PDA

View Full Version : New Oil Leak

CornersWell
November 19th, 2006, 14:25
Just had mine in for the 36K major service about a week and a half ago. Have about 1K on it since. Yesterday noticed a fairly significant engine oil leak. Car went to dealer yesterday for Monday service. I've had a leaking valvecover gasket replaced before (at 14K), but this time the garage had a "funny" odor that I couldn't identify. I think HyOctane had something similar. I did a search but couldn't find the post, cause or resolution. Any help?

Thanks,

CW

CornersWell
November 20th, 2006, 23:27
The report back is it's an oil cooler seal that went bad. Nothing major, but naturally they don't have the part!

CW

bbigman2000
November 21st, 2006, 19:37
bugger, best of luck getting it fixed asap mate.

Aronis
November 21st, 2006, 23:54
That's better news at least...not an engine rebuild...good luck ...

just curious, did the dealer try to BLAME you for not power washing the front of the car after the winter to get the salt off the radiator and oil cooler???

Mike

CornersWell
November 22nd, 2006, 00:10
They haven't blamed me, Doc. Yet.

However, the post script to the story is that this part is not available in the US (from any of AoA's 5 warehouses). Audi AG has been notified and the part is to be expedited (red ticketed b/c the car is off the road due to this issue), but since it's coming from the Fatherland, it's not trackable in AoA's parts system. So, it could take a few days or weeks. Parts just doesn't know.

Interestingly, the seal kit is identical to an A8's, except for this one, single seal. Typical!

Isn't this lovely?

CW

Aronis
November 23rd, 2006, 02:43
well, I got items Red Ticketed in a few days....quick from Germany....so it will be less time than you thought.

Mike

CornersWell
November 23rd, 2006, 14:43
I hope you're right, Mike. However, I go to Dubai on Monday for 3 days, so they have plenty of time before I need it back. Besides, the dealer gave me a rental Chevy Cobalt! Seriously, how do American manufacturers even consider what they build as quality? What a serious POS! Well, I guess I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. I'm lucky just to have any car from them.

CW

Aronis
November 23rd, 2006, 15:42
sorry, GM is busy paying for the retirement and health benefits of the surviving widows of guys who worked in their plan 50 years ago......you have to make cuts some where to stay price competative.

Mike

Lateknight
November 23rd, 2006, 19:15
I think it IS the same seal kit as an A8 3.7 (-2003) and an S6 4.2 !!
Part no. 077198405

Shame on AoA for not having this available.

Benman
November 27th, 2006, 16:12
sorry, GM is busy paying for the retirement and health benefits of the surviving widows of guys who worked in their plan 50 years ago......you have to make cuts some where to stay price competative.

Mike

Exactly...

Corners Well,

I had the same leaking valvecover gasket that you did, but not the oil cooler seal. Keep us posted.

Ben:addict: