PDA

View Full Version : What is the fastest way of launching 4WD car from standstill?

Michal12
November 1st, 2006, 10:23
Guys,
when launching a car from standstill, in RWD cars like an M3 one can clutch up really fast. Wheels may spin a bit but there is little damage to the clutch. However, when launching an S4 V8 for example, how do you do it? Because of Quattro drive wheels tend to find enough traction so if you clutch up too fast the clutch itself may spin and burn itself. I hear that some crazy journalists ever clutch up with engine running at the maximum rpm (CAR magazine - thats what they said about fastest launch of 911 Turbo or RS4).

What is your experience? How careful do I need to be with a clutch in an S4 V8:vhmmm:

Leadfoot
November 1st, 2006, 16:14
Guys,
when launching a car from standstill, in RWD cars like an M3 one can clutch up really fast. Wheels may spin a bit but there is little damage to the clutch. However, when launching an S4 V8 for example, how do you do it? Because of Quattro drive wheels tend to find enough traction so if you clutch up too fast the clutch itself may spin and burn itself. I hear that some crazy journalists ever clutch up with engine running at the maximum rpm (CAR magazine - thats what they said about fastest launch of 911 Turbo or RS4).

What is your experience? How careful do I need to be with a clutch in an S4 V8:vhmmm:

Personnel I find about 3500rpm is about right but you have to release the clutch quick as not to burn it. If you are to slow the clutch will spin and we all know that smell and the car goes away like it's a CVT. :rolleyes:

So my advice is not too high on the revs and release the clutch quick.:thumb:

tazsura
November 1st, 2006, 16:24
I hear that some crazy journalists ever clutch up with engine running at the maximum rpm (CAR magazine - thats what they said about fastest launch of 911 Turbo or RS4).

Don't do this! The Magazine guys get to give the car back when its broke! We don't...we just have a big bill! :vgrumpy:

About 3-4k RPM, like Leadfoot suggested, gives a good step off while still being kind to the car.
:burnout:

Hy Octane
November 1st, 2006, 17:03
And turn off the traction control too!