PDA

View Full Version : Tough verdict

RacerBice
October 31st, 2006, 16:04
"This is one quick Audi that the U.S. can happily do without"....OUUCHHHH!!!

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=117203

:confused:

JavierNuvolari
October 31st, 2006, 21:17
Right....let's compare an Audi S3 to a Ford Focus ST...I think that Edmunds is not important at all as a car review source.I would be worried if EVO said that about the S3.

Cheers all,

Javier

Leadfoot
November 1st, 2006, 20:08
To compare the S3 to the Focus ST is like comparing a Rolex to a Sekio, both keep equally good time and both you wear on you wrist, but only one is a quality product.

RacerBice
November 2nd, 2006, 09:56
I guess the point was that for the extra, hefty money one would have to pay for an S3 one would also expect it to be even more fun to drive (in addition to offering better quality and feel, etc). But I myself agree that not many affording an S3 will ever even consider going for the cheaper ST. They will rather look to Wolfsburg or Munich for alternatives.

Speaking of which, I've now read also Auto Bild's recent comparison of all the hot(test) hatches on the market. As it happens, the S3 was only marginally quicker than the R32 and 130i (0-100 kph in 6,2/6,3/6,4 secs), the stopping distance was a couple of inches longer than the two main rivals', and it lost out on points for both brake and steering feel/communication. Still (and this is where it all gets interesting) they reported to have posted a lap time around the Contidrome(?) of 71,59 for the S3, 72,51 for the VW and 73,22 (!) for the BMW. This to me suggests that the Audi is in a class of its own here, in terms of ride dynamics.

:s3addict:

Subzero
November 5th, 2006, 15:40
according to "teknikens värld" a swedish mag the s3 and RS4 is the most fun to drive audis that has been produced.

Leadfoot
November 6th, 2006, 08:51
according to "teknikens värld" a swedish mag the s3 and RS4 is the most fun to drive audis that has been produced.

If this is the case than it just proves that the TT needs the S3 engine in the quattro instead of the 3.2L because without a doubt the new TT is way ahead of the A3 dynamically.

Audi hurry up and put your finger out.