PDA

View Full Version : Eco RS6

James Wyatt
November 13th, 2006, 21:38
Anyone thought about bio ethanol and what modifications would the RS6 need?

Just watched programme with lotus exige running on bio ethanol and it was very impressive (5th gear in the UK) improved performance without any upgrades apart from ecu reprogramming.

Thanks

James

Benman
November 14th, 2006, 15:32
I'm not sure it would be feasible. Ethanol is much harder on engines than gas and the "Flex Fuel" cars that GM use have special blocks for that purpose. Long term effects on a "regular" engine would not be good...

Not to mention that ethanol contains less energy per gallon than petrol (not sure how the exige pulled off better performance???:vhmmm: ) so would equal more stops for fuel (worse fuel economy) and higher gas prices (at least in the US, ethanol is more expensive than petrol). :cheers:

Ben:addict:

RolexNJ
November 14th, 2006, 21:21
Anyone thought about bio ethanol and what modifications would the RS6 need?

Just watched programme with lotus exige running on bio ethanol and it was very impressive (5th gear in the UK) improved performance without any upgrades apart from ecu reprogramming.

Thanks

James

Hi James. I'm new to this board, but not new to racing or turbo cars at all. I have a few different cars myself, and am now looking into buying an RS6 within a year or so, hence, I just joined here.

Anyway, I am not sure about in the UK, but, a big octane booster (like rocket fuel), and is readily avaliable here in the States which is called xylene. Have you heard of it? At the very bottom, I will provide you with a link from Rennlist.com, which I'm a very active member of this Porsche community. It's not that long of a thread, and has very good info. Most of Porsche, Porsche Turbo Racing, and Porsche 944 Turbo guys, who know what they are doing, use this as a blend to raise octane ratings. If you have more questions, I can help. I have tons, and tons of info to validate that it's an excellent booster for octane. Due to people not being educated on it, they have reservations which I can fully understand. Check this out and let me know.

Cheers,

Rolex

:s3addict:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=265343&highlight=xylene