PDA

View Full Version : Question about catalysts

KK265
November 17th, 2006, 21:27
Is there any experience of removing the latest catalysts about perfomance, noise,problems?A lot of friends with Maserati 4200GT,M3,355,M5 etc have done it without problems.

OzRS4
November 18th, 2006, 00:24
Why do you (or your friends) want to remove the catalyst in the first place? Is there any benefits from doing that? Just wondering.
Isn't the RS4 good enough stock standard???

KK265
November 18th, 2006, 07:33
Why do you (or your friends) want to remove the catalyst in the first place? Is there any benefits from doing that? Just wondering.
Isn't the RS4 good enough stock standard???

Because removing the secondary catalysts all of them saw improvment on HP and torque.I am disapointed from the performance of RS4 and i want to do it more quick.

mi021le
November 18th, 2006, 21:45
get a blower. lol. ull feel it a bit. but its main gain is how loud the exhaust gets. if u want that then i guess. but id just get an exhaust first....

IulianUM
November 21st, 2006, 17:57
Why are you disapointed KK265 ? .:vhmmm:
I am more than happy with mine , and I will change the exhausts and catalists with the MTM ones but the car goes really well .

KK265
November 21st, 2006, 21:31
Why are you disapointed KK265 ? .:vhmmm:
I am more than happy with mine , and I will change the exhausts and catalists with the MTM ones but the car goes really well .

I am dissapointed until now from the straight lne performance and the oil consumption.For example a 4200GT spyder is a little bit quicker in 3th,4th gear with the same weight and less power.I add 1 liter of oil every 2000 km.I like although the cornering ability but i would like the car to oversteer like a skyline or a porsche.I thought that the 60/40 distribution was enough for this.If i was not worried about the paintjob my first priority is to replace doors,fenders,boot etc with carbon parts.At last i do not understand that R8 has not speed limiter and if i delimit completely my car i loose my official warranty!

MR USER
November 21st, 2006, 21:59
What are you going to do with that much power... I'm not in doubt about your skills but before you can exploit the true potential of a car like the rs4 you have to be a professional driver.... more horses will not help your cause for a faster straight line acceleration... you should be looking for another car if so many things disappoint you! may be the ULTIMA GTR does better for your need... that would be a car for someone that is serious about performance!

IulianUM
November 21st, 2006, 22:53
Sorry to hear that .

That sure is a lot of oil , I agree with you KK265 that the car is heavy . I do not race other cars so I have no idea of straight line acceleration comparing with other cars , 3rd gear is very strong , I donīt like 6th , why have a gear that is only useful to economize fuel , more than half of it is out of the limiter . I think that oversteering with the Rs4 is very easy using the rear of the car to help in the exit of the corner (I did it only on a track) but drifting like a Porsche is another thing .
About delimiting the car I have enough like it is , just my point of view , and here , I think , the authorities want to execute those who drive over 150 Km/h . I have the impression that when sitting in the car you are breaking the law not to mention driving it .

Have you changed the oil filter ? How many Km do you have ? Mine seems that doesnīt like the hot weather , how much temp do your car mark ?

I like mine a lot , changing the catalists could give you some ponies but not to make a big difference , also a CF hood and ceramic brakes take off some weight from the front but not too much .

KK265
November 22nd, 2006, 06:54
What are you going to do with that much power... I'm not in doubt about your skills but before you can exploit the true potential of a car like the rs4 you have to be a professional driver.... more horses will not help your cause for a faster straight line acceleration... you should be looking for another car if so many things disappoint you! may be the ULTIMA GTR does better for your need... that would be a car for someone that is serious about performance!

Ultima has not 4 seats....I need them.I am waiting the RS6..

KK265
November 22nd, 2006, 07:00
Sorry to hear that .

That sure is a lot of oil , I agree with you KK265 that the car is heavy . I do not race other cars so I have no idea of straight line acceleration comparing with other cars , 3rd gear is very strong , I donīt like 6th , why have a gear that is only useful to economize fuel , more than half of it is out of the limiter . I think that oversteering with the Rs4 is very easy using the rear of the car to help in the exit of the corner (I did it only on a track) but drifting like a Porsche is another thing .
About delimiting the car I have enough like it is , just my point of view , and here , I think , the authorities want to execute those who drive over 150 Km/h . I have the impression that when sitting in the car you are breaking the law not to mention driving it .

Have you changed the oil filter ? How many Km do you have ? Mine seems that doesnīt like the hot weather , how much temp do your car mark ?

I like mine a lot , changing the catalists could give you some ponies but not to make a big difference , also a CF hood and ceramic brakes take off some weight from the front but not too much .

No i have not changed the oil filter.The manual says about 30000 km first oil change.I am in 9500.My usual oil temp is between 110-120 celcious degrees.I hit the v -max limiter very often and my continentals are near to change.

MR USER
November 22nd, 2006, 12:58
For the oil consumption... I konw about your problem very well. You have the right foot syndrome. Your desease is really bad, once you have it there is no cure, actually it only gets worst. Your car is braking in and for what I understand you are nailing it like I did with mine. In the first 10000 km mine required something like 7/8 liters of oil. Then the consumption went down a lot and the performances went up... now my car has about 18k and is much faster than it was at the beginnig. I has an iol and filter change at about 4-5 k.

So if you cannot refrain from keeping your right foot pinned on the accelerator than just be patient on the oil side it will get better!!!

OzRS4
November 23rd, 2006, 11:41
I hit the v -max limiter very often and my continentals are near to change.

May I ask do you hit the limiter very often on the street or track? Man, I can only dream of driving that fast like that on our streets in Australia!!!

When you do hit the limiter, what gear are you in and what's the engine rpm?:revs:

Cheers.

KK265
November 23rd, 2006, 16:26
May I ask do you hit the limiter very often on the street or track? Man, I can only dream of driving that fast like that on our streets in Australia!!!

When you do hit the limiter, what gear are you in and what's the engine rpm?:revs:

Cheers.
http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/7167/myrs4vmaxlimiterjpggb1.th.png (http://img353.imageshack.us/my.php?image=myrs4vmaxlimiterjpggb1.png)

On the street of course!In greece we have not such long tracks.You can hit the limiter on 5th gear near the red zone or the 6 th gear.On Saturday i will travel again and i will see exactly the rpm for telling you.This photo is by my mobile phone during a trip.I was 1 minute on this speed.So i thought is a good time for a photo!Every time i drive my car i can hit the limiter a lot of times during a trip.I have allready ordered new ECU from Quattro GmbH with increased v-max limiter (282km/h).You are welcome in Greece for fast driving!!!!Our streets are the longest tracks with variety of corners........

KK265
November 25th, 2006, 23:52
http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/7167/myrs4vmaxlimiterjpggb1.th.png (http://img353.imageshack.us/my.php?image=myrs4vmaxlimiterjpggb1.png)

On the street of course!In greece we have not such long tracks.You can hit the limiter on 5th gear near the red zone or the 6 th gear.On Saturday i will travel again and i will see exactly the rpm

Totally is on 6th gear 1-2 sec after the change of 5th gear (approximately 260 km/h).I had today a short race with a new boxter s.I was quicker but i could not leave away because of the limiter!I passed him 3-4 cars on 4th gear and more on 5 th.But once he passed me right lane (i had car in front of me) i cathced him later at 240-250 km/h and i could not pass him!I was on limiter about 1 minute!!!It was very disturbing to see at this speed the back of a boxter s.I was praying someone to be front of him to reduce the speed and pass him again.Happily so happened.

gazzab
December 3rd, 2006, 11:44
No i have not changed the oil filter.The manual says about 30000 km first oil change.I am in 9500.My usual oil temp is between 110-120 celcious degrees.I hit the v -max limiter very often and my continentals are near to change.

KK265, that seems a high oil temp, mine sits around high nineties, occasionally over 100 if going hard.

Gazzab

elias
December 3rd, 2006, 15:24
Totally is on 6th gear 1-2 sec after the change of 5th gear (approximately 260 km/h).I had today a short race with a new boxter s.I was quicker but i could not leave away because of the limiter!I passed him 3-4 cars on 4th gear and more on 5 th.But once he passed me right lane (i had car in front of me) i cathced him later at 240-250 km/h and i could not pass him!I was on limiter about 1 minute!!!It was very disturbing to see at this speed the back of a boxter s.I was praying someone to be front of him to reduce the speed and pass him again.Happily so happened.
i can understand you.I cant thing that a rs4 is behind me because of speed limit.My car has limit 6800revs but now i moved them in 7100 so i can see over 280km/h.Of course i need much time for this.
http://briefcase.pathfinder.gr/download/269747

KK265
December 3rd, 2006, 15:45
i can understand you.I cant thing that a rs4 is behind me because of speed limit.My car has limit 6800revs but now i moved them in 7100 so i can see over 280km/h.Of course i need much time for this.
http://briefcase.pathfinder.gr/download/269747

Your car never (simply reprogrammed as i think is your's) shows up 252 km/h on GPS.....So you will never pass an RS4 because of limiter which stops to 260 km/h on GPS....Stock S3 shows 275 km/h and the real speed is 245 km/h!!!!!
Check it!!!

CezarRS4
December 6th, 2006, 16:24
I have taken out the speed limiter and the real speed was 296 Km/h!!!!!!
It feels like 200 km/h
I don"t know where the 282 speed story comes from !!!! LOVE IT

KK265
December 6th, 2006, 16:46
I have taken out the speed limiter and the real speed was 296 Km/h!!!!!!
It feels like 200 km/h
I don"t know where the 282 speed story comes from !!!! LOVE IT

Where did you reprogramm it and how much did it cost?
P.S Photo or video please!!!!!

KK265
December 10th, 2006, 23:36
KK265, that seems a high oil temp, mine sits around high nineties, occasionally over 100 if going hard.

Gazzab

I saw that on cruising above 200km/h (very often accelerating 200-250 km/h and braking again and again) the oil temp is above 110 celsius degree.Factory RS4 demo car in Germany hit 114 Celsius degrees in 2 minutes on autobahn (250km/h) with outside temperature -11 celsious degrees.So i do not worry.

gazzab
December 11th, 2006, 13:46
OK, only get briefly to ~ 200K and that is on the race track here, I have at the most got up to around 105 degrees.

Gazzab

MR USER
December 11th, 2006, 16:28
I have see mine up to 129 c during summer and runnig it hard.
My average sits between 100 and 110 and for the type of oil I use is fine.
My racing mechanic told me up to 140 -150 should not be a problem... I would stop the car after 135... But the oil the RS4 uses can stand a lot of temperature.

gazzab
December 11th, 2006, 20:28
That is quite amazing, a warm down must then be important.

Gazzab

OzRS4
December 12th, 2006, 08:25
... I would stop the car after 135... But the oil the RS4 uses can stand a lot of temperature.

Can I ask what is the oil specification you have in your RS4? Thanks.

MR USER
December 13th, 2006, 19:46
I guess the standard one... 5w30

elias
December 15th, 2006, 21:42
Your car never (simply reprogrammed as i think is your's) shows up 252 km/h on GPS.....So you will never pass an RS4 because of limiter which stops to 260 km/h on GPS....Stock S3 shows 275 km/h and the real speed is 245 km/h!!!!!
Check it!!!
today with a friend and a garmin gps i tested my s3.
s3 speed 200 gps 193
s3 speed 260 gps 250
s3 speed 267-268 gps 256
i could get to 280 s3 speed to check gps because of a bus!!

KK265
December 16th, 2006, 15:17
today with a friend and a garmin gps i tested my s3.
s3 speed 200 gps 193
s3 speed 260 gps 250
s3 speed 267-268 gps 256
i could get to 280 s3 speed to check gps because of a bus!!

!!!what is the horsepower of your car ?What modifications ?What about the digital speedo?Did you check it?

elias
December 16th, 2006, 16:02
I'll send you with pm my mobile phone so to talk in greek!its easier for me!
My car modifies are here
http://forum.audisportsclub.gr/index.php?act=garage&CODE=12&CID=19