PDA

View Full Version : Tv Mod : Watch While Driving

LU-RS6
December 20th, 2006, 22:48
I have just got back from my mechanic: he has arranged for me (ahum sorry my passengers) to be able to watch TV while driving.
Some people are doing this by cutting the cable which is telling the car's speed, I think it is called the Gala cable. DO NOT DO THIS, it will screw up your navigation a bit (your navi will only rely on the sattelites and thus will be less accurate as it does not know at what speed you are moving) and also your radio / cd volume will not boost automatically anymore when you are driving faster.
On the picture you can see the switch he installed.
http://users.telenet.be/c_noordzij/AUDI%20RS6/IMGP0180%281%29.jpg

Best regards
LU-RS6

bbigman2000
December 20th, 2006, 22:50
lol, go on then, tell us how its done !!

LU-RS6
December 20th, 2006, 23:03
It is just a switch to put the Gala cable on/off, so the trick is very simple. Ofcourse it depends on your mechanic how neat they can built in the switch.
I wasn't there to take pictures of the work done unfortunately, it took about 2 hours to built in the switch etc so I went to do other stuff. I couldn't be of any help to him as my mother gave me 2 left hands if you know what I mean :D

You can also use one of the buttons in your front dashboard above your navi system (picture below), which reduces the time of work significantly. My guy had to break open the whole middle console :mech: He insisted on putting the switch at the place where it is because it is easier for passengers to reach.

http://www.soldo.de/audi/navi/images/unveraendert.jpg

bbigman2000
December 21st, 2006, 00:52
ok mate, thanks for that, sounds fairly straight forward, but I think I will leave it to the experts, I love my sat nav just as it is, without me putting a screw driver through it lol

Aronis
December 21st, 2006, 02:34
HEY...
THAT WAS MY IDEA TWO YEARS AGO.

LOL..
Did not take the plunge to spend the 3000 on the NAV.....I have a good sense of direction...LOL..

Mike

LU-RS6
December 21st, 2006, 05:32
bbigman2000, one of the guys at your dealer will surely know how to get the job done. I paid only EUR 40,- for the tv mod, 2 hours work at 15 EUR + 10 EUR for the switch. Probably at your official dealer they will charge you a bit more. As told before, if you chose a switch above your navi it will probably cost less.

Best regards
LU-RS6

skiwi
December 21st, 2006, 09:11
i have procured and used the switch for the roller blind (lhs switch position) to work both the garage door and the valentine 1 mute. it's a simple momentary contact switch and i put a relay across it, powered by the ,to drive both functions. no surplus buttons, fills the annoying switch blank, and is very good ergonomics for the valentine...

bbigman2000
December 21st, 2006, 14:46
LU cheers mate, yeh il speak to the head tech there and see whats what.

LU-RS6
December 22nd, 2006, 11:31
bbigman2000, if you do need more information give me a message then I'll give a call to my mechanic and ask for more details.

Good luck,

Best regards :race:
LU-RS6

bbigman2000
December 22nd, 2006, 13:50
Thanks buddy. Merry Xmas.

gforce
December 29th, 2006, 19:54
If you have the RNS-D (CD Based Navigation System)
You just Disconnect the GALA Wire as it has TWO Input Feeds for speed..

One for the Navigation and One for Switching off Video while In Motion.

The One you need to remove is labeled GALA on the sticker on top of the Nav Unit,

Did it recently and no problems, Nav works fine and so does video in motion

bbigman2000
December 30th, 2006, 15:49
Thanks gforce

gforce
December 30th, 2006, 16:40
Np,

I Recently did this for an RS6

TeddyBGame
December 31st, 2006, 05:27
You should specify which nav unit you are referring too:

1) RNS-D (CD-based): Looks like the original picture at the start of this thread. See how to do this via www.nsxjr.com (downloads section; see my RNSD document). FYI - the RNSD has the gala/speed signal sent to both the 8 pin and 26 pin connector. You add a switch to the gala wire going to the 8 pin connection..and NOT the 26 pin. 26 pin gala feeds the nav portion of the RNSD.

2) RNS-E (DVD-based): sure you can add a switch to the analog gala wire in the C5 platform, but your nav will not update regularly. Most of the folks in the states with the RNS-E are having their units recoded for VIM (video in motion). See forsale section of www.navplus.us

Good luck!
-Ted

gmbh6
January 4th, 2007, 02:42
Just don't run anyone over.

Watching TV while you drive is dangerous......I know cause I do it all the time. And one of these days I'll kick the habit.....it's just that bad habits are hard to drop.

jonas21
August 23rd, 2007, 19:09
The RNS-E has a "backdoor" so you can do this without spending hundreds of $.
See:
http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5678&start=105&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=