PDA

View Full Version : Paint and interior protection

OzRS4
November 16th, 2006, 09:52
Can I ask if anyone has done this to their new RS4 when delivered? Is it worth spending another $1200 AUD? Thanks.

QT

Audihead
November 16th, 2006, 16:28
You don't need interior protection, waste of money. If you are talking about having 3M Film put on the outside on the front, rocker panels, under door handles, leading edge of rear fenders, behind the rear wheels, and on the top of the rear bumper, go for it. It is worth every dime.

Leadfoot
November 16th, 2006, 17:08
Can I ask if anyone has done this to their new RS4 when delivered? Is it worth spending another $1200 AUD? Thanks.

QT

I'm not sure but it sounds like you are talking about Scotch Guard protection. If so that is a bit dear because over here Audi offer it for I think £250, I myself didn't take it as it's no different than Autoglm's system that you can do youself for £20. If you don't mind a bit of hard work do it yourself.

OzRS4
November 16th, 2006, 20:16
Thanks for your input.

The paint protection I am referring to is a "clear coat" sealant they apply to all the exterior paint work. This gives the car a "showroom" appearance that suppose to last several years and makes cleaning car much easier. That alone costs $750 AUD. It protects the paint from acid rain, bird droppings, air abrasion fron dust, etc. In Aust, they guarantee it for 6 years.

I am not that keen on interior as I am very fastidious with being neat and clean at all times anyway, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Leadfoot
November 16th, 2006, 22:39
Well then I was correct, it is similar to the Autoglm system. I reckon the one you are talking about is supplied to Audi by a German company called Wurth, ny uncle use to work for them and after using it myself I can tell you it's amazing. If you know anyone who does body repair they will be able to get you it at a faction of the price direct of Wurth.

Hope this helps.:thumb:

Webbah
November 17th, 2006, 17:16
I'll be getting Teflon treatment for mine once I receive it. A great place in Geneva, Switzerland is Tacot-Net. It's a bit pricey, at $1,100 CHF, but I've done it on my Porsche and it's simply amazing. Worth every cent, especially with a Black car!

OzRS4
November 17th, 2006, 21:54
Ok, you all have convinced me to do it. :applause:

I'll get my Phantom Black toy exterior paint treated when it gets to the dealer.

Thanks for all your feedback.

QT

NeVeTaS
November 19th, 2006, 12:10
dont bother, use a decent wax every couple of weeks

OzRS4
November 20th, 2006, 09:53
dont bother, use a decent wax every couple of weeks

Hi, here's I found when researching about paint protection:

the problems with wax, starting with its poor durability. There are so many reasons not to use wax that I wonder why it is still being sold at all. Here is a small selection of problems: <table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="plainBox">Wax melts on a hot day. Your bonnet is unprotected almost straight away for the same reason.
As the wax heats up, it breaks down and makes paint look very bad.
Wax does not adhere well to the surface of the car.
</td></tr></tbody></table>

plus I don't want to spend hours every few weeks doing it, I would rather be :incar: it. Do you mind tell me why you don't like sealant paint protection? Thanks.

NeVeTaS
November 20th, 2006, 10:27
Because I'm really into detailing. If you don't want wax that melts, use Blackfire Paint Protection.

I have had 2 coats of superguard put on my car as a base, after 3 weeks daily use you could feel it coming off, water wasn't beading properly etc.

I would not pay more than &#163;100 for a full superguard, anymore is a rip. You can buy the stuff of ebay for &#163;20 and do it yourself.

Get yourself over to http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/ and ask the pro's whats best for your car/colour.

OzRS4
November 20th, 2006, 10:39
Thanks for that NeveTas. I guess there more reading for me before I decide.

Cheers.