PDA

View Full Version : Less cars available in the USA!!!

jfrocke
April 23rd, 2003, 01:16
According to one of the Audi reps I spoke to at the NY Auto Show today, the number of US cars is DROPPING!!!

He said that the "order window" will be stopping at the end of this month and that no more orders will be accepted after this.

According to him, the number of cars coming to the USA will be around 600.

Benman
April 23rd, 2003, 01:46
really?:confused: what dealer did he work for. or does he work
directly for audi n.a. every audi guy i've spoke with keeps saying
the number is going up. first it was 860, then 990, then 1100.

i'd really like to know which is which:cheers:

ben:addict:

JP4
April 23rd, 2003, 05:21
As a matter of fact I heard the number was up to 1200 units for the USA. That was yesterday from a person at my dealer that went to the introduction in Arizona. FWIW!

Speedracer
April 23rd, 2003, 14:49
My dealer told me the same thing, but I thought it was 1220.

Erik
April 23rd, 2003, 14:55
Less cars = more exclusive = better resale :D

Speedracer
April 23rd, 2003, 15:40
Erik—
As you may or may not know, as opposed to BMW and Mercedes, Audis have lousy resale value in the US, thanks to "unintended acceleration." Since I can't really afford the RS6 I am buying, I have been getting concerned about the ever-increasing allocation to the US and the result that this will have on resale value. I figured that I could have a fling with it and then sell it at a small or no loss.

jconley
April 23rd, 2003, 15:48
Speedracer-

If you are depending on being able to sell the car quickly after driving it for a short time at little or no lose, be careful

It seems that there may be RS6s sitting @ US dealers later this year, based on the fact that not all are sold yet.

J

Speedracer
April 23rd, 2003, 18:30
I wasn't "counting" on it. I just felt it would be a nice option.

GoFastKindaGuy
April 25th, 2003, 01:52
Buy it 'cause you love it.
Drive it 'cause you love it.
Buy it new because you want to care for it right, keep it a while and can afford the financial hit.

Sell it only if you love another more, or because you must.

Cars are depreciating assets. Audi, at least in the USA, depreciates faster than BMW, Porsche and Mercedes -- but they all go down because thesse manufacturers build to demand.

A Ferrari will hold or go up for a while, depreciating only when a replacement model hits the market, because they strategically underbuild the demand!

:incar:

Finnus
April 25th, 2003, 02:38
Well said!

:cheers:
:addict:

jconley
April 25th, 2003, 13:17
Nice stable of cars, GoFastKindaGuy

Very Nice

J

Finnus
April 25th, 2003, 13:29
Audi, at least in the USA, depreciates faster than BMW, Porsche and Mercedes -- but they all go down because thesse manufacturers build to demand.

A Ferrari will hold or go up for a while, depreciating only when a replacement model hits the market, because they strategically underbuild the demand!

Go Fast,

Don't you think with 1,200 cars in a Nation of 150,000,000 (or whatever the number is) drivers, Audi is underbuilding demand in the US? And no new RS6 model will be coming out to replace the 2003. Supposedly, there will be additional RS models for the states, but when? Not 2004 - We've been waiting since mid-2002 for the RS6, yet we haven't heard anything as definitive as we had last year about the RS6 for any new RS models.

It seems to me that the resale should be pretty good for a year or two, especially once all RS6s have been cleared off of US showrooms. :)

Finnus :addict:

PS I'm buying it 'cause I love it ... :cheers:

Benman
April 25th, 2003, 15:13
Originally posted by Finnus
Go Fast,

Finnus :addict:

PS I'm buying it 'cause I love it ... :cheers:

as am i. in fact, i don't forsee any reason that would make me
want to sell it at all (unless i get into a REALLY bad wreck:( ).

:cheers:

GoFastKindaGuy
April 26th, 2003, 22:59
Finnus,
I hope you're right on demand keeping the price up. However, I have had only one car in 40 years of motoring go up in value.

I have some friends who have made money keeping Ferraris for a short while, then selling -- and lost money keeping some a little too long. I have lost a ton of market value on the Lamborghini. Timing is everything. My point was simply don't view any of them as investments unless you're looking for a tax loss. (And then you better have had a history of collecting, keeping the miles off and spinning some at a profit -- and have paid capital gains tax.)

Love 'em. It is easier. Obviously, I have my harem.

All comparison stops when the snow drops! :addict:

Finnus
April 26th, 2003, 23:37
GoFast,

I agree. I think it would be a mistake to look at the RS6 as an investment. I'm buying it for love, not money! LOL

My point was merely that its reasonable to expect the car to hold it's value better and not depreciate as quickly as a typical Audi.

The old rule of supply and demand - the supply is very limited, who knows where demand will go.

Finnus :cheers:

:addict:

BBGT2
May 2nd, 2003, 05:34
I could care less how many they are building for the US, as long as one of those is MINE:cheers:

Bajo:addict:

Benman
May 2nd, 2003, 15:24
and save one for me:cheers: