PDA

View Full Version : V12 TDI "confirmed"

buyalemon
December 22nd, 2006, 16:55
http://www.automotorsport.se/nyhetsmall.asp?version=43853

-According to a member of the Audiboard, they have diceded to put the V12 diesel in the R8

:applause:

KresoF1
December 22nd, 2006, 17:04
According to my friend who is Audi's regional director of sales South/East Europe this is not going to happened...

But, if this "deep throat" false info is true then:

-2050kg weight of R8 V12 TDI
-automatic gearbox
-30% front, 70% rear weight distribution

I really do not understand why are some people raving about diesel engine in true sportscar(and R8 is true sportscar!)?
Sound? 4.2L V8 in R8 will ALLWAYS sound better IMHO. Fuel consumption? Then buy yourself Polo TDI...

I know that many members here will not agree with me but, for me diesel engine in R8, even V12 TDI is a big NO, NO...

El_cucaracha
December 22nd, 2006, 17:30
i think it will be real supercar... R10 with same engine lost only once this year, jet fighter was 0.1 seconds faster on 800 meters

Mr Balsen
December 22nd, 2006, 17:51
My little finger was told it was technically impossible because there was not enough room in the engine bay. Not to even mention the cooling problem....

Cheers,
Frederic

Leadfoot
December 22nd, 2006, 19:03
Well if Frederic says it's impossible than that is good enough for me, but things that look to be impossible somehow end up happening just because someone said it couldn't be done.

Anyway, if it did happen it would be like a diesel version of the Veyron. To some a pointless exercise, but to others an amazing achievement. Yes it wouldn't sound like any known supercar but after it warmed up I bet it would be a great sound all the same and what effortless acceleration it would have. As regards to the handling, the engineers will make it work just look what they achieved with the Bugatti, something that according to EVO can leave an Enzo on a twisty road and it's got not too light of an engine behind the seat.

You may say why, but the answer is why not, someone will do it eventually so why not Audi. Remember, there is only two type of people and things remembered, the ones that achieve the goal and the ones that first try. Everyone else are only along for the ride.

buyalemon
December 23rd, 2006, 18:52
My little finger was told it was technically impossible because there was not enough room in the engine bay. Not to even mention the cooling problem....

Cheers,
Frederic

The V12 is only 16cm longer than 4,2TDI ...I think the V10 is about the same length! And if the Q7 V12tdi will do 60 in 5,5 sec ...well the R8 will seriously move forward!!

Mr Balsen
December 23rd, 2006, 19:17
The V12 is only 16cm longer than 4,2TDI ...I think the V10 is about the same length! And if the Q7 V12tdi will do 60 in 5,5 sec ...well the R8 will seriously move forward!!

Yes but the V12 TDI will a lot wider than the current V8 because of the intercoolers ! ! !

I hope to be wrong because Audi will be the first one to do a Diesel supercar like they have been the first one to win the 24 hours of Le Mans with a TDI Engine. But as my friend Roland Gumpert will say "you can not beat the laws of physic...."

Let see first when the Q7 V12 TDI is the Audi Dealer showroom....

Cheers,
Frederic

Leadfoot
December 23rd, 2006, 21:43
I hope to be wrong because Audi will be the first one to do a Diesel supercar like they have been the first one to win the 24 hours of Le Mans with a TDI Engine. But as my friend Roland Gumpert will say "you can not beat the laws of physic...."

Cheers,
Frederic

Yeah, but as we all know, with ESP you can bend them.:D

RXBG
December 24th, 2006, 20:11
i second the notion about the cooling issue. but it seems that audi can pretty much do anything it sets its mind to. though this engine might perhaps be the last one that goes into the R8. perhaps it will be the last version or RS version that is seen. i am still intrigued by how audi plans (or if it plans) to introduce S or RS versions of the R lines.

Mori
December 25th, 2006, 01:12
Rev ranges suck in diesels - the reason I hate them. Nothing like revving to 8250 eh? ;)

Audiphile
December 25th, 2006, 04:19
Isn't the Q7 with the V12 TDI powerful enough?! Such massive torque with a diesel fits the Q7 perfectly.