PDA

View Full Version : How much does R8 Weight vs. Gallardo

dsts6
November 1st, 2006, 13:52
I read the R8 is 1560kg. What is the gallardos weight, every where I go has different weight. Why is one heavier then the other? And how much do you guys think a rear wheel drive R8 would weight?
Thanks and I hope this isn't a stupid questions.

m3fan
November 1st, 2006, 17:45
I read the R8 is 1560kg. What is the gallardos weight, every where I go has different weight. Why is one heavier then the other? And how much do you guys think a rear wheel drive R8 would weight?

The R8 has the 4.2 V8 versus the Gallardo's 5.0 V10 so you'd figured it would be lighter. The r8 is suppose to be about 4 inches longer so maybe thats where the extra weight is?:confused:

Leadfoot
November 1st, 2006, 18:22
It's about 130kgs heavier than the Gallardo. I reckon it's down to extra sound-deadening and the extra length. But it's only 85kgs heavier than it's main rival the Carrera 4S and while being 64bhp more powerful.:dig:

Plus it looks a hell of a lot better too.:D

Toto89
November 1st, 2006, 20:17
When I saw the Le Mans concept in 2003 i thought it will be a Gallardo killer, unfortunatelly we have to tell R8 is too slow to be a real rival of Gallardo, but MUCH nicer than it!!!
If Carrera 4S is the opponent....I think it's not a question:D

quattro Gmbh
November 2nd, 2006, 16:18

gallardo is 1600 kg. r8 is a little bit lighter than gallardo.

rwd r8 would weight around 100-150 kg less, same with gallardo.

tazsura
November 2nd, 2006, 17:04
Its also lighter than the Aston Martin V8 Vantage...

Not to shabby considering the weight of the Quattro system :burnout:

dsts6
November 2nd, 2006, 18:01
gallardo is 1600 kg. r8 is a little bit lighter than gallardo.

rwd r8 would weight around 100-150 kg less, same with gallardo.

Wierd cause everyone has a different weight for the gallardo.

Leadfoot
November 2nd, 2006, 18:11
Listen the Gallardo is 1430Kgs. Not 1600Kgs, that's about the same as the Murcielago.

dsts6
November 2nd, 2006, 18:16
RXBG, I saw some posts you made on fourtitude about an R8 varient possiblity. Can you fill us in on that, would that debut in the next year.

dsts6
November 2nd, 2006, 18:29
http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/download/WorldSuperpowersDataSpecs.pdf
Road and track claims weight of 3,560 lbs.

quattro Gmbh
November 2nd, 2006, 20:09
Listen the Gallardo is 1430Kgs. Not 1600Kgs, that's about the same as the Murcielago.

no you are wrong. murcielago weighs 1750 kg. gallardo weighs 1600 kg.

this is exact information from a gallardo owner, a friend of mine, tested and proved.

if you don't belive me, check out lambopower.com and ask other gallardo&murci owners.

RXBG
November 2nd, 2006, 20:21
the R8 variant is rumored to be either a t-top or a convertible. it will exist in both V8 and V10 powerplants. the V8 will debut first, of course, but i am not sure when. it could be LA or after......

dsts6
November 2nd, 2006, 22:21
Anyone know anything about BMW and if they will be doing a midengine car anytime soon. Theres also the mclaren P8 coming apparently so I wonder how audi will deal with those and what the specs. of those will be.
the speculation......!

Leadfoot
November 2nd, 2006, 23:08
no you are wrong. murcielago weighs 1750 kg. gallardo weighs 1600 kg.

this is exact information from a gallardo owner, a friend of mine, tested and proved.

if you don't belive me, check out lambopower.com and ask other gallardo&murci owners.

quattro Gmbh,

I think you need to check this out before you doubt someone.

http://www.lamborghini.com/2006/lamboSitenormal.asp?lang=eng

As I said, the Gallardo is 1430Kgs.

http://www.lamborghini.com/2006/lamboSitenormal.asp?lang=eng

By the way the P640 weight is 30kgs over the previous model.

Sorry for proving you wrong.:dance:

Lateknight
November 3rd, 2006, 00:17
You've got to make sure if you are talking dry weight (no fluids, poverty spec. equipment model) or production weight, sometimes quoted as including driver @70kgs and 1/2 tank of fuel.

According to EVO mag a Gallardo weighs 1520kg (just to throw a diffrent figure into the mix)

Does anybody know a Gallardo driver that can check his/her registration document for listed weight - it should be on there somewhere.

m3fan
November 3rd, 2006, 17:50
I remember a bunch of magazines saying the tested weight for the Gallardo was about 3600lbs and 3800 for the Murc. I said "tested weight". So what is the offical weight for the R8?

quattro Gmbh
November 3rd, 2006, 18:59
1430kg is not the curb weight. it's the dry weight (not even motor oil included). the car may even lack some of the standard equipment.

with a few options (e-gear, navigation, onboard computer) it gets easily over 1550 kg, fully loaded (lifting system, electric & heated seats etc..) close to 1650.

but it's not impossible to turn awd into rwd :) you can get rid of 150kg. check out lambo forums:jlol:

Leadfoot
November 3rd, 2006, 21:29
1430kg is not the curb weight. it's the dry weight (not even motor oil included). the car may even lack some of the standard equipment.

with a few options (e-gear, navigation, onboard computer) it gets easily over 1550 kg, fully loaded (lifting system, electric & heated seats etc..) close to 1650.

but it's not impossible to turn awd into rwd :) you can get rid of 150kg. check out lambo forums:jlol:

Agreed it is dry weight but most manufacturers quote dry weight including Audi. Lets face it, the RS4 is meant to be 1620Kgs but not one mag has ever found any tested to be close to this. Do you think the R8 will be any different. So my original statement of the R8 being 130Kgs more still stands.

The weight difference between a car with Awd and Rwd depends on lots of things, if the system can push all of the power either direction or only some. One that can push the power either way will be heavier because more strengthening will be required to the front axle, so I reckon a minimum of 150Kgs increasing if the system works like I have stated.

Iceman
November 3rd, 2006, 21:41
Does anybody know a Gallardo driver that can check his/her registration document for listed weight - it should be on there somewhere.
Yes, It's weight is 1430 Kg.

Hans.

Leadfoot
November 3rd, 2006, 21:46
Thanks Hans for coming to my aid.:thumb:

By the way what the weather like in your neck of the woods?

Iceman
November 3rd, 2006, 21:51
Thanks Hans for coming to my aid.:thumb:

By the way what the weather like in your neck of the woods?
Cold 2-11 degrees and rainy.

Hans.

Leadfoot
November 3rd, 2006, 21:54
Sounds like you are living just down the road.

Iceman
November 3rd, 2006, 22:02
Sounds like you are living just down the road.
Just an the other side of the pond. :D

Hans.

m3fan
November 4th, 2006, 01:34
It would be great if Audi put there 6.0 engine in a "RS" version of the R8

dsts6
November 4th, 2006, 06:03
So the conclusion is that the R8 is heavier then the Gallardo.

Lateknight
November 4th, 2006, 08:55
I think we can safely say that, yes.

Not great news considering the lighter Gallardo has a bigger, heavier engine:doh:

Leadfoot
November 4th, 2006, 09:50
I think we can safely say that, yes.

Not great news considering the lighter Gallardo has a bigger, heavier engine:doh:

Guys, get a grip. So what if the R8 is heavier, if memory serves me right it all of 2 seconds slower than the Gallardo to 200km/h and this is based on Audi's conservative figures and again only 6 mph slower in top speed. It's a small price to pay for what is a huge saving in retail price for what is a more practical, better looking and more usable everyday form of transport that is by leaked reports a better handling car than the car it is based on.

So what if the v10 when it arrive is the best part of 200kgs heavier. We don't know what the power figures are for this version, it may be a little down on power but will possibly have more torque and at lower revs so will be again a more usable package on the road and as such more enjoyable. In other words a better car overall.

Sorry Lamborghini owners and fans for this home truths.:thumb:

dsts6
November 4th, 2006, 11:36
I donno but the extra weight just bothers me...
if it was atleast the same as Gallardo i'd be fine with it,

Iceman
November 4th, 2006, 11:44
I donno but the extra weight just bothers me...
if it was atleast the same as Gallardo i'd be fine with it,
Ditto.

Hans.

Lateknight
November 4th, 2006, 20:20
It would be great if Audi put there 6.0 engine in a "RS" version of the R8

It would need to be a breathed on version. The 'cooking' W12 version only puts out 450ps!

I think the R8 lineup should be as follows;

4.2 V8 420ps RWD only (that might upset a few of you - but does it REALLY need 4wd ??)

5.2 V10 500ps (or 508ps just to piss off BMW - but keep just under Lambo output) 4WD

6.0 W12 Twin Turbo 600ps 4WD

Just a bit of fun:noshake:

Iceman
November 4th, 2006, 20:26
There was ones a rumour of a new 7.2 liter W12 FSI engine with ± 560 hp.

Hans.

dsts6
November 4th, 2006, 20:51
lol, piss off BMW......hahaha

Leadfoot
November 4th, 2006, 20:54
Why not just do a 4.2FSi twin-turbo version instead of the v10, it wouldn't have a problem producing 520hp and 430ft/lbs of torque.........wicked.

Toto89
November 4th, 2006, 21:49
Ditto, I think 5 years ago it would be an easy question for Audi...they produced turbo engines. But today i feel like they don't want to make so much turbo engines because it's easy to tune, so people won't buy the more powerful,more expensive thing, just go to MTM or sthg. like that and get the same. They can't do this with a N/A engine, that's why many people choose B7 RS4 over S4...a few years ago you could buy a S4 TT and with some modifications it was faster than RS4, you can't do this today.
This philosophy comes from VW IMO and i really don't like it:(

Lateknight
November 4th, 2006, 22:34
Ditto, I think 5 years ago it would be an easy question for Audi...they produced turbo engines. But today i feel like they don't want to make so much turbo engines because it's easy to tune, so people won't buy the more powerful,more expensive thing, just go to MTM or sthg. like that and get the same. They can't do this with a N/A engine, that's why many people choose B7 RS4 over S4...a few years ago you could buy a S4 TT and with some modifications it was faster than RS4, you can't do this today.
This philosophy comes from VW IMO and i really don't like it:(

Fret not my friend. I am of the opinion that turbos and Audi have had a little difference of opinion just recently :vhmmm: , but will be back when either VTG (Variable Turbine Geometry) or sequential turbos become a little cheaper to produce.
Future emission regulations will force less larger capacity engines and more smaller forced induction engines.
By 2011 the RS4 could be back with a 3.0 L valvelift engine with twin VTG turbos.
Now if thats not worth 500ps, I'll eat my hat. :eek: (I'll have to buy a hat first though)

Benman
November 6th, 2006, 16:59
Why not just do a 4.2FSi twin-turbo version instead of the v10, it wouldn't have a problem producing 520hp and 430ft/lbs of torque.........wicked.

Exactly. Not to mention this would be a much better tie in with it's racing heritage as we all know the R8 racer had a... oh my goodness... wait for it... V8TT!!!:doh: :doh: :doh: :nana:

Ben:addict:

Leadfoot
November 6th, 2006, 17:08
Yeah Ben and it would keep the difference between the Lambo and the Audi.