PDA

View Full Version : new RS6 engine

RXBG
October 31st, 2006, 16:46
580 hp

V10, twin turbo

debut in IAA

no DSG

"special" high-torque compatible, very quick changing automatic transmission with special programming

production set for dec 2007

you heard it here first.

Toto89
October 31st, 2006, 18:05
Thanks for the info.
Is it completely sure?
Good thing that the wating won't be so long :race:

RXBG
October 31st, 2006, 18:10
it has been triple checked. :D

buyalemon
October 31st, 2006, 18:22
"high torque compatible" ...no shit :dig: V10 biturbo should be able to deliver atleast 800 nm :jlol:

RXBG
October 31st, 2006, 18:52
another poster has stated that mules are running 700 hp. if true then audi expects this thing to last even if chipped. typical audi redundancy. go audi. with proper chip tuning, etc... this car will be stratospheric in its acceleration numbers. the S65 might as well go home.

the question is. what about the weight? i've no specific info on that.

Fab
October 31st, 2006, 19:33
those numbers looks insane if confirmed (sorry RXBG for my doubt).

The RS6 will just blow off competition:king:

buyalemon
October 31st, 2006, 19:39
S6 Avant weight is about 2000 kg ...I really doubt the RS6 to be much lighter!
But... 2000/580=3,4kg/hp is great anyway!

RXBG
October 31st, 2006, 20:08
well actually, if the A5/S5 bow at the IAA in september then i will definitely be making that trip. my biggest concern (here comes the threadjack) is the debut of the V10 R8. looks like it might not debut until geneva of 2008...i guess that makes sense, though...

jimmy94507
November 2nd, 2006, 19:21
580 hp, V10, twin turbo
debut in IAA
no DSG
"special" high-torque compatible, very quick changing automatic transmission with special programming
production set for dec 2007
you heard it here first.

Your numbers seem to track with what I was told at Laguna Seca. Will they be able to shave some weight off the car? Starting production at end of 2007 could provide US deliveries in fall of 2008. 2007 will be a very interesting year for Audi.

Ruergard
November 2nd, 2006, 20:19
If thats true it's amazing! Damn there will be a lot torque! :D
Too bad that DSG didn't make it in to that car though. :(

But still, end of 2007 isnt that far away... the countdown has started.. THE BEAST WILL LIVE AGAIN!

AndyBG
November 2nd, 2006, 21:04
no DSG

Whats point then?

:vhmmm:

Maybe R-tronic?

minimad
November 3rd, 2006, 02:31
Andy, any info about the supension?

S6LANA
November 3rd, 2006, 09:57
Thanks! That's great info. How about price estimates in the US?

m3fan
November 3rd, 2006, 16:54
So is the new auto transmission the R-Tronic? Any torque figures?

RXBG
November 3rd, 2006, 17:02
it could be r- tonic. or regular auto. or something new. but def. not DSG and not a stick.

jimmy94507
November 3rd, 2006, 17:34
As I understand it, R-tronic is Audi's name for their version of e-gear used in the R8 - sequential, single clutch gearbox.
This is a new "automatic". Don't know the supplier. Gotta get the "spies" digging for details.

Leadfoot
November 3rd, 2006, 20:44
With what Aston Martin has achieved with it's automatic transmission in the DB9, I won't be disappointed if Audi was to use something similar. Though I reckon the two are totally different what with the RS6 being awd, but if it was to be as good who here would feel short changed for not getting a R-Tronic/DSG etc.

Toto89
November 4th, 2006, 17:53
it could be r- tonic. or regular auto. or something new. but def. not DSG and not a stick.

Well...DSG is one of the fastest gearbox on Earth, is it really good to miss it?

Aronis
November 4th, 2006, 18:53
It is interesting that they are going different ways with each line from a transmission issue. I read that the DSG for a Transverse Engine is in the works but not yet ready. The 5 cylinder (1/2 V10) design for the 09 TT for example...

I think the DSG is only being used for the V6's and I4's for now.....would be interesting to have a DSG 8 speed which can handle 600 hp......

The Lexus LS 460 has an 8 speed auto...

Mike

Leadfoot
November 4th, 2006, 19:18
It is interesting that they are going different ways with each line from a transmission issue. I read that the DSG for a Transverse Engine is in the works but not yet ready. The 5 cylinder (1/2 V10) design for the 09 TT for example...

I think the DSG is only being used for the V6's and I4's for now.....would be interesting to have a DSG 8 speed which can handle 600 hp......

Mike

Though I'm not an engineer the principle of an 8 speed DSG shouldn't be that difficult. It's basically adding another gear on to each clutch, but unless Audi drop this 155mph limit there really isn't a need for a 7 never mind a 8 speed box. Regards if a DSG only needs 20miliseconds if it changes gear in the middle of a corner it will still unsettle the car, with less gears the chances of this happening is less.

Iceman
November 4th, 2006, 19:38
The RS6 will probably get the all new 6 speed TipTronic gearbox that can handle the torque.

Hans.

Lateknight
November 4th, 2006, 19:44

Mike

Am I missreading this?
DSG was originally launched for transverse engines (3.2 v6 TT) about 3 years ago.
Did you mean longitudinal? (north/south installations)

8 speed auto :confused:
Is that not just one-upmanship?
Surely that cannot be any quicker or more efficient than if Lexus built it with 'only' 7 speeds................
By the way, whats it like to drive? :incar:

Iceman
November 4th, 2006, 19:54
By the way, whats it like to drive? :incar:
It's changing gears, all the time. :D

Hans.

Leadfoot
November 4th, 2006, 20:05
Lateknight,

DSG was only introduced in the TT first because the twin clutch gearbox with already in serves in the 225 TT and they decided to launch it in with the 3.2v6 model. If I'm right it was designed with two clutches to save space so all they had to do was fit electronics to change the gears instead of the human.

Hy Octane
November 4th, 2006, 21:27
Yes. But I am told the trouble with the DSG is getting it to handle hi torque, but they have made alot of progress on it..

Lateknight
November 4th, 2006, 21:51
Lateknight,

DSG was only introduced in the TT first because the twin clutch gearbox with already in serves in the 225 TT and they decided to launch it in with the 3.2v6 model. If I'm right it was designed with two clutches to save space so all they had to do was fit electronics to change the gears instead of the human.

Was it available for the 225 (1.8) engine ?
If it was, I am was not aware of it and bow down :bow: to your superior knowledge.

The point I was trying to mention was that DSG is only available for transverse engines at the moment (dont count Bugatti), and did '8 speed-ARONIS' mean to say longitudinal?

Aronis
November 4th, 2006, 22:08
Sorry, miss typed...spoke...

There is a quick note about a 5 cylinder (350 hp) turbo Audi TT in one of the car mags last month or so....mention DSG not yet developed for Longitudinal Engines....

Either way, I am just wondering what the Torque limits would be on such a transmission....

I drove a GTI a few months ago, while my suspension was still ailing...considering a VW if Audi was going to throw me a bone if they could not fix my DRC....

Anyway, although that engine was not a monster, the DSG was quite nice...shifted faster than any human could shift....imagine that quick shifting DSG type transmission with a 450 plus hp car....YIKES..

Mike

Bauer
November 4th, 2006, 23:59
The only car currently running DSG technology with over 300hp is a 1.3 million US dollar car, the Veryon.

Iceman
November 5th, 2006, 06:51
In the "Audi Roadjet Concept" was a 7 speed longitudinal DSG/S-tronic installed in combination with a 300hp/330Nm 3.2 litre V6 FSI valve lift engine.

Hans.

Leadfoot
November 5th, 2006, 09:26
Was it available for the 225 (1.8) engine ?
If it was, I am was not aware of it and bow down :bow: to your superior knowledge.

The point I was trying to mention was that DSG is only available for transverse engines at the moment (dont count Bugatti), and did '8 speed-ARONIS' mean to say longitudinal?

Lateknight,

No, the DSG gearbox wasn't introduced in the 225hp TT but it did have the twin shafts, one shaft with 1, 3, 5 gears and the other with 2, 4, 6 gears, I am unsure if it had two clutches but it was the logical step to use this gearbox to design the electronics to create the DSG gearbox we see today or maybe it was always Audi's intention to develop this gearbox into the DSG.