PDA

View Full Version : Just test drove the S6, S4, and CLS550

hemants
December 2nd, 2006, 21:46
Three different philosophies each with their own strengths.

S4 Tip Avant (only tip they had) - most tossable zip zip car, engine sounds great, FEELS the most powerful*, interior is pure sport - not as much luxury as I would like.

*on paper it's the slowest so this is a perception thing not sure why, sort of the same reason that a turbo A4 feels faster than the V6.

CLS550 - power feels equal to the S6 and more than the S4, interior is luxurious but in a Mercedes sort of way (not sporty), exterior styling is a work of art (subjective but I still say masterpiece, particularly in person), on dry pavement you couldn't do a WOT launch without traction control kicking in -> no need to consider an AMG version for around town - highway cruisers may feel otherwise. Suspension on the firmest setting is a good blend of sport/comfort but handling and steering not as tight as the Audi's

S6 - enter the monster, the engine sound is hypnotic, power delivery is smooth so there isn't really a throw you back in your chair feeling. In contrast to the CLS where there is a slight downshift hesitation and then a swoosh, the S6 is linear but as a result, you won't impress your friends as much if that matters to you. Ride is firm but not uncomfortable although I wouldn't call it a good choice for lexus/mb buyers. You feel everything but not in an annoying way. Adjustible air would have been nice but it's not a show stopper by any means.

Were it not for the emotional factor and exclusivity, however, the A6 4.2 Sline is a fantastic bargain for $20k less. Doesn't FEEL that much slower (I'm talking about the 07) and it leaves some money left over for some costmetic mods that were perhaps a missed opportunity on the sleeper S6.

Tough call, but I'm pretty sure I'll stay in the Audi family at this point - says a lot since I've already had an A4, my bias would have been to change.

ZCD2.7T
December 4th, 2006, 13:44
Tough call, but I'm pretty sure I'll stay in the Audi family at this point - says a lot since I've already had an A4, my bias would have been to change.

And here I'd thought we'd already lost you, based on your recent posts. Good to hear that the S6 impressed you.

Leadfoot
December 4th, 2006, 17:21
I can't speak for the CLS550 or the S6, but the S4 in manual form doesn't half shift and if you looked at the figures for the S6 and the S4 they are not to much different, especially upto 200km/h where the S4 does it in 20.4 seconds and the S6 in 19.8 seconds, so it possibly wasn't your mind playing tricks the S4 really is that quick.

Speedou
December 4th, 2006, 19:15
I can't speak for the CLS550 or the S6, but the S4 in manual form doesn't half shift and if you looked at the figures for the S6 and the S4 they are not to much different, especially upto 200km/h where the S4 does it in 20.4 seconds and the S6 in 19.8 seconds, so it possibly wasn't your mind playing tricks the S4 really is that quick.

But that was with Tip and it really isn't that fast :( Don't know why, but it's just slow fot those power figures.

Leadfoot
December 4th, 2006, 22:15
Yeah I know, but my first test drive was also in a Tip S4 and it too felt mighty quick, I think it's something to do with the kickdown, in fact I almost bought one because of it. When you think about the difference in performance between the manual and tip S4 what would the S6v10 not go like with a manual.

skiwi
December 5th, 2006, 08:56
just driven the s6 and s8. the s6 was very impressive, although as we were doing circuits i couldn't evaluate in real-world conditions. although undoubtidly smaller than the s8 (something not true of the old car), it felt more wieldy than the bigger car. no rs4 or rs6 though (as you'd expect)...

Speedou
December 5th, 2006, 11:24
Yeah I know, but my first test drive was also in a Tip S4 and it too felt mighty quick, I think it's something to do with the kickdown, in fact I almost bought one because of it. When you think about the difference in performance between the manual and tip S4 what would the S6v10 not go like with a manual.

I guess you are right. The kickdown makes such a punch if you are on right speed. And I also believe that the S6 doesn't lose that much power. Maybe Audi did something wrong with S4 (Tip version) or they have now done something right :0: