PDA

View Full Version : break squealing

Las Palmas
December 6th, 2006, 17:47
Recently I purchased a RS6 with 22,ooo miles.So far I absolutley love the car.Recently I noticed a pretty good brake squeal when I stop.I called the dealer and he told me thats fairly normal for these cars due to the type of brake pads they use.Is this bull or is my dealer being straight with me.The car was CPOed so the brakes should be in good shape but that squeal seems loud.

Hy Octane
December 6th, 2006, 19:10
The brakes, they squeal .. some more than others..

got boost
December 6th, 2006, 19:37
I believe Hy Octane said it best.

Congrats on the purchase!

bbigman2000
December 6th, 2006, 21:25
Yes they squeal, and it is due to the consistency of the pads.

Las Palmas
December 6th, 2006, 21:31
So basically by your answers this squealing is normal and tolerated by RS6 drivers.In other words "Deal With It" or get another car?

Copper
December 6th, 2006, 22:31
Car was CPO'd and is 3 weeks old. When coming to a slow stop (bumper to bumper traffic, etc.) loud squeal. I have an app't with the dealer next week, so they will look at it.

Someone post a technical reason why this happens so I can direct the service dept at the Audi dealer.

Thanks!

Sean

Las Palmas
December 6th, 2006, 22:48
After reading all the posts I think there is not a solution for your audi dealer to help you with otherwise all these other guys would have fixed it or came up with a solution.

Squirrel
December 6th, 2006, 22:49
Been posted before, but if you go through a good pad bedding procedure , you can eliminate the noise. My favorite procedure is at baer.com, but you can just do 8-10 hard stops in a row I think. Noise will come back after a while, so be prepared to repeat. So far, I have not found a need to repeat for the past 10 months and 8k miles.

Aronis
December 6th, 2006, 23:08
bedding procedure requires HIGH speed slow down so the pads HEAT up.....

That said...

My new front rotors (with previously replaced pads) are KILLING ME....I have not taken the time to do the said HIGH speed bedding...toooooo dam busy..... LOL...

The sqeak is LOUD but it says "hello, I am stopping" LOLOLOLOL

Mike

bbigman2000
December 6th, 2006, 23:56
Yeh its normal with these type of pads, obviously they need to contain materials which are resistant to heat, but yet offer a decent amount of resistance and friction.

Nothing atall the dealer can do as it is completley normal.

LU-RS6
December 15th, 2006, 19:56
I have the same squeeling but only very silently, and indeed only in bumper to bumper traffic...I guess the squeeling will become harder in time untill you're due for a brakepad-change.
Had to do a full stop on the E314 in Belgium today from 220 to about 100 because some idiot refused to use his mirrors..Noticed that right after ending the braking I heard a long, strange noise...I can't really compare it with anything but if I have to come up with something I'd say a didgeridoo :vhmmm: LOL. Could it be that the brakes ventilate more after some high braking?

skiwi
December 16th, 2006, 06:06
generally the pad compound is the culprit. you can change the compound (softer), but then you lose some braking ability. glazing is the other common reason, and, as posted, this can be mitigated by the technique of several high-speed stopping attempts...

RSVI
December 17th, 2006, 22:51
I had this before when upgrading discs and pads on another car.

The way to overcome the noise is to use "copper grease"

Ask the dealer to do it on the next service.

audirs6sport
December 18th, 2006, 14:27
I don't know if you've already noticed this, but the cross-drilled rotors that we have, over in time, they actually trap more and more brake dust; which eventually causes some of it to leak out after the pad is in hard contact with braking procedure. Once it comes out and rubs on to the surface, it tends to amplify the sound of our squealing problem. When giving your beast a nice bath, I suggest to spray pressurized water aimed through each small holes. :addict:

LIRS6
December 18th, 2006, 19:30
What squirrel said (bedding in the pads) - worked great for me, no squeal AT ALL. This is what I did - got the car upto about 60 mph (90 kph ?), then hit the brakes hard. Repeated about 6 times. I did this with new pads, not sure what the procedure is with older pads.

Hy Octane
December 18th, 2006, 19:57
This is what I did - got the car upto about 60 mph (90 kph ?), then hit the brakes hard. Repeated about 6 times.

Time for new pads! :cheers:

Benman
December 21st, 2006, 15:29
What squirrel said (bedding in the pads) - worked great for me, no squeal AT ALL...

I'll second that. I've been relatively squeal free for over two years. It's all about proper bedding. After a really hard run, some minor squealing may occur at low speeds, but goes away after cool down. :cheers:

Ben:addict:

LU-RS6
January 13th, 2007, 15:51
Can other members confirm that squealing is mainly a heat issue on the RS6 brakes? We did some racing in the Brussels tunnels this night, then went into the city with a lot stop n go, many times accelerating hard and braking hard. When coming to a stop at slow speeds the brakes were squealing REALLY loud.
Though when we were cruising through the Red Light District (we were only watching :jlol: ), I didnt use the brakes for about 30 minutes, and didn't notice any squealing after that. I suppose the brakes got to cool down a bit?

Anyone installed the MTM brakes or any other brakes that are adviseable? I am not happy with the standard brakes, the brakes heat up massively when stopping from +200km/h speeds, you can even feel it in the pedal and even hear some sort of a jetsound coming from the brakes.

Best regards
LU-RS6

skiwi
January 13th, 2007, 18:31
the issue is heat. bigger brakes won't help that very much at all. imo, much better to address the core issue, and work on ways to cool the brakes. see separate thread on using the phaeton colling duct and backing plates, which is what i'll be looking at closely...

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8885

Qisha
January 13th, 2007, 19:02
Hello Las Palmas,

even the Movit brake set-ups squeal. The a&o is the correct bedding procedure.
In no way any other activity will lead to a lasting result. Brakes squeal, on Porsches, on Ferraris, on Lamborghinis, the harder the pads -> the more squealing.

If money means nothing to you, we did a ceramic conversion one time. parts from the RS4, special prototype fitment with the correct offset. no squealing, no brake dust, no heating up problems (the brakes need temperature to gain 100% grip). You can buy a middle class car for the amount of money you will have to spend since it is unique. This was done for track application, no clearance for german roads. :nono:

Qisha