PDA

View Full Version : Champion RS6 Website

Finnus
April 23rd, 2003, 12:15
There's a new website for the Champion RS6:

http://www.championracing.net/Audi_RS6/home/audi_rs_6_main.htm

It has a lot of good information, specs on the car,race schedules and some great picutres.

:cheers:

:addict:

Benman
April 26th, 2003, 17:24
Finnus, have you been watching the races? the next one doesn't
come till middle of may. i'm hoping they can work out the issues
on Galati's car. i'm curious why they are running less than 500hp
on their cars considering they're capable of so much more. i'm
pretty sure it is not a rule isssue as the corvettes and vipers
(not to mention the saleens) run considerably higher numbers.
does anyone know if it is just champion staying on the safe side?
:cheers:

ben:addict:

Finnus
April 26th, 2003, 17:46
Ben,

I wondered about the 475 HP too.

They're racing at LimeRock which is about 1 1/2 hours from me Memorial day weekend. I plan on going to see the beast!

My build dates are May 12-18 & I'm sure I'll be off the wall with anticipation, especially after seeing them race!

Finnus

Benman
April 26th, 2003, 17:53
glad to hear your going to see champion in person. i think
jconley is the only one on the forum so far to go. i have to wait
until the end of july before they're in california (sears point). it's
about an 8 hour drive from where i'm at so i don't know if i'll go to
that race or the one in september at laguna seca (also @ 8 hours
from where i'm at). if i go to laguna instead than i should have my
RS6 by then and should have an even better time!:cheers:

ben:addict:

jimmy94507
April 26th, 2003, 18:00
Finnus,
If you get a chance to talk to the crew see if they will tell you what brake pads they are using. There have been pictures showing their RS6's with Brembo brakes, but I have also read they went back to using the RS6 calipers at Sebring to avoid some form of weight penalty for using aftermarket brakes?? It would be nice to know what they have done to get the best performance from the stock brake system.

Can anyone from UK/Europe comment on their experience with RS 6 brake pad wear? Are the pads expensive to replace?

Thanks, Jim

JP4
April 26th, 2003, 19:06
The pictures I saw had the OEM calipers on the front and the big Brembo's on the rear. As you mentioned...pad info would be especially interesting.

It would also be interesting to know what size wheel (diameter and width, spacers vs no spacers, ET) and tire they're running with the Toyo RA1's.

Nordschleife
April 27th, 2003, 16:59
Guys
You will find that the rear brakes on the Champion RS6s were an unsatisfactory modification, when used with the production front brakes.
Champion were experiencing grave difficulties with the car's brakes, in their original configuration, expect something different, next time out.
Anybody running the stock RS6 front callipers will soon discover just how expensive the pads are! And you will keep on changing them along with your underpants (LOL).
The standard RS6 rear brakes do not do a great deal of work. This is inherent in the design of the calliper which incorporates the handbrake, requiring abnormally hard pads. Typically, hard pads do not perform as well as softer pads.

HTH
R+C

Erik
April 28th, 2003, 09:38
The black RS6 saloon (used by the press) we drove has changed brakes 4 times in 40000 km.

Exactly what 'change brakes' meant I do not know. Of course it was driven hard but still.

Richard
April 29th, 2003, 03:21
I asked some of the Florida guys about the RS6 seeming slow compared to the other cars in the Sebring WC race. I was told that the RS6's have a boost restiction. They also must carry added weight because of the AWD.

As you may recall, the S4's were limited to 15 or 16 Pounds.

It was disheartening seeing the Vettes run away from the RS6's at Sebring.:eye: