PDA

View Full Version : Shouldn´t SS+ be standard?!

Ricoloco
November 22nd, 2006, 23:12
Had a quite long testdrive today with a RS4 sedan with SS+. Drove on all kind of roads, both good and bad at different speeds...:incar:

My first impression is, except the speed and sound as all of you other already have reported is how extremely easy the car is to drive. Well balanced clutch that allows the car to be driven in different styles, if you know what I mean. Superb quality troughout the whole car. The steering was super sharp and crisp, easy to change directions without loosing the feeling.

Today I drive a Mini Cooper as I dont really need a car to go to work with. Most weekend trips. That car really feels like a gocart but is quite uncomfortable when the tarmac gets rough and the potholes gather. It really feels like the car is about to break down in two pieces when you hit a hole in the road.

Tried the same with the RS4, at even higher speed and the feeling was quite different. Yes, I felt that there was a hole in the ground but the suspension swollowed the hole quite nice and my kidneys stayed at the right places. Actually, it felt really good and I dont understand why lots of magazines recommend not to choose the SS+. There is no way that I would like the steering to be less sharp in any way, the SS+ makes it just perfect. The buckets are also perfect. And the RS steeringwheel. And the carbon fibre. And the wheels. And the.........actually, I´ve driven a lot of expensive cars during the years (Lambos, Ferraris, Bentleys etc) but the RS4 is a car that can be used every single day, at any weather condition. And the price is a bargain when you think of what you get even if it is "just another A4" for many people.

Just wanted to say that I have made up my mind and decided to go for the SS+.
I am totally in love with the RS4 and I dont really understand how I will make it for the next 3 months without it :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .

Will order it first thing in the morning! :bye:

Erik
November 22nd, 2006, 23:54
I told you ;)

Glad you finally could make a test drive and see for yourself.

India Whiskey Charlie
November 23rd, 2006, 00:05
Thank you very much for the great report. I've had my RS4 for 10 days and 500 miles and am pretty close to declare it the perfect car. Simply because it does just about everything so right and so well. I am, however, a little skeptical about the ride. It just seems that the standard suspension is a tad bit too soft under certain handling conditions. I feel that there are times the DRC is not quite as quick in its reaction time and the shocks take an unwanted dive. I will continue driving and might just reach a conclusion soon. But, between what you found about the SS+ and my feelings, it appears that the SS+ just completes the "perfect" package. Too bad we can't have it in the U.S.

jonnyg
November 23rd, 2006, 15:53
Thanks for the report. If it were available in the us, it would be on my soon to be order sheet. But then again, thats what the aftermarket is for... Congrats on the order.

Nipper
November 24th, 2006, 11:34
I've got the SS+ on my Avant and I think it's definitely the best package. It's pleasantly firm yet still very compliant on the majority of surfaces. And the 10mm drop makes the car look even better!!!!!!

Mori
November 25th, 2006, 18:47
I feel that there are times the DRC is not quite as quick in its reaction time and the shocks take an unwanted dive.

Isn't DRC only on the SS+? At least thats what it said on the Audi.de site some time ago ... :vhmmm:

Ricoloco
November 25th, 2006, 19:01
The DRC II is on the standard RS4 suspension aswell.

cally
January 11th, 2007, 00:57
How much lower is the SS+ suspension compared to the origional susp.

India Whiskey Charlie
January 11th, 2007, 01:07
How much lower is the SS+ suspension compared to the origional susp.
If I remember correctly, I read somewhere it was 10 mm.

cally
January 11th, 2007, 01:11
icic thx. i thought it has more lowered because its very low with the SS+ kit comparing to an original. do you think the H n R spring is 30mm lower?

India Whiskey Charlie
January 11th, 2007, 02:55
icic thx. i thought it has more lowered because its very low with the SS+ kit comparing to an original. do you think the H n R spring is 30mm lower?
I am not familiar with the H&R springs. I also would not change the springs alone. You need to get springs and shocks as a properly engineered set. No aftermarket lowering spring will work properly with the stock shocks, let alone one that will reduce suspension travel by 30 mm.

cally
January 11th, 2007, 04:00
thx, do you think the SS+ is low and good enough?