PDA

View Full Version : Power loss - another report

SpinEcho
December 20th, 2006, 02:55
I figured I should add my recent experience to the forum, as I'm sure more people will encounter this issue.

As with many here, I started to experience intermittent loss of power. This occurred under high boost conditions at large throttle openings (easiest to reproduce when lugging hard from low revs in 4th gear). At first, it happened rarely and would result in severe loss of power, with very slow climbing of the revs and hardly any acceleration (severe retardation of the ignition). Then, more recently, I would get irregular, surging boost even under gentler throttle application, together with a subtle but definite whistle from the engine compartment.

Bottom line: defective boost regulator valves, replaced under warranty.

On a more pleasant note - these puppies arrived recently. They'll be going on next spring before track season - can't wait!

Radiation Joe
December 20th, 2006, 05:59
Ditto.
I've had the same problem. I haven't had it diagnosed officially by the dealer, but I've assumed the diverter valves are giving me trouble.
Joe

Oh. BTW, nice brakes.

skiwi
December 20th, 2006, 06:49
fwiw, diverter valves should only cause issues on overrun, they can leak, but you would notice this under all conditions. the boost control system is there to limit boost under a range of conditions, to avoid schrapnel in the tank...

as with a boost control system, a failure usually results in a code being logged.

LU-RS6
December 20th, 2006, 08:41
Those brakes seem amazing. What price did you pay for the set?

Radiation Joe
December 21st, 2006, 01:40
The dealer told me today that it might be the control solenoid (boost control valves as mentioned earlier). This component is what controls the pressure going to the waste gates on the turbos. The technician told me that these can get contaminated and act eratically. Subsequently, I went out and did at least 10 0-80mph runs. On the third run, the boost went away. After that, I could not replicate the problem. I actually believe that I cleaned the solenoid valve by running air through it several times.
Lesson learned: We have to run the cars hard every now and then to keep them running in top form.
Joe

Aronis
December 21st, 2006, 02:23
I run mine hard FREQUENTLY that's the fun of the car...LOL....even with the snow tires on....

:)

Benman
December 21st, 2006, 15:52
Spin:cheers: ,

Sorry to hear about the troubles. Thanks for the heads up. :thumb:

As for the brakes, you'll love em'. I have em' on a 00' S4 (which I need to sell...) and on our racecar. The pads Stasis uses though are LOUD!!! so be aware that you haven't seen any brake squeal yet. ;)

Ben:addict: