PDA

View Full Version : Oh yes, it's arrived...

James H
December 28th, 2006, 00:49
Chaps,

Just a wee post to say that I picked up my new S3 on the 21st, just in time for the cr*p weather to arrive in Aberdeen and off 2 weeks of night shift.....That being the case, only got 100 miles on it so far but I am REALLY pleased with my new toy.

Although I'm sure certain individual aspects of the car could possibly be better, I have to say that the overall package fits together really well and the performance exceeds my expectations.

No pictures yet as it needs a good wash already!

Cheers

James

bbigman2000
December 28th, 2006, 02:08
Great News James, enjoy it.
If you need the car detailed, there is a good firm down your way

www.polishedbliss.co.uk

They did my RS6 a treat.

I look forward to your pics.

RacerBice
December 28th, 2006, 10:48
Congrats, James, nice to hear to you're able to enjoy it already. Really looking forward to some pictures of the blue (wasn't it....?) masterpiece. By the way, cr*p weather is one of this car's strengths, isn't it....? :stick:

RB

James H
December 28th, 2006, 23:55
bbigman, Cheers for the info about the detailer, I'll maybe see what they can do with my wifes A4, the kids have made a bit of a mess of the back ;-)

RB, Yup, I went for the sprint blue in the end. I think it's a pretty good colour for the car. Works well with the all black interior.

You're right about the handling in bad weather though, One of my friends stays on a farm out in the wilds and I went up the access road in the S3 yesterday without so much as a wobble. Did the same route in a hired van today and nearly wrote the damn thing off......Note to self, remember not all cars one drives will handle like this.

My first experience of quattro and I don't think I'll be going back to 2WD anytime soon.

I'll probably not get any photos up until after the weekend as heading south tomorrow.

All the best for the new year folks.

Leadfoot
December 29th, 2006, 13:09
My first experience of quattro and I don't think I'll be going back to 2WD anytime soon.

James,

I have had the pleasure to have experienced both forms of Quattro in my S4v8 and a previous TT225 Coupe I use to own. I personally prefer the Haldex system of the TT and your S3 over the original Quattro in the S4, I know there is lots of reasons why this shouldn't be the case, but I know what I feel.

I might be down to the fact that in the TT/S3 you feel the power shifting more than you do in the S4 especially in slow corners.

I'm over the moon that you love the car, there is nothing like a new car and when you move up to something that goes like sh#t, there's no feeling like it, especially when you can use all from the power even under these slippery conditions.

There's a saying here I would like to use for you, "keep it between the hedges" and the best of luck.

James H
January 8th, 2007, 00:48
Leadie,

Absolutely right. As my dad would say, power is nothing without the control to use it.

Piccies in next post

James

James H
January 8th, 2007, 01:01
Guys,

Attached are a few pics of the S3. Best Christmas present I've had for years.

I'm not terribly IT literate but hope they are small enough files not to mess anyone about.

Cheers

James :s3addict:

AndyBG
January 8th, 2007, 01:06
Hey !

Great car ! :thumb:

It looks FANTASTIC !

Congrat's, ENJOY IT ! :revs:

James H
January 8th, 2007, 01:18
Thanks chap! I'm hoping to get a run out tomorrow before disappearing back to the middle of the north sea for a couple of weeks.

I may have to hide the keys though as my wife has started to 'borrow' it in preferrence to her A4..... ;-)

Hopefully my mini isn't going to feel too left out.

James

James

AndyBG
January 8th, 2007, 09:34
All best... :cheers:

RacerBice
January 8th, 2007, 10:08
James, it looks awesome, thanks for the pictures! Almost makes me regret that I ordered it in silver..... :vhmmm:

RB

Ruergard
January 8th, 2007, 11:53
Congratulations!

Looks awesome! Enjoy it! :thumb:

James H
January 8th, 2007, 20:57
Hey RB,

Thanks Chap. Sure it'll look cool in silver too. Lighter colour seems to suit the car. Unusual for me as all of my previous motors were black or dark blue with the exception of a white mini which I almost instantly regretted..

The demonstrators at my local dealer are in black and yellow. Haven't seen the yellow one yet but black does not do the styling any favours in my humble opinion. Would need cleaning constantly living here also due to outrageous amounts of mud and cack on the roads.

IF you are interested, I'm getting about 12-15 miles to the gallon around town, made it to 29 with a reasonable run down the 'A' roads to Carlisle and back. Hopefully will improve a little once the engine loosens up a bit.

James

RacerBice
January 9th, 2007, 08:01
Hey RB,

IF you are interested, I'm getting about 12-15 miles to the gallon around town, made it to 29 with a reasonable run down the 'A' roads to Carlisle and back. Hopefully will improve a little once the engine loosens up a bit.

James

Wow, that's really....ehrmmm....a lot! But I too think consumption will eventually come down a bit. I am suspecting, though, that your right foot may still be slightly heavy....? :stick:

Leadfoot
January 9th, 2007, 08:43
Wow, that's really....ehrmmm....a lot! But I too think consumption will eventually come down a bit. I am suspecting, though, that your right foot may still be slightly heavy....? :stick:

Why did you think I got my name.:hihi:

RacerBice
January 9th, 2007, 12:28
Why did you think I got my name.:hihi:

I've heard rumours that your nick actually refers to your braking habits. :harass:

Leadfoot
January 9th, 2007, 14:58
RacerBice,

Now that was just rude.:nana:

But I'm a man and I can take it, just not the way you might want to give it.:hihi:

See two can play that game.:thumb:

RacerBice
January 9th, 2007, 15:23
RacerBice,

Now that was just rude.:nana:

But I'm a man and I can take it, just not the way you might want to give it.:hihi:

See two can play that game.:thumb:

:360: :revs:

James H
January 10th, 2007, 08:31
Without wanting to interupt...I was honestly taking it relatively easy as the manual kind of recommended not going above 2/3s max engine revs for the first 1000 km or so.

Audi quote the fuel consumption in the region of 25 miles per gallon combined cycle so not too dissimilar.....

Even with UK petrol prices, I have long since come to the decision that when I can't afford to fuel the car I want to drive, I'll walk.

One bonus in the circle of life is the TDI A4 that my wife drives averages 45-50 mpg per tank and can get 55-60 mpg on long motorway runs. That way the two kind of balance out......

James

Leadfoot
January 18th, 2007, 17:37
I see Autoexpress has tested the S3 against the competition including the R32. Though as usual the Audi is beaten,:w: UK magazines what are they like, the intersting thing was the acceleration times it posted.

0-60mph .... 5.2s, 0-100mph .... 13.8s

both very impressive times to say the least.

The magazines choice was the R32 which they reckoned combined the sporty dynamics of the S3 with the best ride, even though it posted a very slower 17.6s to 100mph. At least the win stayed in the family.:thumb:

tazsura
January 18th, 2007, 22:49
Leadie....

Autoexpress:eye: Tut tut...what were you thinking reading that?

Please tell me that was the only magazine available at the time of purchase...?

Taz :jlol:

Leadfoot
January 19th, 2007, 08:12
Leadie....

Autoexpress:eye: Tut tut...what were you thinking reading that?

Please tell me that was the only magazine available at the time of purchase...?

Taz :jlol:

Sorry Taz, there was it and Stitch-Weekly and I had already read it.:D

To tell the truth, I wish I could speak German because I think their review are more balance, but out of all the UK Mags I think EVO give the best least biased review on this little Island.

Back to the review what did you think of it's times, impressive don't you think.:thumb:

tazsura
January 19th, 2007, 09:37
Forgiven Leadie, but only just.

EVO is defo the best of the UK mags and they seem to judge every car on individual merit...rather than public opinion and their own prejudices a-la most other UK car mags.

Back to the times. The 0-60 is very good and 0-100, even better! I'm really falling for the S3 after an initial not-that-impressed first view. I was at lunch the other day and saw & heard one being ripped to high heaven and it looked & sounded fantastic! :love: :music:

Taz:burnout:

RacerBice
January 19th, 2007, 09:55
R32 better than S3....? Well, if you want a practical car and masculine engine sound, yes. But in every other aspect the S3 has the upper edge by quite some margin. I have now read some 10 or so other tests of the S3 compared to the R32 and this is the first time I've heard of anyone favouring the VW.

See also my new thread "S3 vs TT 3,2", in regard of S3 beating the TT around Oschersleben, but more interestingly the R32 by 3,5 secs. R32 better than S3....? Yeah, right. :doh:

Leadfoot
January 19th, 2007, 23:36
R32 better than S3....? Well, if you want a practical car and masculine engine sound, yes. But in every other aspect the S3 has the upper edge by quite some margin. I have now read some 10 or so other tests of the S3 compared to the R32 and this is the first time I've heard of anyone favouring the VW.

See also my new thread "S3 vs TT 3,2", in regard of S3 beating the TT around Oschersleben, but more interestingly the R32 by 3,5 secs. R32 better than S3....? Yeah, right. :doh:

TopGear magazine has also put the R32 ahead of the S3, as yet I haven't read it but I believe Mr Clarkson was one of the reviewers so it will be interesting to see what he says.

Back to the Autoexpress review, I do understand why they could put the R32 first even though I personally don't agree with them. The R32 is an amazing piece of kit, it's handling is sublime, it has a engine/exhaust note to die for and can be ordered with two things the S3 can't, 4doors and DSG. Yes I know it is slower than the Audi and it's looks aren't as exciting but it does hold it's own against the rest of the competition and it does all this while still providing the best ride/refinement in to the bargain.

To the Audis defence it's not really trying to appeal to the family man and though it can't give you 4doors it does provide the same boot space and rear seat space as the Golf in a lot classier package and a better badge image. It might not have the engine note but it does have the pace and down any given road will put the wellies up any supercar with least than 400hp. The fact that it doesn't have DSG/S-Tronic might turn some off but with it's short-shift box it does give the added connection that the brilliant DSG doesn't.

As you can see there is valid points for both and depending on what your requirements. Now who said their products were too alike, these two cars show that the clever men at VAG have all the bases covered.

RacerBice
January 22nd, 2007, 08:30
Well, the R32 isn't exactly your ideal family car either, is it? It comes as a 4door too, yes, but otherwise it is equally deprived of space and boot capacity, it's just as noisy, and it offers almost as hard a ride, etc, etc. So although more practical, I would still expect anyone making that a priority would look elsewhere. And in terms of "sublime handling", the R32's I have driven were nose-heavy, and had too much understeer even by Audi standards. Again, obviously you need some driver's skills to extract the best of a car, and I might not be the best guy around. But that goes for most of the R32 and S3 buyers. Even as Autobahn-racer the R32 comes up short.

So here's what I reckon. You now have the S3, which has proven again and again to be the superior sports alternative. You also have the 130i, which offers all of that which the R32 offers and even more (better handling and straight-line speed) and which all the BMW nuts will go for no matter what. In addition to that, you have the 3MPS, also quicker than the R32, even more practical, and (most importantly) insanely cheap. Plus the Megane F1 230, which will appeal to the French. ST220 is another budget alternative, I guess, whilst Evo's and WRX's are the obvious rallye alterantives. Where does all this leave the R32? With rapidly diminishing sales numbers, is what I think. The only ones who should reasonably be interested in an R32 are those who are willing to sacrifice sheer speed for the feel and sound of a howling six cylinder, but who still cannot bear the ugly looks of the beemer. Not a very big market, if you ask me.... Everyone else apart from BMW nutters will probably be buying or at least wanting the S3.

So good choice, James!

:s3addict:

Leadfoot
January 22nd, 2007, 20:40
RacerBice,

I would have done the exactly same thing as James, choosing the S3 but that's not to say that the R32 isn't a worth while competitor. If the S3 was offered with DSG and in the Sporthatch form then I would agree that there was no need for the R32 at all. But it isn't and there is a lot of people out there that like the VAG brand, their driving style over others and this size of car. The person that will choose the S3 or R32 will never go for the Ford or the Mazda, both are beneath them, the Beemer apart from being ugly has no space at all and as for the EVO and the STi both are so uncomfortable and extreme as to endure a drive over 30 minutes would leave you half deaf and needing a physio.

The R32 has a rightful place in the market as an options to those who are looking for something a little more practical than the S3 with a tiny bit more refinement and class from the engine. And this last statement is in no way a problem with the 2.0TFSi in the S3, it more suits the type of person who will choose the R32.

I know it's slower and with it's extra weight from this engine does dull the handling over the S3 but in no way could you call it bad, if you are finding it to understeer then you aren't trying hard enough, throw it into a corner and it just grips and on slippy wet road you can get a little oversteer if you keep your right foot planted to the floor. It a bit like the difference between the TT2.0 and the TT3.2, the 2.0 behaves like the S3, darty and alive were as the 3.2 behaves like the R32, just as grippy but feeling a little slower in it's actions.

RacerBice
January 23rd, 2007, 10:37
OK, I'll take your word for it in regard of handling. The ones I've tried were all (three) borrowed from friends at the importer or at dealerships, so although I tried to push them close to the limits, I did leave some room for margins. Would have been embarrassing to return a dented car....

And it'll be interesting to see if you're right, Leadie, since what you're saying would surely make a lot of sense to some buyers. I am nevertheless still guessing that the R32 will find fewer and fewer of them. People I talk to (friends but more importantly colleagues) were previously discussing predominantly R32, almost without even mentioning the A3 3,2. And at our parking lot, a few R32's appeared but not a single A3 3,2. Since the S3 entered the stage at a price comparable to that of the R32, all interest seems to be lost in the latter and I know that several S3's are on order or being contemplated here at work. On the other hand, most R32's I've seen here in Sweden have had 4 doors....

In fact, I think that some ST220, Evo, WRX and Megane buyers may well have looked at the R32 sometime during their purchasing process. Realistically not very many of them, I agree, but if none of those four cars existed then certainly VW would have sold a few more R32's. That per definition is losing deals to the competition. Although I think R32 looses more to S3, 130i and even 3MPS, being closer rivals and more logical alternatives....

RB

Ps. By the way, although the best automatic I've ever tried, the DSG still has its annoying features IMHO. Like almost leaping forward slightly when downshiftning in order to engine break, like losing track of the gear shifting buttons when you turn the steering wheel, etc. And if you're still gonna use the stick, there's so much more feel and sport character to a regular manual. So If the S3 came with DSG, I probably wouldn't have ordered it any way. At least not for, like 15 grand.

Leadfoot
January 23rd, 2007, 23:10
OK, I'll take your word for it in regard of handling. The ones I've tried were all (three) borrowed from friends at the importer or at dealerships, so although I tried to push them close to the limits, I did leave some room for margins. Would have been embarrassing to return a dented car....

And it'll be interesting to see if you're right, Leadie, since what you're saying would surely make a lot of sense to some buyers. I am nevertheless still guessing that the R32 will find fewer and fewer of them. People I talk to (friends but more importantly colleagues) were previously discussing predominantly R32, almost without even mentioning the A3 3,2. And at our parking lot, a few R32's appeared but not a single A3 3,2. Since the S3 entered the stage at a price comparable to that of the R32, all interest seems to be lost in the latter and I know that several S3's are on order or being contemplated here at work. On the other hand, most R32's I've seen here in Sweden have had 4 doors....

In fact, I think that some ST220, Evo, WRX and Megane buyers may well have looked at the R32 sometime during their purchasing process. Realistically not very many of them, I agree, but if none of those four cars existed then certainly VW would have sold a few more R32's. That per definition is losing deals to the competition. Although I think R32 looses more to S3, 130i and even 3MPS, being closer rivals and more logical alternatives....

RB

Don't doubt me when I say the S3 is the better car and for anyone really interested in driving it's the perfect choice. But there is a place in the market for the R32 as well.

Here's a question for you. If there wasn't going to be a S3 and you're only choice in this market was the 130i, Mazda 3 MPS, ST220 and the R32, which would you choose? Me, the answer would be simple but my head has always ruled, that why I drive an Audi over all others.:D

RacerBice
January 24th, 2007, 09:05
Here's a question for you. If there wasn't going to be a S3 and you're only choice in this market was the 130i, Mazda 3 MPS, ST220 and the R32, which would you choose? Me, the answer would be simple but my head has always ruled, that why I drive an Audi over all others.:D

Easy answer, Leadie, one that I think will make you happy.

130i = Great spec, but too fecking ugly. Last choice by a mile.
3MPS = Great value, but wildly spinning front wheels and the looks of a mini-van? No thanks. Third choice.
ST220 = Again, front wheel spinning and not much quality feel. But cheeky package, so second choice.
R32 = Superior in this company, for all the reasons you have already mentioned (and also for its superbly looking interior, which I actually prefer even over the S3).

Actually, I was contemplating this very question at a time prior to S3 launch when I thought the Swedish importer would stick a ridiculous price tag on it. My thoughts then lingered also around the TT 2,0 T (which though I ruled out for practicality and traction reasons), and the A3 in both 2,0TQ and 3,2 Q options. Although I hadn't made up my mind, the analysis had come to the point of choosing between the R32 and the A3 3,2Q when suddenly the S3 was launched at a price comparable to that of the two six-cylinders.

So again, it's not that I don't like the R32, because I really do. Especially with 2 doors.

AudiFanatic83
January 26th, 2007, 18:05
Absolute Beauty!...i can't get enough of the s3