will be packing compared to the petrol, but best guess is 315hp.

Exciting times are ahead.:jlol:

Intriguing !! :thumb:

Are you referring to the engine (block) being alloy?

Isn't that a bit specialised for a production diesel, and a tad unnecessary (unless the weight balance in the MLB platform is still too nose heavy).

Why would Audi not base it on the current block? Sounds like a lot of investment for little gain. Now that Porshe have control of the purse strings, I thought they would want to economise a little (unless Porsche want it of course :hahahehe: )
I would imagine the production output to be closer to BMWs 3.0ltr (335d/535d) - 280-300hp. - just on the fact that I cant see production diesels going above 100hp/litre.
Hope I'm wrong - I hope that this engine smokes (no pun intended) BMWs 3.0 diesel unit.
Audi do need to catch up here. This about the only size/type engine that BMW have a better unit than Audi at the moment :( (urrgh - I feel unclean after admitting that and will now have to go shower )

Leadfoot
January 13th, 2007, 23:45
Intriguing !! :thumb:

Are you referring to the engine (block) being alloy?

Isn't that a bit specialised for a production diesel, and a tad unnecessary (unless the weight balance in the MLB platform is still too nose heavy).

Why would Audi not base it on the current block? Sounds like a lot of investment for little gain. Now that Porshe have control of the purse strings, I thought they would want to economise a little (unless Porsche want it of course :hahahehe: )
I would imagine the production output to be closer to BMWs 3.0ltr (335d/535d) - 280-300hp. - just on the fact that I cant see production diesels going above 100hp/litre.
Hope I'm wrong - I hope that this engine smokes (no pun intended) BMWs 3.0 diesel unit.
Audi do need to catch up here. This about the only size/type engine that BMW have a better unit than Audi at the moment :( (urrgh - I feel unclean after admitting that and will now have to go shower )

Not to give sticky any ideas but the MLB chassis is still a little nose heavy but there is lots of improvement that have been achieved other than just shifting the weight, so lets not dwell of it too much.

Audi, BMW and others have all been looking to lighten the diesel engine and up until the R10 was produced no one thought that an alloy diesel engine would ever make it to production never mind race and the win. Audi's achievements have open the way and with their knowledge from the R10 anything is possible. The twin-turbo engine is a sure thing, it will be in the A4/5/6/8 within two years if not sooner but if it will be alloy is unsure, all of this it speculation, rumours and whispers just in the same way as the RS6 will be N/A or turboed, only I am said is it is a possibility that is being looked at and only time will tell if this does become a reality.

I reckon it will produce 315hp only because it's the S-model and the engine is to be released in the standard A4 with a power around the figure that the Beemer produces. Check any tuner site and you will see that the 535d and 335d can be tuned with only a chip to produce around the figure I have suggested.

SuperstarDriver
January 14th, 2007, 09:17
audi is the leader in the premium range of Diesel engines and petrol engines...so...bmw sucks...V10 from M5 really sounds nasty...yacc....i prefer an ventilator than the sound of the V10 from M5 and M6:)))RS4...that's an egine...
and we all know what will do the new V12TDI from Q7...it will kick BMW 4.8.i ass...

noushy
January 14th, 2007, 16:08
Well I am sure you all know that Audi decided not to show the A5. They did show the R8, the Q7 V12 TDI, and a Q7 with a smaller diesel engine. There also was a Q7 modified by MTM on display outside the show, but I missed taking pictures of it. Anyone want any of the other models shown let me know.

Peace,
Noushy