PDA

View Full Version : New Rival to the M3 & RS4

Leadfoot
December 14th, 2006, 12:37
Lexus has finally released the name of their rival to the M3, AMG C63 and RS4. It will be called the Lexus IS-F and will be powered by a 5.0L v8 with a 8 speed Paddle shift Automatic gearbox, power will be the equal of the M3 if not the RS4 but will order more torque than either of them.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2061207.009/country/jcf/Lexus/lexus-is-f-concept-to-debut-at-naias

m3fan
December 14th, 2006, 16:38
I read somewhere it's going to have 425hp 405ft. Diff more torque then competition.

The RS6
December 14th, 2006, 16:50
8 speed paddle shift? LoL that will keep the drivers' fingers busy...

Damienr8
December 14th, 2006, 20:53
Lexus better have some tricks up their sleeves to go up against the RS4 and the forthcoming M3.

8 speed paddle shift. Are sequential gearboxes going to continue with the trend...By the time 2010 rolls around were going to see "The new Blahblah with a 18-speed.....)

Leadfoot
December 14th, 2006, 21:25
Lexus better have some tricks up their sleeves to go up against the RS4 and the forthcoming M3.

8 speed paddle shift. Are sequential gearboxes going to continue with the trend...By the time 2010 rolls around were going to see "The new Blahblah with a 18-speed.....)

I know what you mean, 8 gears why so many. Anyone who drives a hi-torque engined car will know that you can drive very fast indeed while leaving the car in top gear. If the Lexus has an amazingly good automatic mode then leaving the gearbox to choice the right gear then it will work, but like you and The RS6 say to change gears yourself will be a hell of a work out for your fingers.

As for what the car will be like, I would reckon Tailpipe will have some ideas on that. As for me, I think it has a lot to prove.

Cale24
December 17th, 2006, 00:36
A lot to prove indeed. The regular IS often comes off second best to regular 3 series' and A4s' in most tests, so their first high performance version will be up against even stiffer opposition. If even BMW are having to work hard to match the RS4, I imagine lexus won't be in the same ballpark.

Mori
December 18th, 2006, 19:32

I just remembered when I got my first 18-speed bicycle. :rotflmao:

RXBG
December 20th, 2006, 18:39
i actually can't can't wait to see it. good for lexus. but i think it will disappoint in the palpable quality department. i sat in a 350 the other day. felt bad for it.... very civic like. audi spoils me. but it'll likely be QUITE quick. very quick. as fast as the RS4 but harder to hook up from a stand still if it doesn't have awd. love to see the first comparo..............

Damienr8
December 20th, 2006, 18:49
i actually can't can't wait to see it. good for lexus. but i think it will disappoint in the palpable quality department. i sat in a 350 the other day. felt bad for it.... very civic like. audi spoils me. but it'll likely be QUITE quick. very quick. as fast as the RS4 but harder to hook up from a stand still if it doesn't have awd. love to see the first comparo..............

I cant wait for the competition! :rotflmao: I also cant wait for the B8 platform. I hope the A4/S4/RS4 shed some serious weight. They are kinda chubby.

RXBG
December 20th, 2006, 19:17
the A5 will be your re-entry into audi-dom....

i have forseen it.

:asian:

LamboM
December 21st, 2006, 14:00
I just got a picture of it from the front and it look good here:
http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/6552/grgrgzo5.png (http://imageshack.us)

tazsura
December 21st, 2006, 14:05
Thats not the front of the IS-F. That's a kit.

Taz

Leadfoot
February 17th, 2007, 16:33
I see the Lexus IS-F will be speed limited but not to the German's 155mph, it's limit will be set at 168mph. Is this a case of one upmanship or what. Does anyone believe this and the fact that the R8's limit is 187mph will spell the end of this stupid agreement and finally see the true potential of these amazing cars.

Mori
February 17th, 2007, 18:05
Hopefully.

Ruergard
February 18th, 2007, 16:47
Fun! Will be fun to see what it can perform. Though, I don't think that it really can compare with the RS4 or the new M3.