PDA

View Full Version : Altitude performance

wild-rs4-man
November 16th, 2006, 13:42
Hi all

has anyone ever driven the RS4 B7 at higher altitudes ( 1600 m above sea level)

my old s4 b6 performed like magic at sea level but was a bit of a donkey at higher altitudes

will the FSI help correct the altitude problem

Fuel used will be 95 RON

:rs4kiss:

MR USER
November 16th, 2006, 18:49
No problems at very high level (San Bernerd Pass 2472 m) the RS4 was a rocket around these bends!

Speedou
November 16th, 2006, 19:42
Hi all

has anyone ever driven the RS4 B7 at higher altitudes ( 1600 m above sea level)

my old s4 b6 performed like magic at sea level but was a bit of a donkey at higher altitudes

will the FSI help correct the altitude problem

Fuel used will be 95 RON

:rs4kiss:

The reason was Turbo(s) so there shouldn't be any porblem with the new RS4

Ruergard
November 16th, 2006, 20:24
The reason was Turbo(s) so there shouldn't be any porblem with the new RS4

The S4 B6 aint got any turbos. It's running the 4.2 ltr V8 @ 344 hp.
I havn't heard or read anything about a lack in performance on the B7 RS4 at higher altitudes.

:rs4addict

PetrolDave
November 17th, 2006, 14:37
Power is directly related to the mass of air that the engine injests.

With an NA engine this drops with altitude - period.

With a turbocharged engine, IF it's fitted with an absolute pressure measuring system then the turbo can spin harder at high altitude to maintain the mass of air - and hence power.

sarends
November 17th, 2006, 16:08
Yes, unfortunately all NA motors lose about 3.8% of their power for every 1,000 foot increase in elevation. I live at 6,000 ft in Colorado and I feel the pain. This is one reason why I would like to have a turbo based car someday like a 997 TT. I drive an E39 M5 up here and it is still an awesome car. I test drove two different RS4s at this altitude and the car felt awesome. However, I know my M5 and the RS4 would be even more awesome at lower altitudes!

Power is directly related to the mass of air that the engine injests.

With an NA engine this drops with altitude - period.

With a turbocharged engine, IF it's fitted with an absolute pressure measuring system then the turbo can spin harder at high altitude to maintain the mass of air - and hence power.