PDA

View Full Version : Video: RS6 vs. BMW M5 E39

Erik
November 9th, 2006, 21:38
Old video I just "refound." Those were they days when the RS6 was brand new. :addict:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7063863914468955872&q=m5+vs+rs6

:harass: M5

This one is not so bad either. Tuned RS4 vs. M3

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4600696432348942718&q=rs4+m3 Nice sound... :D

trex
November 10th, 2006, 03:39
ooh the good old days :incar:

Leadfoot
November 10th, 2006, 10:39
I forgot about those vidoes. It's interesting that a RS6 can blow an old M5, but in a recent BMWM6.COM video a new RS4 can't,:brag: very unusual. Me thinks the RS4 was up against a higher tuned M5 then was we were lead to believe.

Erik
November 10th, 2006, 11:20
The M5 is the m5board video is tuned to about 420-430 hp.

Toto89
November 10th, 2006, 15:10
I forgot about those vidoes. It's interesting that a RS6 can blow an old M5, but in a recent BMWM6.COM video a new RS4 can't,:brag: very unusual. Me thinks the RS4 was up against a higher tuned M5 then was we were lead to believe.

I think this is because the test was made by M6board.com...The man in the RS4 simply didn't do it's best IMO.It is absolutely unbelievable what we can see on that video.Maybe this would be the case with an E60 M5 but with an old one???I can't believe it.An RS4 V8 would destroy an old M5 very quickly.Just look at their engines:Audi has 20 hp more with less weight and Quattro system.No question who will be the winner.

Leadfoot
November 10th, 2006, 16:23
The M5 is the m5board video is tuned to about 420-430 hp.

This maybe unbelieveable to some but in my humble S4 v8, I have stayed a long side an M5 (last model) I won't quote speeds but it was quite high. I must admit that since my car passed the 25K mark the car is a hell of a lot quicker, to the point one would think it was chipped.

Maybe the RS4 hadn't done many miles and wasn't on peak form.

Erik
November 10th, 2006, 16:37
Maybe the RS4 hadn't done many miles and wasn't on peak form.

Remember that it was a rolling start in that case, which is better for the M5.

In the video above it's a standing start.

Radiation Joe
November 10th, 2006, 16:58
What world do you people live in? :rs6kiss:

Of course the RS6 outran the M5 in 30F-40F temperatures. The god-awful heat the engine generates was being disapated. Compare the two cars in normal temps and see what happens.

This board seems to believe the RS6 is some vehicle sent to earth by the almighty himself. :bow: Get over it.

The RS6 is a very nicely refined version of the C5 chassis. The C5 chassis is pretty mediocre on a good day. Just because it has a monster (on a cold day) motor, doesn't make it king of hill (except in the cheerleaders' minds).

Thank god I don't follow the RS4 and S4 boards. If I read another ignorant post about how much better of a performance car those cars are than an M3 I'll consider Seppuku. I'm sure that would please a number of people. :argue:

Leadfoot
November 10th, 2006, 21:20

Of course the RS6 outran the M5 in 30F-40F temperatures. The god-awful heat the engine generates was being disapated. Compare the two cars in normal temps and see what happens.

This board seems to believe the RS6 is some vehicle sent to earth by the almighty himself. :bow: Get over it.

The RS6 is a very nicely refined version of the C5 chassis. The C5 chassis is pretty mediocre on a good day. Just because it has a monster (on a cold day) motor, doesn't make it king of hill (except in the cheerleaders' minds).

Thank god I don't follow the RS4 and S4 boards. If I read another ignorant post about how much better of a performance car those cars are than an M3 I'll consider Seppuku. I'm sure that would please a number of people. :argue:

Sorry to hear you feel this way.

Hell I'm just interested in what makes you tick, after all this is a web-site all about performance Audis and the discussions normally centre around what's new models are coming out, what we think of your rides and of other brands. I'm sorry if rating the RS/S4 or other Audis better than their rivals bores you, me I find it interesting to hear other people's opinions.

So what would you like to discuss? Global warming? Maybe the O-zone? Or why the indicators on a RS6 sound the exact same even after 3 years of use?:vhmmm:

Radiation Joe
November 10th, 2006, 22:00
So what would you like to discuss? Global warming? Maybe the O-zone? Or why the indicators on a RS6 sound the exact same even after 3 years of use?:vhmmm:

I don't mind talking about how great the RS6 or the RS4 are. I think they are great cars. Let's talk about how to get the transmission in my RS6 to shift a little faster instead of some inane conversation about drag racing an M5. I haven't read one good review of the Ohlins shock set-up in this forum, but I've read plenty more than I'd like of which deep dish wheel looks best. puke:

What I don't want to talk about is whether or not the BMW is a better or worse car than the RS6. Which is better: black or white?

For an everyday driver, I like the A8 better than the RS6 or the M5. For a track car I like the M3 better than the RS4 and the Elise better than either of them. For when I can only have one car for everything in Minnesota, my current choice is the RS6. But I won't say the RS6 is a better car than an M5; it just fits my needs better at the moment.

If I wanted to read about the best car for drag racing M5s, I'd be on a Viper forum.

iconcls
November 10th, 2006, 23:34

You are quite tiresome and your BMW zealotry rivals any Audi enthusiast here.

YOUR Cheerleading Drivel (http://forums.audiworld.com/rs6/msgs/30999.phtml)

Leadfoot
November 11th, 2006, 09:28
If I wanted to read about the best car for drag racing M5s, I'd be on a Viper forum.

Now you are really talking about a crap car.:hihi:

No I understand where you are coming from, most forum disscuss problems and how it fix them. But I am more into the experience of driving the cars and as you can tell I have strong views on all cars, including Audis. Lets just say we are different and leave it at that.:thumb:

Clio16V
November 17th, 2006, 20:32
The guy driving the M5 respons wrong/late (so it seems) and hits in almost every gear the rev limiter, and that is bad for a good acceleration

Gustav
December 15th, 2006, 22:16
:0:

Leadfoot
December 16th, 2006, 14:00
Gustav,

I understand why you would agree with Radiation Joe's statement, but as someone who has raced an E39 M5 and M3s and I don't see them as these amazingly fast machines. Sure they are quick but not RS4 quick or for that matter E60 M5 P400 quick, Best Motoring tested the RS4 and M6 and the results were very interesting to say the least, not the huge gap that has been posted on M6Board.com.

I would agree that the cold air help the RS6 win by a greater margin than at normal temps, but the RS6 would still win. Reason is that there is not substitute for torque, something the Audi has a lot more of than the Beemer and over a greater rev range.

Speedou
December 16th, 2006, 15:34
I do believe the tests M6board and other boards make. But there always so many things that makes the difference. If I remember right on the M5 vs. RS4 video neither was standard? Normally it feels like both driver gives what they can, but like Eriks video of RS6 vs M5 nobody before Clio16V said anything about terrible gear changes of the M5 driver..on this RS6 forum ;) You know what I mean.

There are many RS4 owner who have said that RS4 is all the time faster and faster. So there comes the first big point. Then the old M5 really can be faster on higher speeds. There really isn't any reason why not. 20hp...nothing in those speeds, when so many other thing are more important. Like aerodynamic and rwd vs 4wd.

About the RS6, never seen the tests says it really is FASTER. Always about the same. Same are in the videos. Variable by cars and weather etc...

This shows that well, of course not the same time, but anyway: http://www.track-challenge.com/comparison1d_e.asp?Car1=53&Car2=3

Leadfoot
December 16th, 2006, 19:00
After checking that web site you showed I see that a RS6 was still faster than the M5 even when to RS6 was tested in weather conditions +20C more than the M5. Anyone who drives a turbo car will know they perform better in cold air and the same applies to N/A cars but to a lesser degree, the M5 was tested in the best conditions to achieve it's best results where as the RS6 was tested in the worst conditions.

This is the great thing about Audi S/RS models, not only do they perform better when to weather gets cold and slippery, but their awd system is there to take advantage of the fact.:hihi:

Speedou
December 17th, 2006, 14:19
After checking that web site you showed I see that a RS6 was still faster than the M5 even when to RS6 was tested in weather conditions +20C more than the M5. Anyone who drives a turbo car will know they perform better in cold air and the same applies to N/A cars but to a lesser degree, the M5 was tested in the best conditions to achieve it's best results where as the RS6 was tested in the worst conditions.

This is the great thing about Audi S/RS models, not only do they perform better when to weather gets cold and slippery, but their awd system is there to take advantage of the fact.:hihi:

True, but great is also the worst? In race you will tell your opponent "lets take again when it's colder?" :doh:

El_cucaracha
December 17th, 2006, 16:17
AUDI IS THE BEST :dig:

Audiphile
December 25th, 2006, 02:54
El cucaracha :dig: