PDA

View Full Version : FIS when starting car ...

Mori
December 31st, 2006, 18:48
Hey guys,

Whenever I open the car, insert the key, etc. and start it, the display in the middle of the dash between the rev counter and speedo (FIS) shows the compass. I would like it to display the first computer stuff with my remaining range - is this possible to change the default?

Also for iPod users - when I start up the car it always defaults to CD6 Mix with the song that was playing when the car was switched off - but I would like it to remember the CD in addition to the song I was on when I switched it off - any chance?

PetrolDave
January 1st, 2007, 17:43
You need to go into the NAV | SETUP page on your Sat Nav, scroll down and remove the tick beside the Compass option.

Mori
January 1st, 2007, 23:06
You need to go into the NAV | SETUP page on your Sat Nav, scroll down and remove the tick beside the Compass option.

Haven't used SAT NAV yet - isn't that to remove the compass from the MMI screen?

PetrolDave
January 2nd, 2007, 09:06
Haven't used SAT NAV yet - isn't that to remove the compass from the MMI screen?
Nope - the compass is displayed on the DIS not the RNS-E screen.

BTW it's NOT an MMI - Audi confuse everyone by making the startup screen say MMI but it isn't MMI. It uses different DVDs , has different displays, and can't display anything to do with the car setup like the "real" MMI can on an A6, A8 or Q7.

Mori
January 2nd, 2007, 10:30
I meant the big LCD screen in the middle of the dashboard where all the radio controls are etc. my saying MMI.

In the options list it was named MMI btw. :) The control system is basically the same as on the A6 and higher, except that the car has less electronics so it can't be controlled from there IMO. ;)

PetrolDave
January 2nd, 2007, 13:32
The control system is basically the same as on the A6 and higher
That's where you're SO wrong.

The "real" MMI in the A6, A8 & Q7 is made from several different electronics boxes distributed throughout the car and all connected by a fibre optic MOST system.

The RNS-E in the A3, A4, TT & R8 is an "all-in-one" box that sits in the dash. It has 2 slots for SD cards - which are not even an option on the MMI system.

The ONLY thing the MMI and RNS-E share is that they have a user interface that has one big control knob and 4 soft keys. NOTHING is interchangeable between an MMI system and an RNS-E system - no physical parts, no software, no map discs, nothing.

There is a great deal of confusion about what is MMI and what isn't - all caused by the stupidity of the Marketing team at Audi who use the phrase MMI in conjunction with the RNS-E (it even says MMI on startup!) despite them technically being completely different.

Anyway - back to your orginal question. To disable the compass on your FIS you DO have to do exactly as I said on the sat nav since it's the sat nav that is sending the compass information to the FIS via the Infotainment CAN bus.

Mori
January 3rd, 2007, 17:47
That's where you're SO wrong.

From the audi.de configurator:
Navigationssystem plus
mit MMI-Bedienlogik, inklusive Navigations-DVD;
6,5-Zoll-TFT-Farbbildschirm mit 3-D-Kartendarstellung, dynamische Zielführung, Radioanlage mit Doppel-Tuner, DVD-Laufwerk für Navigations-DVD, Audio- oder MP3-CDs (nicht bei gleichzeitiger Navigationssystem-Nutzung), zwei integrierte MMC-/SD-Card-Slots für MP3, Alternativrouten-Berechnung

Audi calls this SAT NAV with MMI as far as I can see.

The "real" MMI in the A6, A8 & Q7 is made from several different electronics boxes distributed throughout the car and all connected by a fibre optic MOST system.

The RNS-E in the A3, A4, TT & R8 is an "all-in-one" box that sits in the dash. It has 2 slots for SD cards - which are not even an option on the MMI system.

I don't really care how its built - the control-system is the same which is important. Much like the BMW I-Drive probably differs from the 3-series vs. the 7-series, yet control-wise its the same.

The ONLY thing the MMI and RNS-E share is that they have a user interface that has one big control knob and 4 soft keys. NOTHING is interchangeable between an MMI system and an RNS-E system - no physical parts, no software, no map discs, nothing.

Maps are the same AFAIK - the map I have for the RS4 is for all Audi DVD navigation systems.

Anyway - back to your orginal question. To disable the compass on your FIS you DO have to do exactly as I said on the sat nav since it's the sat nav that is sending the compass information to the FIS via the Infotainment CAN bus.

Works like a charm - thanks for this!

PetrolDave
January 4th, 2007, 09:54
Maps are the same AFAIK - the map I have for the RS4 is for all Audi DVD navigation systems.
Sorry wrong again!

The RNS-E in the A3/A4 need a different map DVD to the MMI in the A6/A8/Q7.

RNS-E map DVD part number: 8P0 060 884 M

MMI map DVD part number: 4E0 919 884 AF

And it's not just a case of a different part number for the same item. The MMI map DVD will NOT work in and RNS-E and vice versa.

P.S. I've been working with the RNS-E and MMI for nearly 2 years now and am a Moderator on http:www.navplus.us - I DO know what I'm talking about!!!

MR USER
January 4th, 2007, 14:39
P.S. I've been working with the RNS-E and MMI for nearly 2 years now and am a Moderator on http:www.navplus.us - I DO know what I'm talking about!!![/QUOTE]

Dave, I have read some posts on the navplus site and I find it a very good website. Unfortunately I had to read a lot of posts to understand wht the differences are between the ssystems and what does what. THe site is far too technical for my understanding of the electronics but still an excellent resource of infos!!!

I have one question for you... I have the Ipod connection installed on my RNS-E unit and I have a cd as well (neitehr the dealer or I know that you cannot have them working at the same time when I made my order). I have been told that there is a new interface for the RNS-E that would allow the users to have both working and to display the song information and playlist information on the main screen. Is that true? is yes do you know how to install it and where to buy one?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Mori
January 4th, 2007, 15:18
Sorry wrong again!

The RNS-E in the A3/A4 need a different map DVD to the MMI in the A6/A8/Q7.

RNS-E map DVD part number: 8P0 060 884 M

MMI map DVD part number: 4E0 919 884 AF

And it's not just a case of a different part number for the same item. The MMI map DVD will NOT work in and RNS-E and vice versa.

P.S. I've been working with the RNS-E and MMI for nearly 2 years now and am a Moderator on http:www.navplus.us - I DO know what I'm talking about!!!

I see that you are the man to talk to instead of my ignorant dealer lol. :) Thanks for clearing that up.

Since I have the iPod connection in my RS4, the first 5 playlists on the iPod are accessed via CD1 through CD5 on the MMI-RNS-E-thingy screen in the CD/TV section under CD Changer. The songs are displayed as tracks 1 through 99. CD6 plays ALL the songs on the iPod.

Question: Is there any way to get the song titles to display on the screen?

Question: When I switch of the engine and close the car (eg. was listening to Playlist 1 (CD1) before closing the car) and then come back the same song is still playing when I put the key into the ignition, but its changed to CD6. I still don't know if it just says CD6 but in reality plays CD1 for example or not. Is there a way to get it to come back up with the same playlist?

PetrolDave
January 4th, 2007, 17:17
I have one question for you... I have the Ipod connection installed on my RNS-E unit and I have a cd as well (neither the dealer or I know that you cannot have them working at the same time when I made my order). I have been told that there is a new interface for the RNS-E that would allow the users to have both working and to display the song information and playlist information on the main screen. Is that true? is yes do you know how to install it and where to buy one?

Thanks a lot in advance!
The only way at the moment to have both an iPod interface and a CD changer is to throw the Audi iPod interface away (or sell it on eBay) and fit the Dension Gateway 400, see here (http://www.dension.com/icelinkgateway400.php). This also gives you a USB socket. But it has a MANUAL switch to choose between iPod and CD changer, but that's as good as it gets at the moment.

The new interface you are talking about is a rumoured RNS-E version of the AMI interface (which is only for MMI systems). There's no solid news on when this will be available at the moment, just a vague "later in 2007".

PetrolDave
January 4th, 2007, 17:21
Question: Is there any way to get the song titles to display on the screen?
Not with any iPod interface available at the moment. The problem is that they all use the Audi CD changer interface, and that doesn't support CD text.

Question: When I switch of the engine and close the car (eg. was listening to Playlist 1 (CD1) before closing the car) and then come back the same song is still playing when I put the key into the ignition, but its changed to CD6. I still don't know if it just says CD6 but in reality plays CD1 for example or not. Is there a way to get it to come back up with the same playlist?
Not heard about that "feature" before. If you leave it playing does it actually continue with playlist CD1 or playlist CD6 (i.e. all tunes on your iPod)?

Mori
January 4th, 2007, 23:57
Not heard about that "feature" before. If you leave it playing does it actually continue with playlist CD1 or playlist CD6 (i.e. all tunes on your iPod)?

Will test it tomorrow hopefully...

BigRick
January 5th, 2007, 13:22
Hi guys,

All that is really interresting... but what about the real thing :) is there a way to have the Sport mode at startup?

It's a shame that I have to push the button everytime not to mention that the engine startup sound would probably be much better!!!

Any ideas?

Thanks

PetrolDave
January 5th, 2007, 14:23
is there a way to have the Sport mode at startup?
IIRC there was a post on AudiWorld about putting a capacitor across the Sport button that made it appear that you were pressing it when you started up - hence going automatically into Sport mode.:incar:

I just press the Sport button on my steering wheel before I reach down and press the Start button.:thumb:

OzRS4
January 6th, 2007, 00:42
The only way at the moment to have both an iPod interface and a CD changer is to throw the Audi iPod interface away (or sell it on eBay) and fit the Dension Gateway 400, see here (http://www.dension.com/icelinkgateway400.php). This also gives you a USB socket. But it has a MANUAL switch to choose between iPod and CD changer, but that's as good as it gets at the moment.

The new interface you are talking about is a rumoured RNS-E version of the AMI interface (which is only for MMI systems). There's no solid news on when this will be available at the moment, just a vague "later in 2007".

What about the Denison Gateway 500? Do you have any information or experience with this on a RS4? Is it a "plug n play" thing to swap the audi ipod interface with these Denison gateway? Thanks. You're a wealth of info on this forum, thanks again.

Mori
January 6th, 2007, 01:48

OK tested it twice. It shows CD6 but actually plays the playlist (or CD if you prefer) that was selected before closing the car.

PetrolDave
January 7th, 2007, 17:10
What about the Denison Gateway 500? Do you have any information or experience with this on a RS4? Is it a "plug n play" thing to swap the audi ipod interface with these Denison gateway? Thanks. You're a wealth of info on this forum, thanks again.
Dension Gateway 500 is ONLY for MMI systems (i.e. those using the MOST fibre optic connections), which is only fitted to the A6, A8 & Q7.

Fitting the 300 and 400 in place of the Audi iPod interface should be a simple swap.

PetrolDave
January 7th, 2007, 17:12
OK tested it twice. It shows CD6 but actually plays the playlist (or CD if you prefer) that was selected before closing the car.
Sounds like a software bug to me. Hopefully Audi or Dension will come up with an update to fix it.