PDA

View Full Version : RS6 Virgin

Audi Amateur
December 26th, 2006, 12:48
Hi,

After being a big fan of Audi's for years but driving silly company cars like Ford Mondeo's I have reached a stage where i can now afford to buy my first Audi.

I have always been a fan of the S4 back to the days of the 2.7 version and was contemplating buying a used 4.2 S4 but after shopping around have noticed a few RS6's popping up in the £30k price bracket.

I am therefore looking at getting a RS6 and wondered if it was worth spending £30k+ on a car that is being replaced in the coming months.

Is £30k too much? Are there better cars out there for the money? Is the RS6 bags of fun?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated ( I am currently starry eye'd at the moment and just want to rush out and buy one !!!)

bbigman2000
December 26th, 2006, 16:28
Hello,
Yes for certain, they are good value at 30k uk sterling.

There is no point in buying a 2004-2005 model year though, as your paying to much for exactly the same thing, and it wont reflect in your resale.

These cars are not on dealers books i.e Glasses /cap or blacks price guides.

The new model is NOT going to do anything to the price of the current RS6 range.

These new ones will be very pricey, and only available in Avant, it will be three years before they become viable for most as an actual purchase, until then they will be under HP, and lease hire etc.

You will not find a better built, more reliable super car than an RS6, go for it.

Audi Amateur
December 26th, 2006, 16:46
Thats the sort of response I was looking for !!!

I am looking at a 53 reg with 23,000 miles and only one owner

I will probably end up killing myself mind

bbigman2000
December 26th, 2006, 18:06
Heh heh, thats gonna be a complete bargain then bud dependant on whether its had the belt done or not ?

Audi Amateur
December 26th, 2006, 18:10
It's from a main dealer with a full audi history so i am presuming it should be ok.

Visually it looks like new.

I have been looking at loads of performance cars and for sheer power it seems there is virtually nothing out there that even comes anywhere near it!!

I have arranged a test drive tomorrow and i just know for a fact that i am going to want it there and then

LU-RS6
December 26th, 2006, 18:41
Hi Audi Amateur,

First of all I want to welcome you here.

In my opinion cars like the RS6, RS4, etc are very good value if you find a good second hand one.
I think the price you are quoting is well justified for that mileage. Just be sure that the car has not been abused. In any case testdrive it!! I cannot emphasize that enough.

So, instead of buying a used S4 or S6, which are outstanding cars don't understand me wrong, go after your real dream if that is an RS6, and you will not regret it. Actually in between writing this post I went to pick someone up so enjoyed another drive..it is a fabulous car every single inch I drive it.

Keep us posted about what have decided,

Best regards
LURS6

Audi Amateur
December 27th, 2006, 15:10
Well it finally happened today i lost my RS6 virginity and took one for a test drive.

You guys could have warned me what i was getting myself into !!! WOW WOW WOW this machine is an absolute beast!!

The dealer first started the thing up in the showroom and the car gave an almight growl followed by a deep deep purring noise. It sent shivers up my spine and give me nerves before i even sat in the thing.

The sales guy (Co-Pilot) was sat next to me during the test drive and i remember saying to him that i thought the acceleration would have seemed quicker than it actually does. To which his response was, "Do you realise that you are doing 130mph ????"

The car just flies and the rev counter hits the red so quickly it resembled a windscreen wiper going backwards and forwards.

Can I just ask you owners a few questions before i part with my cash??

1. The dealer said a basic service cost around £400 and can cost up to £1,000 depending on what is required. Is this correct?

2. What are we talking cost wise for new brake pads/shoes or an exhaust for example?

3. Rather than provide MPG figures what does a full tank cost (in the UK) and how many miles on average would you get from this?

4. How come none of you have killed yourselves yet?

Minou
December 27th, 2006, 16:14
This is supercar in drag and the potential servicing costs reflect that. Assume that those quoted figures are correct but remember that the 40k service that includes cam belt change will be more. Best to find a non franchised garage.

I recall that front pads were more than the rear but cannot recall the actual figure - I have well over £100 in my head for front set.

A full tank will cost around £70 and I would refill at between 250 to 300 miles depending what type of driving I was doing.

It is quick, so remember that the other driver is not expecting you to appear so quickly in his vision.

Low profile tyres - are easy to damage the side wall with kerbs and verges out in the lanes.

Try and get a warranty that covers suspension problems.

Consider rejecting the car if there are rattles from the rear seat and suspension area.

Enjoy it - they are great.
colin

Benman
December 27th, 2006, 16:18
1. The dealer said a basic service cost around £400 and can cost up to £1,000 depending on what is required. Is this correct?

2. What are we talking cost wise for new brake pads/shoes or an exhaust for example?

3. Rather than provide MPG figures what does a full tank cost (in the UK) and how many miles on average would you get from this?

4. How come none of you have killed yourselves yet?

Going along with Minou's take, here's mine:
1: anywhere from that price range and more. A 35K (miles) service (due again at 75K) is upward of $3KUSD...
2:Front pads are @$700.00USD...
3: Me, our gas prices are so different, there is no point posting, but expect a 250-350 mile driving range (depends on the weight of your right foot)...
4: Driver's training and track day events with the Audi Club. ;)
:cheers:

Ben:addict:

Audi Amateur
December 27th, 2006, 17:41
WOW, the car i am looking at has 23k mileage so in about a years time are you saying i can expect a service cost of circa. £1.5k !!!!

Minou
December 27th, 2006, 18:22
WOW, the car i am looking at has 23k mileage so in about a years time are you saying i can expect a service cost of circa. £1.5k !!!!

Yes. Thats what I meant when I said it is a supercar in drag. I know this is an Audi that comes from the standard showroom but the servicing should be more compared to a Porsche or Ferrari and not an A3 diesel. Obviously a non franchised garage will be cheaper than main dealers but do some checking before you write a cheque. Where are you, in the UK? Try contacting www.fontain.co.uk and check costs. I have not used them but have heard good comments.

colin

colin

bbigman2000
December 27th, 2006, 18:31
I hate to break the news to you buddy, but the belt needs changed every three years irrespective of the fact that you havent covered 40k miles.,

So that car will be due a belt change now, or in reality very soon, you do not want that belt breaking believe me !

£1500 for full service and timing belt , or £1000 for just the belt and pulleys tensioners.

Normal services are £400 yeh, every 9k miles so not bad.

I have a bill here for £2400 for a full brake pad and disc change, but thats for the upgraded drilled discs, you'll be £500 less for the standard items.

That price does include vat and fitment.

Fuel, yeh optimax and 19mpg £20 does say 90-100 miles.

Your talking about a supercar here, so you have to expect this kind of expense.
However this is a reliable supercar, and nothing else on the road falls into this category, you will not regret your purchase, they are even more awesome once your into a weeks ownership.

Benman
December 27th, 2006, 19:01
Your talking about a supercar here, so you have to expect this kind of expense.
However this is a reliable supercar, and nothing else on the road falls into this category, you will not regret your purchase, they are even more awesome once your into a weeks ownership.

Yes, remember, even though you may be purchasing this Beast in the high 30K (SP) range, it is still a 58K (SP) car. It will always be more akin to a Porsche for service costs than the A3TDI that Minou mentioned. ;)

A 7 year old 575 Ferrari is still just as expensive to service as a 2 year old one. ;)

Ben:addict:

Leadfoot
December 27th, 2006, 19:59
Ben,

The old the car becomes, the more expensive the servicing becomes, sorry for this reality check guys. The only silver lining is that it's a main stream motor and as such most body parts and electrics are a lot cheaper than real supercars.

Audi Amateur
December 27th, 2006, 20:42
Thanks, A lot to think about there then especially with the service costs. If it is a requirement that the belt be changed every three years then i will ensure the dealer carries this out beforehand.

The car i am looking at also has a SAT NAV/TV Tuner, i am told that the TV will only work when the car is stationary. Is it possible to modify this so it works whilst the car is in motion?

Audi Amateur
December 27th, 2006, 21:02
These are the service costs from Fontain, what is a 1st and 2nd variable service????

Lube Service £178.98
Annual Service £432.33
20,000 mile service £458.24
40,000 mile service £552.19
1<SUP>st</SUP> Variable service &#163;472.24
2<SUP>nd</SUP> Variable service &#163;566.20
Brake Fluid Change &#163;59.34
Cambelt replacement &#163;751.80
Four wheel alignment &#163;129.25
Air Con service &#163;85.00

bobjebb
December 27th, 2006, 21:58
There is no point in buying a 2004-2005 model year though, as your paying to much for exactly the same thing.

Are you sure about this? I would always buy the latest variant of any model that I could... As per the B7 RS4 for example, in that case there are clearly a few minor teething issues that will certainly be ironed out by year two or three.

Audi Amateur
December 27th, 2006, 22:03
i would love the RS6+ or a new model but with &#163;30k being about my budget what more could you get for the price?

bbigman2000
December 27th, 2006, 23:33
Those are good service prices, not sure they include Vat though.

Bob, the RS6 isnt in any of the guides, the mechanics of the car didnt change from day 1, there was no revisions during the build process from late 2002 until mid 05.

Exactly the same car,

Your RS6 will be half its list price at 3 years old in real terms.

I would personnally buy a 3 year old car that has taken the hit, but of course look for one that haslow miles and has of course been looked after.

The + is a different story, being a limited run, residuals I expect will stay higher.

None of this is of course gospel, but I do always buy and sell trade prices, and I do study the trade press and price guides every week.

Audi Amateur , there is no new model yet ! And yes you can get your TV sorted fairly easily so it will work in motion.

I personnally dont think you will find another car that ticks so many boxes and has 450bhp + for 30k !!

rubyblack
December 28th, 2006, 02:10
Ditto Bbigman.....I've said it before and I'll say it again.

RS6: Its the most fun you can have with your clothes on!!! :0: :dig:

Compliments of the year dudes, lets have a safe and enjoyable and points free 2007....

:wo:

AMG EATR
December 28th, 2006, 03:42
Maybe its differentent in the UK, but the 4 year warranty should cover everything for a year. I have not paid a dime for service. Also, does the us warranty cover teh belts every three years.

Audi Amateur
December 28th, 2006, 08:41
I am considering trying to negotiate into the sale price a replacement timing belt to be on the same side.

bbigman, is the TV modification something that would need carrying out by a dealer or is it something easy that i could do?

bbigman2000
December 28th, 2006, 10:26
Its something you can do yourself if you are fairly competent which im sure you are.

Basically you need to pull out the nav system from the dash, chop a wire, connect up a switch and thats it.

By chopping the wire though you can loose accuracy on your sat nav as I believe its the speed sensor wire that you cut.

Hence most people put it on a switch so that when using the Nav you just flick it back on.

LU-RS6
December 28th, 2006, 17:41
Audi Amateur, I've made a thread on the TV thing..you can check my switch pics at http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10747

Best wishes for 2007!

LU-RS6