PDA

View Full Version : RS6 Problems

msteckli
December 30th, 2006, 19:10
I have owned my RS6 for two months now and have had two problems that left me stranded. The first was a turbo boost hose clamp that failed. I went into the grocery store and when I returned the car wouldn't move. It was replaced under warranty (I bought a CPO). Two weeks later the transmission failed. The gears started grinding on Christmas day as I was taking one of my guest for a ride in my new car (somewhat embarrasing I might add). They are currently replacing (again under warranty). Given that the car is only three years old and has 40,000 miles, should I be concerned that I haveI received a lemon? I mean this car was supposedly certified?

Should I approach the dealer about returning the car? My wife is an attorney and can be quite persuasive, but I do like the car and don't want the additional stress. Unfortunately, my wife refuses to drive it for fear of being stranded with our three kids in tow. By the way, I used the audi road side assistance program and they wanted to send a tow truck from over two hours away (I live in Los Angeles and find it hard to believe they couldn't find something closer). I ended up making my own arrangements to get the car to the dealer both times.

Before this car, I had a 1993 Toyota Camry that had 200,000 miles and not one problem. I bought this car as a "treat" after having gone through surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy over the last six months. But, it has become just another headache.

Please advise.

Mark

bbigman2000
December 30th, 2006, 20:02
Mark,
Sorry to hear of that, what bad luck you have had.
Transmissions have failed but normally on cars that have had
major tuning.

Without knowing what kind of life your car has had before you
bought it, it is hard to advise.

I can honestly say that the RS6 is an ultra reliable car in my experiance.
Id like to think that once your tranny has been replaced, that you wouldnt
have any further trouble.

Im also wondering what a boost hose failed, or even the clip, do you
think your car may have had some tuning (remapping) ??

SoCal
December 31st, 2006, 00:00
Mark,

Sorry to hear about your problems. I agree with the prior post. If the car you bought had been modified and the dealer failed to disclose that, you may have grounds to get them to take it back. I'm also surprised that AoA wanted to send assistance from so far away, given where you live. Might want to ask them about that. It sounds like your dealer is taking good care of you, though, as far as honoring the CPO warranty claims.

The RS6 is, on the whole, a very reliable car *for a high performance German sedan*. The problems that have arisen with some of the RS6s on this site usually relate to the DRC suspension (leaky shocks) and, for a few, sudden power loss. Losing a transmission is rare, unless the car has been abused or modified. Now that yours is replaced, shouldn't be a problem. Keep a good eye on the transmission fluid and seals at regular service intervals going forward, though.

On the whole, given the performance extremes for which these car is designed, they are pretty bullet proof if taken care of and maintained properly and regularly.

No Audi (or BMW or Mercedes) will have the level of consistent reliablity of your old Camry. But when they work, which is most of the time, these top end cars will give you the kind of performance, comfort and road-feel that is the antithesis of what Toyota aims to provide.

Enjoy it in health and happy new year.

JAXRS6
December 31st, 2006, 03:11
If your car was "chipped" before you owned it, i.e. had a computer chip or altered programming to increase engine performance, that would put more torque strain on the tranny when the enhanced programming is engaged. It might explain the tranny failure & possibly the failed clamp. You might ask the dealer about those possibilities. In any case, if the car is stock now, those items should not fail again.

I had numerous problems & issues for my first 15K mi, then nothing again until DRC failed around 30K mi. Then trouble-free to 50K, at which point I needed a torque converter and a second DRC repair. All covered under warranty. Now that factory warranty is gone, most things are covered to 100K mi through the extended warranty I purchased from my Audi dealer. Even so we all face a service bill of around $3K at 75K mi, when the maintenance schedule calls for a new timing belt. That's done at 35K mi, too, but Audi picked up that bill. The next one is up to the owner, even with CPO or extended warranty (which cover things that break but not regular service).

RS6 reliability should not be compared to a Camry. It should be compared to other high performance cars, e.g. Benz E55 AMG, BMW M5, Chrysler 300 SRT8, maybe Corvette & others. I guarantee you, none of them will stand up to the Camry for reliability -- and for good reason: Being much more powerful, they also are much more complex, with more things to break -- and more strain on them, further enhancing chances of failure. Among them, only Audi dares add AWD.

Given all that, I've personally concluded that the RS6's performance, panache, practicality and exclusivity justify its considerable ongoing expense. It may be three years old, approaching four, but as far as I know it remains the only four door sedan on the planet that combines 450 hp and AWD -- except for some newer Audis that are much pricier.

Happy New Year to all!

Aronis
January 1st, 2007, 01:30
Mark,

I am sorry to hear about your health issues. I hope all is well with you.

As far as AOA and SERVICE....forgetaboutit....the Two hour away tow truck.....that's par for AOA's course. I was inquiring about having my car taken to a dealer 1 hour further than the one they insisted on when I was still in the DRC hell.....

The only problem I had with my car was the DRC failure (and now that AOA has taught the service guys how to repair it, this should not be a big problem for anyone else.)

I had an M3 for 5 years, 60,000 miles, and the only problems were 1. loose wire on starter and two the rear shock mount on one side broke loose (I replace the $12.00 parts myself).

I too have had several Honda's. 1981 Accord (I put 125,000 on it)- gas tank rotted out, Honda replaced, suspension rotted out, Honda replaced ( but the guy doing it left the transmission 1/2 full- tranny died....Honda refused to replace that), water pump went at 75000 miles took the A/C with it....and Alternator...I fixed all that in the middle of the winter in the street...cold..) 1988 CRX(70000 miles) - clutch at 60,000 miles, otherwise no problems (Jackson Racing Header, exhaust, cam...just after the new Clutch - fun fun fun).
My prior 325is (1994, put 45000 on that) had two things....due to short trips to work my Chief year (1/2 mile) the muffler rotted out...gets wet from car exhaust but not hot enough to dry properly - LOL) and the reset button broke as I put the Lockout Code in - imoblized the car LOL)

No car is perfect, but the Service attitude after the sale says volumes for the basic tone of the company. From my experience dealing with AOA -multiple phone calls to regional repair rep and AOA VP -I forget his name at the moment- it is clear to me they don't give a rats ass about repeat sales.

I have 50,000 miles on my RS6 - DRC repaired at about 38,000, finally fixed at about 44,000 miles wasted a bit of my warrantee miles going back and forth - new brake pads fronts at 28,000, new front rotors at 48,000. All the routine services done well - accept for dealer screw up on the new Onstar unit, which failed again the next day Red Light but works.

Enjoy your RS6....I understand your reasons for getting it....I got my M3 just after a good friend died suddenly.....life is short...enjoy...

Mike

JAXRS6
January 1st, 2007, 01:54
Dr. Aronis seems to have had an especially bad experience with AOA. Mine was much better. Some things took a while early on -- I was piling on miles & was among the first to experience several issues, including DRC -- but in the end they extended my warranty for a year and 12K miles as a courtesy, so I have no complants. For now at least!:thumb:

As I've suggested before, I think AOA's responsiveness may depend somewhat on who is in charge in different regions of the US.

Hy Octane
January 1st, 2007, 19:47
heres a list of things I have had fixed on my RS6..
I tolerate it because I love this car.. eventually, we will get it right..

Things fixed or replaced on my RS6 in the first
2 and 1/2 years

1 Both MAF sensors
2 ECU
3 Both Exhaust gas temp sensors
4 Anti knock sensors
5 Emission fuel purge valve
6 Right front output drive shaft seal
7 Hydraulic hood support
8 2 instrument clusters
9 HVAC temp sensor
10 thermostat
11 Cruise Control Stalk
12 Both front control arms
13 DRC system. 4 shocks and 4 accumulators..(tried twice.)
14 driver and passenger inside door panels
15 Coolant “T” hose for ac/heater sprung leak..
16. Sunroof switch
17 Bad Brake relay….

Aronis
January 2nd, 2007, 01:14
Dr. Aronis seems to have had an especially bad experience with AOA. Mine was much better. Some things took a while early on -- I was piling on miles & was among the first to experience several issues, including DRC -- but in the end they extended my warranty for a year and 12K miles as a courtesy, US.

I asked for that Courtesy....they just gave me credit for two months lease payments which amounts to the same thing...so I used that money to buy an extended warrantee....I wonder if yours was "Factory" which of course is muc better.....

But the money back on the lease took some 'begging' if you will....

Mike:rotflmao:

Aronis
January 2nd, 2007, 01:15
Dam,

you're hard on your cars....

LOL

I forgot about my Hood Latch replacement.

LOL

and the oil had to be replaced every 10,000 miles too....LOL...

Mike

:jlol:
heres a list of things I have had fixed on my RS6..
I tolerate it because I love this car.. eventually, we will get it right..

Things fixed or replaced on my RS6 in the first
2 and 1/2 years

1 Both MAF sensors
2 ECU
3 Both Exhaust gas temp sensors
4 Anti knock sensors
5 Emission fuel purge valve
6 Right front output drive shaft seal
7 Hydraulic hood support
8 2 instrument clusters
9 HVAC temp sensor
10 thermostat
11 Cruise Control Stalk
12 Both front control arms
13 DRC system. 4 shocks and 4 accumulators..(tried twice.)
14 driver and passenger inside door panels
15 Coolant “T” hose for ac/heater sprung leak..
16. Sunroof switch
17 Bad Brake relay….