PDA

View Full Version : USA R8 update....

RXBG
November 8th, 2006, 18:01
1. approx. 200 vehicles allocated for 2007. about 500 for 2008. these figures are for the V8 model only.

2. car will not come fully equipped. there will be a few separate options that can be ordered. not sure which ones.

3. audi is basing its allocation on two main things-

number of documented people (names and phone numbers) interested in a car (smart way of getting accurate numbers since many people are on various dealer lists and have given multiple deposits)

past sales performance of RS cars, particularly the RS4. some smaller dealers in high demand markets have sold as many, if not more, RS4s than champion!

because of (3) the final allocation could vary. audi wants to sell as many cars as it can but have none sitting on a lot.

audi is not interested in how much money a particular person has given for a deposit... they know these can be returned and therefore do not have much validity.

Erik
November 8th, 2006, 19:24
"past sales performance of RS cars"

Was the RS4 ever sold in the US? :nana:

RXBG
November 8th, 2006, 19:58
i'm referring to the new one. :rs4kiss:

November 8th, 2006, 22:55
200 cars? Horrible, that isn't enough to satisfy Orange County let alone the country.

chewym
November 9th, 2006, 04:31
200 is very, very very low. Much less than Gallardos. Hoping Audi will sell more than that.

BBGT2
November 9th, 2006, 05:02
A little voice told me that Audi is bringing closer to 1000 R8 alloted for the USA alone for 2007. Could be wrong, but 200 units is just sadly too low if they only bring that many.

RXBG
November 9th, 2006, 16:16
the numbers are from aoa. nonetheless i fancy that more could come. but i doubt as many as 1000. personally i would hope that 400 might make it in 2007 so that availability is at least decent..... the company is out to make money after all......

nene
November 9th, 2006, 16:39
200 maybe a good number, if the R8 only becomes available in October of 2007. If the plan is to get them started out the door by June (July the latest much like the RS6), than 200 is a very small number.

Maybe they are playing the exclusivity card here to get some excitement going, and then proceeding to flood the market a bit. Who knows. Justing bring it on, and don't screw us on the options.

RXBG
November 9th, 2006, 19:26
i'll keep all of you posted.

RXBG
November 20th, 2006, 22:53
rumors that the cars may get to the US as early as april!

servicing them may not be as much of a problem as buying them. sorry cannot elaborate more at this time.

some dealers have been confirmed that they will carry the car. others are still being evaluated...... no final tabulations yet.

tsunami racer
November 22nd, 2006, 01:20
most US dealers (and audi of america, for that matter) can barely service RS4's. let alone R8's.

good luck to anyone who buys a R8, and pray nothing goes wrong with it!!

RXBG
December 1st, 2006, 15:27
want to know if your dealer will get an R8 or two or seven?

a good predictor is how many RS4s they sold. if it was more than 10-12 then that would ve very good........:jlol:

RXBG
January 2nd, 2007, 19:10
(data gathered and cross referenced from some credible sources on this site and others elsewhere that i happen to know)

1. various dealers will be meeting with audi in the next 3-4 weeks to get a final answer on their applications to sell the car.

2. the meeting will also introduce the lucky dealers to the planned ordering timeline and the process itself.

3. final options and standard equipment on the car are not finalized for the US market yet, but it is expected that the first batch will be optioned out quite fully....similar to the first RS4s.

4. some dealer training and product intro will take place in february.

5. officially, cars will arrive in sept but they may actually trickle in before that.

6. european delivery will most likely be available for the first batch, but this doesn't mean that those costumers will get their cars any sooner.

7. no official pricing yet.

8. about 200 cars are expected for the CY in the US.

anything else and i'll let you guys now.

chewym
January 2nd, 2007, 22:50
Here is some nice information. Looks like a dealer will need to contribute 100,000 to sell the R8.

http://www.autospies.com/news/Audi-R8-Dealers-Requirements-To-Sell-R8-100k-11221/

RXBG
January 10th, 2007, 21:27
just found out that the closing on a big business investment we are working on has been moved to sept of 2007.... just in time for a so-called car delivery that is not so cheap either. :eek:

with good planning it shouldn't be a problem. but this may mean no fancy summer vacation like i had expected. we'll see.

yikes.

RXBG
January 17th, 2007, 08:15
this just in:

1. feb 18, 20, 22
2. cost $500
3. by invite only, potential customers will be invited to attend a vegas track event where they will be able to drive the car for one day with professional driver introduction. attendance will be limited to 150.

that number sounds interesting, doesn't it?

further.... final list of US dealers who will sell at least one car this CY will be out during the first week of february. jan 31 is the deadline for US dealers to apply to be official R8 service and/or sales approved centers.

i am not sure what this means for the other markets, particularly EU, hopefully one of our counterparts on the "other side" can report if any such events are planned there. i could not get any information. this does highlight the importance audi is giving this car in the US market.

Choleric
January 17th, 2007, 09:17
These are from vegas..

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/Kiwa25/vegas%20adult/P1130503.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/Kiwa25/vegas%20adult/P1130502.jpg

RXBG
January 19th, 2007, 17:24
October

• Sneak Preview at Audi Forum Grand Opening events in New York City, with drive down Park Avenue with Mr. Ralph Weyler, Board Member AUDI AG, and Mayor Michael Bloomberg, alongside the 1939 Auto Union Type C racer and the R10 TDI
November

• Build early interest through pre-launch information on the Audi brand web site, with a link to the global R8 microsite
• National Auto Show Debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show
• Feature the R8 in our full-line brochure
• Distribute the R8 pre-launch teaser brochure
• Launch the R8 Inside Line prospect marketing campaign
December

• Include the R8 as a feature story in the Audi Owner Magazine (approximately 350,000 subscriptions)
• Feature the R8 in monthly owner and prospect eNewsletters
• Feature the R8 at Design Miami/06
• Build early demand for the new R8 through a U.S. specific online microsite
January

• Feature the R8 at the Detroit and Chicago Auto shows
• First deadline for Dealer Registration in R8 program
February

• The R8 order guide and order binder inserts will be made available to program dealerships
• Training communications for sales, product, and service sent to dealerships
• Begin web-based sales training
March

• Feature the R8 at the Elton John Oscars Viewing event in Los Angeles
• Conduct R8 VIP test drives at the Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance in Florida
• Feature the R8 at the ALMS race in Sebring
April

• Feature the R8 as the cover story in the Audi Owner Magazine (approximately 350,000 subscriptions)
• Begin Audi Driving Experience Spring/Summer tour, featuring full-line of Audi vehicles as well as the R8 for VIP test drives
May

• Distribute full-photo R8 launch brochures to program dealers
June

• Post full product information, including pricing and detailed specifications, on the Audi brand web site for consumers, and continue to use the R8 as a halo for the entire Audi brand
• Service technical training self-study programs available
September

• Launch the R8 television and print advertising campaign
• Hold high-profile premier events for VIPs and celebrities to test drive the R8 in key cities

chewym
January 19th, 2007, 23:22
I like what Audi is doing with the R8. They will actually market the car. Nice. I also like the new "bolder" Audi and increased marketing that will start with the new TT.

June

• Post full product information, including pricing and detailed specifications, on the Audi brand web site for consumers, and continue to use the R8 as a halo for the entire Audi brand
• Service technical training self-study programs available
September

• Launch the R8 television and print advertising campaign
• Hold high-profile premier events for VIPs and celebrities to test drive the R8 in key cities

So no official pricing until June. I do like that Audi is doing TV and print ads for the R8. The other special events are also nice.

It looks like Audi is getting it right with the R8.

RXBG
February 1st, 2007, 16:02
rumor says order guides go to dealers late this month. no orders taken. just the order guides. at least we should know what options will be available. prices will not be published.

most dealers will get 2-3 cars. will be between 20-50 dealers in the end! there has been much interest. a few will get 6-8 cars. all this for 2007 CY.

RXBG
February 12th, 2007, 19:46
1. convenience package
2. CF engine trim
3. CF side blade
4. full leather interior (dash, doors)
5. CF monoposto
6. nav system

STD:

engine LED
19 rims

up in the air:

LED lights
CC brakes

chewym
February 13th, 2007, 01:39
I think that Audi shold make Navigation standard here. Or make it a free option for those who want to save wait. It would be funny for a 100,000 car to have optional navigation when cars much cheaper will have it stadard pretty soon.

LED head lights are one of the coolest parts of the R8 IMO and shold definitely be an option.

SoCal
February 13th, 2007, 06:47
I think that Audi shold make Navigation standard here. Or make it a free option for those who want to save wait. It would be funny for a 100,000 car to have optional navigation when cars much cheaper will have it stadard pretty soon.

LED head lights are one of the coolest parts of the R8 IMO and shold definitely be an option.

I agree. I've also heard that the nav option will probably include the reverse camera, as in the sedans. I don't know whether that's true. :vhmmm: LED lights a must have, so I hope they are available here from the outset.

February 13th, 2007, 07:31
What is the convenience package? Is that like the mercedes keyless go?

RXBG
February 13th, 2007, 15:55
What is the convenience package? Is that like the mercedes keyless go?

i think it may or may not include the nav system, homelink, park assist (with camera), and ipod adapter.

of course, the one option i forgot was the r-tronic :rolleyes:

RXBG
February 20th, 2007, 18:15
order guides delayed. AOA waiting for final pricing on the car/options before releasing them. they were due out by now.

orders to be put in in the next few weeks. (keeping my fingers crossed)

no orders have been taken yet in the US.

Damienr8
February 20th, 2007, 19:22
order guides delayed. AOA waiting for final pricing on the car/options before releasing them. they were due out by now.

orders to be put in in the next few weeks. (keeping my fingers crossed)

no orders have been taken yet in the US.

Get those guides out! R8 order are going to be eaten up! :jlol:

RXBG
February 27th, 2007, 19:16
AOA is phasing out the "dedicated" R8 support line. now the general operator answers your questions and they are even more vague than they had been with the R8 "team".

they must have been overwhelmed and got pooped out. now just about any questions you ask is answered "more information will be out in september"...

they deserve a b***h slap :doh:

for thinking we are so stupid.

RXBG
February 27th, 2007, 21:21
official USA options:

STD- 19 inch rims, magnetic ride, bixenons, heated seats, leather/alcantara seats, aluminum interior trim, engine LEDs, satellite radio

convenience package- rearview camera, CD changer, hill assist, BT, homelink

stand alone options- nav system, exterior paint/blade combos (various) apart from standard ones TBA, carbon engine trim, carbon interior trim, BO sound system, full leather dash and seats and doors, alcantara headliner, R-tronic

that is all

orders will be taken sometime after march 1st.

February 28th, 2007, 05:52
Seems that the USA gets some nice standard options. 19's and magnetic ride sound very nice along with the engine LED and sat radio.

Now I am really curious as to what that base is going to be.

RXBG
March 21st, 2007, 21:52
Important Order Guide and Pricing Information
* The AIM system has been activated, and you may start placing and ranking your R8 orders.
* The R8 order guide published today is titled "Market Introduction Order Guide" and is for the first seven (7) weeks of production ONLY. No special orders can be accepted at this time.
* In late April, the order guide for subsequent weeks will be published.
* As always, please review the order guide posted on the AIM system for the most up-to-date version.
* In addition, we will provide pricing information late-March/early-April.

RXBG
March 26th, 2007, 16:44
initial order guide is for certified dealers to order their demo cars. customers could order one of these with the understanding that they cannot take delivery of the car until it has been used in the showroom for 4-6 months. for this reason customers are being told (or should be) that they should order one of the subsequent cars via the follow up order guide in about 6 weeks from the date of this post (more likely before).

USA cars ordered thus are expected to be delivered (with a bit of luck) by end of july 2007.

RXBG
March 28th, 2007, 20:26
PRICES:

6 speed 109,000

R Tronic 118,000

Convenienc pkg 3,500 (parking sensors and camera 6 cd changer, hill hold assist, homelink, bluetooth, auto dimming mirrors, storage pkg

Nav plus 2,000

Leather elements 2,000 Leather seats door inserts and door handle

Enhanced leather pkg 5,500 Leather pkg plus black leather elements e.g. dashboard, cowl above instrument cluster or monoposto

Carbon Sigma side blade 2,000

Bang Olufsen sound system 1,800

Metallic and pearl paint 650

Destination TBD

India Whiskey Charlie
March 29th, 2007, 00:35
Audi Announces 2008 R8 Pricing

MAR 28, 2007 | Source: AoA |

Audi of America, LLC announced today pricing for the all-new 2008 R8 sports car. The R8 with a six-speed manual transmission will have a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $109,000 when it launches this fall in the United States. Models equipped with the six-speed R tronic automatic gearbox will start at $118,000.

The R8 is the first mid-engine sports car Audi has ever produced. With a 420 hp V8 4.2L FSI engine and rear-biased quattro® all-wheel drive system, the R8 has the performance capabilities unlike any Audi before it. With a zero to 60 mph time of 4.4 seconds and a top speed of 187 mph, the R8 is the fastest Audi ever produced. The lightweight aluminum frame and body and 44:56 front-to-rear weight distribution give the R8 tremendous handling capabilities, with the balance expected of a mid-engine sports car.

Standard luxury features include Audi magnetic ride, automatic bi-xenon headlights with LED daytime running lights, LED taillights and LED engine compartment lighting. 19-inch alloy wheels, automatic climate control, power and heated leather/Alcantara sport seats, cruise control, Sirius® satellite radio, and nine-speaker audio system. An optional Convenience Package includes Audi parking system advanced with rearview camera, Audi hill hold assist, a six-disc CD changer, HomeLink®, Bluetooth® phone prep, auto dimming exterior mirrors, and a storage package.

Stand alone options on the R8 include a 12-speaker, 465-watt Bang & Olufsen® sound system, Alcantara headliner, Audi navigation plus, an upgraded Leather Package, and Enhanced Leather Package which includes a leather covered dash and interior trim pieces, metallic/pearl effect paint, carbon fiber sideblades, body color sideblades, and the previously mentioned R tronic automatic gearbox. These options allow R8 owners to personalize their sports car to make it an even more exclusive vehicle than it is right from the hand-assembly plant in Neckarsulm, Germany.

Audi's history in America dates to 1969, when the brand was first introduced to the U.S. market. Today, a network of more than 260 Audi dealers currently offers a line of premium vehicles that include the Audi A3 compact; the sporty A4 sedan, Avant and Cabriolet models; the high performance S4 sedan, Avant and Cabriolet models; the high-revving RS 4 sports sedan; the design-leading A6 sedan and Avant; the all-new Audi Q7 performance SUV; and the all-aluminum Audi A8; and the new V10-powered S6 and S8 performance sedans.

Benman
March 30th, 2007, 18:17
Well, $138K (loaded) is very expensive for an Audi, but dirt cheap for a Lambo!:cheers:

Ben:addict:

Leadfoot
April 1st, 2007, 15:38
Every decent car company can sale at least one model well above their normal price range if the car is totally different and amazingly good.

The R8 is that car.

But has anyone wondered what price the V10 and the V12TDi will command? In the UK the R8v8 starts at just short of £80K, can they get nearly £95K for a R8v10 and possibly £105 for the v12TDi I am not so sure.

There is no doubt the car is easily good enough to command even higher if it had a Ferrari or Lamborghini badge on it's nose.

RXBG
April 1st, 2007, 15:59
from one source the V10 will command an amount "as much as most basic family cars cost" so i figure about 15-20K USD over the R8.

with porsche owing more and more of audi i doubt we'll EVER see a more powerful version of the R8 than the V10. :(

where i do see the V12 TDI is in the D4 A8 line, maybe the next S8.

RXBG
April 18th, 2007, 20:12
full 10 page dealer brochures are at the dealers now. no word yet on the updated options for customer orders and such. thanks to one of our posters from TX.... alex "le francais"

RXBG
April 26th, 2007, 04:10
am i alone here? yikes. anyway....... another update.

1. alcantara headliner
2. iPod adapter
3. LED lights

will potentially become available for order in october 2007 (6 months)

Benman
April 27th, 2007, 17:01
am i alone here? yikes...

I'm here. :D

Maybe you're the only one with an R8 still on order?!?:confused:

Leadfoot
April 29th, 2007, 13:43
I'm here. :D

Maybe you're the only one with an R8 still on order?!?:confused:

I think North America's supply runs to more than one car so RXGB I don't think you are alone, just none of the other lucky people getting one are on this site.;)

RXBG
April 30th, 2007, 03:52
lonely at the top... :p

SoCal
May 1st, 2007, 07:32
I'm on the list, too, and appreciate all the updates you've been posting. Drove the R8 at Audi's Las Vegas event a few months ago and it is indeed a stunning car.

Patience, patience.

RXBG
May 8th, 2007, 15:31
USA allocation for 2007 has been increased to 300 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Benman
May 8th, 2007, 16:24
USA allocation for 2007 has been increased to 300 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is still extremely rare numbers. In fact, that is Z8 numbers! Exclusitivity is guaranteed. At least, the first year. ;)

chewym
May 9th, 2007, 03:34
300 is low, but that is only for 3 month. Not sure about how many total will be sold in the entire 2008 calendar year. But only 4-5,000 total will be made each year, so that will limit sales.

RXBG
June 26th, 2007, 23:59
heard from dealer that the monoposto CF trim may not be offered at all due to poor reproducibility of quality control. it seems it is hard to fabricate and the supplier recs using the available Cf for the handles, blade, and engine. maybe in the future....

also, various reports of dealers expecting their first deliveries in the US early august. as i suspected many months ago. including three dealers in FL....

finally, AOA slackened the requirement to have a showroom R8. not re'd any longer for full service dealers.

RXBG
June 29th, 2007, 21:22
alcantara headliner costs 2000 USD!

c'mon audi. a bit greedy eh?

Damienr8
June 29th, 2007, 21:28
alcantara headliner costs 2000 USD!

c'mon audi. a bit greedy eh?

Let me make sure i read that right. ALcantara HEADLINER costs $2k......Thats frikken INSANE.:bigeyes:

RXBG
June 29th, 2007, 21:54
yessssir brother. straight from audi's R8 inside line over the telephone.

Damienr8
June 29th, 2007, 22:22
yessssir brother. straight from audi's R8 inside line over the telephone.

That's pretty expensive. Hey RXBG are you going to wait for the V10 or shell out for the V8? If you choose the latter, what options? It seems that a well 'equipped' R8 is quite costly.

RXBG
June 30th, 2007, 21:53
V8 all the way. B&O, nav, conv pack, maybe the level 1 leather pack.

looks like silver/apollo, with black interior.

KiwiRS4
July 2nd, 2007, 02:29
Mine is due here in the last week of November for first week of December delivery. but thats here in New Zealand if that still counts.

Ned:R8kiss:

RXBG
July 11th, 2007, 18:54
first usa delivery i know of is audgust 1st. to milltek motorsports. looks like this time audi equated USA with the UK ( i know a few people have theirs in deutschland.)

SoCal
July 13th, 2007, 08:18
Let me make sure i read that right. ALcantara HEADLINER costs $2k......Thats frikken INSANE.:bigeyes:

Per Audi of America R8 order guide, Alcantara Headliner in black (option code 6NN) retails at $1300. Which is still expensive but 35% less insane than $2k. For what that's worth.:deal: :vhmmm:

RXBG
July 13th, 2007, 14:40
i was going to post this. someone on AW discoverethis yesterday. thanks for the update. i won;t be calling that supposed R8 info line anymore.

if you could post the actual order guide it would be great.

Benman
July 17th, 2007, 16:07
$1300.00 is still $1300.00 too much when it came "free" on the RS 6...

RXBG
July 17th, 2007, 19:14
2nd on that ben. the R8 is audi's first foray into the world of high rollin money grabbing. and its being very aggressive about it too.

can't blame them for it, but the R8's option pricelist is steep. it's the only audi with such a one. my S4 has interior CF trim that cost 500 bucks and full nappa with nappa on the doors standard. from what i hear they'll charge about 2K for the CF interior in the R8 and about 3K for the nappa interior.

leaves a bittersweet taste in my mouth.

Benman
July 17th, 2007, 20:32
You know,

After I posted that, I started thinking more about it. It is supposed to compete more with the likes of Porsche... and we all know how much Porsche takes advantage of their customers on pricing of options. So, I guess it isn't that bad afterall, but as you say, still "bittersweet". :cheers: