PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Viper SRT-10

AndyBG
December 28th, 2006, 21:21
510 ps...

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/news/auto_-_produkte/hxcms_article_500504_14194.hbs

LamboM
December 28th, 2006, 21:53
I was nerver a fan of the viper I mean it looks goood it alway looked good
But those huge engines and the lack of horse power is stupid
I mean if I'm not mistaking the SRT-10 has 8 liter V10 Which is huge ,enormous
But only 500 HP BMW got the 507 from a 5 liter V10 and Lamborghini got 520
form a 5 liter V10 So you see my point?
And the handling is... Well an american handling
Just the thing that 500 HP needs

JavierNuvolari
December 28th, 2006, 22:37
The Viper in one fast car, on a straight line of course. And the point you have LamboM is very good....European car makers know how to squeeze more hp from less liters(I believe that the V10 is from a truck or something and it was reaconditioned), as for handrling there's a TG episode in wich Jeremy puts the Vipèr against a Z4M...and...well...you can figure it out yourselfs.

Cheers all,

Javier

chewym
December 28th, 2006, 22:45
600 horsepower from the variable valve timing 8.4 liter V10 is quite lame but much better than 510 from the 8.3 liter V10.

3abdo
December 28th, 2006, 23:44
the viper has a lot of torque, see if the road is not grippy, u just spin the wheels and stay at your place, but still its a brutally fun car.

Klint
December 29th, 2006, 12:45
the viper has a lot of torque, see if the road is not grippy, u just spin the wheels and stay at your place, but still its a brutally fun car.
Very true, this car is about torque, you put it into 5th/6th and you can drive round pretty much everywhere.

Lateknight
December 29th, 2006, 19:17
Horsepower is torque X revs. *
You cant expect an old truck engine (development of) to rev hard, thats why it appears to be short of ponies.
Unless your prepared to spend all day with the tacho needle hovering near the red,:revs: torque is the true measure of real world performance.

* The formula is (apparently);
horsepower = torque x revs divided by 5252

Leadfoot
December 29th, 2006, 20:30
Lots of torque and rear wheel drive don't make good bed fellows, one thing that BMW has at least got it's head around, the M5 may have 507 ponies but it's torque though not up there was the Viper's it is still a hell of a lot. It's advantage is where all this torque is produced, high up the rev range allowing for more adjust-ability compared to the Viper.

The Z06 may have about the same amount of torque as the Viper but like the M5, it's produced up high and it's results speak for themselves. If only the Viper had Quattro to control it's torque it might have been an amazing bit of kit and the equal of any European.....:vhmmm: oh hold on a minute, that would mean it would have to have a double wishbone rear suspension:doh: alas to confusing for the Americans.

Why when they can put a man on the moon can they not make their cars with double wishbone suspension. One of the world's great mysteries.

gnomik007
December 29th, 2006, 22:16
Why when they can put a man on the moon can they not make their cars with double wishbone suspension. One of the world's great mysteries.

:hihi: HA HA

Cale24
December 30th, 2006, 02:46
I'll say. That has had me stumped for...my whole life. The Viper motor is a bloody joke IMO. American car enthusiasts can make whatever excuses they want for it...

dibbe
January 2nd, 2007, 22:36
Don´t forget LamboM, Lamborghini helped construct the engine :)

3abdo
January 8th, 2007, 00:15
the viper is a new muscle car, muscle car= a lot of cubic inches, lot of torque, very good for drag racing, and slow revving engines. So by muscle car standards, the viper is prety good