PDA

View Full Version : Buying my frist RS6 - have some quick questions for you guys

Silver TT
December 1st, 2006, 23:45
I've narrowed my search down to 2 or 3 RS6s and I plan to buy one next week. Few questions:

1. I've heard some talk of the chips being a recipe for disaster. Can this be confirmed by anyone on the board? Are there some chips that have better reliability? If you do the engine and tranny ECU (both of them) is it better for reliability or worse?

2. What is the deal with the stock exhaust? I've seen some with chrome tips and others with black tips. Is one the sport tuned Audi exhaust and the other the base exhaust? Much difference in sound/volume?

3. Some pics of cars with nice 19" aftermarkets would be great. I will want to swap out the shoes almost definitley so would be cool to see some pics.

Thanks guys.

Dan<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Marcus Frost
December 2nd, 2006, 01:43
Hi Dan,

Most people would just say to do a search, but I'm feeling helpful :)

1.) Chips are problematic mostly to the drivetrain (trans/etc). The automatic transmission in the RS6 is not the stoutest in the world and more power just makes it worse. Transmission ECU can help, but could also make it worse.

2.) Stock chrome tip = stock exhaust, black tips = optional "sound enhancing exhaust". Was a $900 option when new, gives the car a very nice sound. I don't know if it actually added any horsepower.

3.) I can't help you there, sorry :)

-m

skiwi
December 2nd, 2006, 03:11
stock 19" wheels...

rks838
December 2nd, 2006, 05:21
see http://www.bb-automobiltechnik.de/bb2004/en/galerie/audi/rs6/index.php for aftermarket wheel pics. My rs6 has sound enhancing exhaust - it sounds AMAZING...you can hear it from a real block away, at that point it's just a deep but barely discernible thrum that might as well be coming from inside the earth. It's not annoying, just be prepared for it to be fairly loud. No, not loud, just deep. Deep...