PDA

View Full Version : RS6/S6 as a daily driver?

hemants
December 3rd, 2006, 03:55
For those of you who are like me and 80% of your driving is to and from work at a modest pace (<50mph), how do you find ways to enjoy your car?

Is it overkill to have a car like this when you can only stretch it's legs on weekends?

Still trying to decide between A6 4.2 S line and S6 for my next car.

I know no one can answer that for me blah blah blah - but I am seeking opinions!

SpinEcho
December 3rd, 2006, 04:16
Every day I enjoy it! The bottomless torque is what makes this such a great commuting car - progress is effortless in heavy traffic whenever you need to pull out, or squeeze into a gap. Plus, no-one knows what the car is, so they don't get all aggressive on you. And at this time of the year, if you live in a northern climate, you get to laugh at all the poor b@s#rds without AWD every time you pull away from a stop.

skiwi
December 3rd, 2006, 08:51
the rs6 is a drivers car. kt shrinks around you in a way any other a6 doesn't. you can enjoy this going up to the shops, let alone work. and then you have the knowledge that you are driving one of the all time great cars....

Benman
December 4th, 2006, 18:26
Hemants,

There is a saying I remember hearing,

"One does not buy a thoroughbred to give pony rides to the children at fairgrounds." :D

That said, I would love to be able to say that I use my RS 6 for commuting. But unlike some, I put @85 miles each day on my "commuter" (and not is not including all the weekend trips in the Beast) and after 3+ years of RS 6 bliss, the Beast would have more than 115,000 miles on the ODO by now. Something I really didn't want. Plus, sitting still in bumper to bumper is no fun for any car, so I now commute on bike. ;)

Iconcls however has close to 80K or so on his :addict: so you could check with him...

Ben:addict:

SoCal
December 4th, 2006, 21:33
The new S6 would not be overkill if you have the budget for it and generally appreciate its advantages.

I use my RS6 as a daily driver in LA without complaint. Sometimes I even wish I had a longer commute. With the extra power and performance, the RS6 is certainly a tremendous pleasure on weekends and on business trips to San Diego or Santa Barbara. The flexibility the car offers even around town or on local freeways far surpasses what an A6 4.2 can offer. If you like the S6, get it.

bbigman2000
December 5th, 2006, 00:00
Shes a weekend or dry day car for me, I use a ford mondeo for work purposes.

The heat the RS6 engine and turbo's generate wouldnt I imagine be very good for sitting in traffic for to long.

Radiation Joe
December 5th, 2006, 14:06
Mine gets driven every single day, except when parked at the airport. I've driven it across country twice this year. Put 20k miles on it in 8 months. It's seen plenty of triple digit speeds, spirited mountain roads, 115+ degree days and single digit temperatures with salted roads.

My philosophy on cars is: If you like driving the car, then drive the hell out of it. I drive a lot and currently it's inconvenient to keep more than one car. I want to have a car I enjoy on multiple levels and the RS6 fits me well right now.

I'm resisting buying an A8 or S8 right now. Promised my GF that I would force myself to drive the RS6 for a year before getting something else. I have about 4 months left. Tough life, eh? Forced to drive an RS6.

Cheers,
Joe

JAXRS6
December 5th, 2006, 15:16
Tough life, eh? Forced to drive an RS6. Cheers,
Joe

:jlol:

Yeah, I figure it's a tough job -- someone has to do it, right? Might as well be us!:bye2:

As posted elsewhere recently, my RS6 has been a great daily driver -- so great that I put too many miles on it & don't want to wear it out! So now, long story short, I bought an 04 Vibe "beater" (actually in good shape) that soaks up much daily driving. One result is that when I do take out the RS6, I appreciate it even more!

:addict:

If the RS6 has shortcomings as a daily driver, they are fuel mileage and ride quality. Still, one thing that seems to be improving with age slightly is ride compliance (acceleration too), and it may not matter much if roads are good. Fuel economy, while not great for a daily driver, still beats much of the competition, as noted elsewhere vs. M5/M6, SRT8, etc.

SoCal
December 5th, 2006, 23:10
If the RS6 has shortcomings as a daily driver, they are fuel mileage and ride quality. Still, one thing that seems to be improving with age slightly is ride compliance (acceleration too

Well said. Same experience here, though my ride compliance hasn't changed. Maybe if I had more miles. Engine now broken in certainly feels faster than it used to, with no mods and no changes in fuel/temps/anything. Mileage could be a lot better around town but is still good on highway, especially given performance:rs6kiss:

T3
December 8th, 2006, 16:05
Historically, I switch cars once a year, but I haven't found anything I would want to replace the RS6 with as a daily driver. It's simply outstanding.

FWIW, I upgraded to the RNS-E nav system and it makes a huge difference. I'm adding the Bluetooth module this weekend, which should make it even more user-friendly.

Only real issue is maintenance/service cost, but with a new S6 that won't be an issue for awhile.

Go with the S6 - having the extra power makes it that much more enjoyable.

bbigman2000
December 8th, 2006, 16:38
T3, I cannot agree more, there is nothing out there to replace the RS6 as yet, il keep looking.

Copper
December 8th, 2006, 17:18
No issues. Ride is a little firm. This could be the best all-around car ever made. Lots of power, plenty of back seat room. Huge trunk, 60/40 folding seats (which my BMW 530i did not have), comfortable seats. Very subtle styling so I can use it for business.. Audi does not have the bling, bling turn off effect like a BMW or Mercedes has. It's a Porsche Turbo in a business suit. With the upgraded Nav-Plus, Bluetooth module and iPod interface, this car will have everything I need for a few years at least.

Sean
:addict:

ghostsnake
December 21st, 2006, 18:34
I really think the S6 is so much more of a car then the 4.2 S Line. Yes the A6 is a very nice car no doubt about it but if I were you I'd go for the S6 just because of its wonderful V10. I've heard from many people who have an S6 and they say it has some aspects of a porsche in a sedan form. The 4.2 S Line lacks the power so in the end go for the S6.

andrewket
December 21st, 2006, 20:35
My S6 is a daily driver and I love it. I even have two car seats for the kiddies in the back. My only complaint which should be fixed soon is that I don't have the iPod interface. Supposedly it should be available as a dealer option in January. Other than that, I suppose it is just too easy to go fast :-)

-A

LIRS6
December 22nd, 2006, 16:24
It's my commuter/everything car....and having it to drive is what helps me get up out of bed each day

Audiphile
December 23rd, 2006, 04:11
Awesome daily driver. No issues. Smooth, yet firm. As my S6 (Bogie) gets more broken in, he feels better in terms of feel and smoothness. One of the best Audis I have ever owned; and this is my 10th one. Easy to drive daily (very refined for a sports sedan to the point of being a luxury sedan - although it is) and getting alot of attention from others. I thought I could be under the radar, but he gets alot of stares and thumbs up. The front LEDs intimidate those poor Lexus drivers.