View Full Version : 911 or an Audi?

Erik
November 6th, 2006, 10:38
Looks good ;)

http://www.autozeitung.de/index.php?page=stimmungsbarometer&action=ergebnisse

Ruergard
November 6th, 2006, 10:54
Yeah! :D

Over a carrera I'll take the R8 every day in the week.. but against a Turbo or a GT3, RS nah... thats a different story! :alig:

Erik
November 6th, 2006, 11:10
But Audi can make turbo, GT and RS versions as well ;)

gabbby
November 6th, 2006, 12:03
Objectivly, the R8 is a modern car, with an perfect setup and a more advanced design. The 911 had an incredible image : a 911 still a high end car, but for the peoples that loves technology, advanced design and quality, the R8 is better.

R8 is a perfect car : the next version with 500-600 hp will be really faster, and will fight against 911 turbo. Perhaps, and I hope, Audi will build an RS8... The only thing that is not so good is the engine. But with a V10 bi turbo, lets say it will be a killing car...

Gaby

krm
November 6th, 2006, 16:00
R8 RS would be an amazing car if it comes into reality.

It would be interesting to see how Porsche will react to this undoubtedly successful R8. As they will have to implant some V8 into their successful Carrera model just to be up to par in power.

Leadfoot
November 6th, 2006, 16:57
Lets see a bit of technology sharing between Audi and Porsche. Audi has already helped develop the DSG gearbox for the new Porsches due latter this year and Porsche can provide the turbo technology from the new 997 Turbo to power the future RS models.:thumb:

And then Audi stab them in the back and produce a RS version of the R8 and totally destroy the 997 Turbo.:hihi:

quattro Gmbh
November 6th, 2006, 21:13
5 r8's have been sold in the first 2 days of istanbul autoshow with a price tag of 220k euro. not bad.

quattro Gmbh
November 6th, 2006, 21:21
Lets see a bit of technology sharing between Audi and Porsche. Audi has already helped develop the DSG gearbox for the new Porsches due latter this year and Porsche can provide the turbo technology from the new 997 Turbo to power the future RS models.:thumb:

thanks to borgwarner inc.:hihi:

AndyBG
November 17th, 2006, 15:34
Audi is great, But I LOVE PORSCHE !

Fab
November 17th, 2006, 15:59
me too :cheers:

November 17th, 2006, 21:23
Objectivly, the R8 is a modern car, with an perfect setup and a more advanced design. The 911 had an incredible image : a 911 still a high end car, but for the peoples that loves technology, advanced design and quality, the R8 is better.

R8 is a perfect car : the next version with 500-600 hp will be really faster, and will fight against 911 turbo. Perhaps, and I hope, Audi will build an RS8... The only thing that is not so good is the engine. But with a V10 bi turbo, lets say it will be a killing car...

Gaby
EXACTLY!

They need to put the v10 bi-turbo in this car. They will have the 911 turbo outgunned in pretty much every area. The R8 would become a legendary sports car with that type of powerplant. The supercar label might even be accurate at that point.

chiphead
November 20th, 2006, 22:01
R8 RS would be an amazing car if it comes into reality.

It would be interesting to see how Porsche will react to this undoubtedly successful R8. As they will have to implant some V8 into their successful Carrera model just to be up to par in power.

I for one am glad Porsche hasn't gone after V8+ technology. They are into high power to weight ratio, not so much bench racing.

Marcus Frost
December 13th, 2006, 20:30
EXACTLY!

They need to put the v10 bi-turbo in this car. They will have the 911 turbo outgunned in pretty much every area. The R8 would become a legendary sports car with that type of powerplant. The supercar label might even be accurate at that point.

It is pretty clear that Audi does not want to step on the toes of Lamborghini, so I would find it very surprising to see the R8 eclipse the Gallardo in terms of engine or horsepower.

I am still on the fence with the R8. The looks, both inside and out, are incredible. However, there has been no confirmation of the R10 for the USA yet and I don't know how much I can like a $120k car with (for all intents and purposes) the same engine as a $70k sedan, even if it handles much better and looks like the R8 does. I personally would want an engine in my supercar that doesn't have less horsepower than a Mercedes minivan (RL63 AMG).

That, again, is just my opinion.

-m

RXBG
December 13th, 2006, 21:43
how about a supercar that can perform as well as another car with 75 more horse, costing 50% more, and being less livable on a daily basis.... even if it does have a smaller power number than a minivan?

:)

Charles DLF
December 14th, 2006, 15:13
I find very interesting that everyone is making a choice, and that no one has yet driven an R8... I love the R8, it looks amazing, it's rather "cheap", it's got great performance figures, etc... But i would want to drive one before saying which one i would actually choose... How's the R tronic, how does it act on track???.. Still many questions need to be answered. I am a big audi nut, but nevertheless, i would wait for a bunch of reviews before making a call...

And we must all admit that the 911 is a great car overall, the finish is great, the legend is part of the car, and although the standard 911 doesn't have mountains of power, it's an awsome track car, an easy to use everyday car, and i think it looks great, although however, since we've all seen at least pictures of the R8, the Audi looks 1000000 times better!!!!!

For now, i'll keep my money, and decide when people start driving the allmighty AUDI! :D

Leadfoot
December 14th, 2006, 16:37
I find very interesting that everyone is making a choice, and that no one has yet driven an R8... I love the R8, it looks amazing, it's rather "cheap", it's got great performance figures, etc... But i would want to drive one before saying which one i would actually choose... How's the R tronic, how does it act on track???.. Still many questions need to be answered. I am a big audi nut, but nevertheless, i would wait for a bunch of reviews before making a call...

And we must all admit that the 911 is a great car overall, the finish is great, the legend is part of the car, and although the standard 911 doesn't have mountains of power, it's an awsome track car, an easy to use everyday car, and i think it looks great, although however, since we've all seen at least pictures of the R8, the Audi looks 1000000 times better!!!!!

For now, i'll keep my money, and decide when people start driving the allmighty AUDI! :D

We can all speculate as to which we would prefer, mainly because when you buy an Audi you don't really listen to what the reviews say. With the exception of the RS4, every Audi has been beaten by more than one review against a BMW rival so why are we all not driving them, the answer is that there is more to what make a great car than what is thrilling to drive. We all know that the 911 is a great car, but after driving both it and the Cayman I for one would choice the latter and not from a cost point of view. The 997 like all 911s have that problem of the engine at the back and thought Audi does the same only in the reverse the effects are more predictable and as such easier to control.

The R8 will bring all that is great about the Audi brand but add real driver involvement into the mix, in a package that will be almost as easy to control as all current Audis. Great though the 997 is, not even it will in my opinion be able to compete with such an complete car. And I know some will say that you haven't driven the car yet but I, like all here know that it will be way better than anything before it and that my friends is good enough for me to rate it the best car ever.:D

RXBG
December 15th, 2006, 22:46
has been beaten by an audi at least once :king:

Cale24
December 16th, 2006, 23:25
911 versus R8 versus lamborghini? At least we are all on the same team! However, how many times have we heard about cars that are gonna 'beat the 911'? I'm a fanatical Porsche fan, and I love Audis too, so wouldn't mind either way- can't WAIT to read a shoot-out with the R8. What bugs me about the car though is the weight, as many of you guys have probably already discussed (I'm a new poster). Is that Aluminium FOIL around steel components or what?! I mean, even a 996 Turbo is slightly lighter than the R8.