PDA

View Full Version : Tires

jconley
April 13th, 2003, 20:39
What type of tires is the RS6 being delivered with in Europe? Anyone know what we will get here in the US?

Alex K
April 13th, 2003, 21:44
Far as I know, standard tires (18 inch) are 255/40 whereas the optional 19 inch are 255/35

jconley
April 13th, 2003, 21:47
Thanks- I knew that- I am inquiring as to the make and model (brand) of the tire.

scoop
April 13th, 2003, 22:19
I've seen both Conti Sport Contact and Pirelli P Zero Rosso.

Erik
April 14th, 2003, 09:11
P Zero Rosso is the best weapon of choice.
I know quattro Gmbh wants feedback from their customers about the tires.

Thilo
April 14th, 2003, 09:19
Originally posted by Erik B
P Zero Rosso is the best weapon of choice.
I know quattro Gmbh wants feedback from their customers about the tires.

As i drove only 1000 km with my RS6 it is maybee too early to say. But until now i am very satisfied with Pirelli P Zero.

I had years ago on my BMW 325i also P Zero's but i was really unhappy with the performance.

On the RS6 they feel like they would glue the car to the ground.

Regards
Thilo

scoop
April 14th, 2003, 09:30
Originally posted by Thilo
As i drove only 1000 km with my RS6 it is maybee too early to say. But until now i am very satisfied with Pirelli P Zero.

Same here. I'm very happy with the performance of the P Zero on my former M Coupe and my current RS4/RS6 pair. Both track and regular street performance.

MichaelJP
April 14th, 2003, 09:52
My RS6 is fitted with Conti Sport Contacts. I'm happy with them, but obviously can't compare them with the Pirellis. Also, despite having the car for 2 weeks, I've yet to drive them in the wet, which must be a record for the UK in April!

I didn't rate P-Zeros a few years ago when I had them on a Porsche 993 C4, but I am told that the new Rossos are very good, so I would definitely give them a try.

- MichaelJP

Erik
April 14th, 2003, 10:11
Auto Motor Sport tested sport tires recently.

P Zero Rosso came out as the overall winner.
On wet it is not the best tire. Also I'm not 100% on the wear.

Nobody remembers a loser so I can't remember the brand, but in any case the M3 with the worst tire lost against a Ford Mondeo with the P Zero Rosso on a track. :bigeyes:

TheBrit
April 14th, 2003, 10:43
I prefer the Contis. My RS 6 came with P Zeros on, and I'm already onto a set of CSC2s!

After 7000 miles, the middle 50% of the tread had worn completely down past the tread wear indicators. It was almost impossible to tell how bad the wear was from the outer edges of the tyres, I actually didn't notice until I slightly damaged one sidewall on a kerb while parking. All four were ready for replacement, and as I didn't think I'd really been abusing them too much, I was pretty surprised at that!

Also, having just wintered on them (never enough snow to make M+S tyres worthwhile), I've found that in cold weather, especially if it's also wet, the P Zero has poor lateral grip and the slightest imperfection on the road surface has them scrabbling for grip.

The Contis I'm much happier with. A couple of weeks ago, I'd worked late and was heading home about 1am. It was half a degree above freezing, but dry and the roads were empty. The cool air did wonders for the engine, and the Contis were still grippy despite the low temperature. That was one of the best (and fastest!) commutes home I've yet managed.

I'd have the CSC2 again.

Thilo
April 14th, 2003, 11:05
How about the Potenza from Bridgestone. Is this an alternative and are available for RS6 ?

Regards
Thilo

JP4
April 14th, 2003, 14:43
Auto Motor Sport tested sport tires recently.

P Zero Rosso came out as the overall winner.
On wet it is not the best tire. Also I'm not 100% on the wear.

Would it be possible for you to post that test from Auto Motor Sport or provide a link to the article?

BTW- Is anyone interested in a set of Bridgestone S-03's in 265/40/17 fitment. They are all in excellent shape and all have 7/32" tread left. They came off my A6 4.2. I REALLY like them but they won't be much use to me on the RS6!

JP4

Benman
April 14th, 2003, 15:53
Originally posted by jconley
Thanks- I knew that- I am inquiring as to the make and model (brand) of the tire.

when i was at the nevada quattro event, the pirelli sales rep
was there. he was saying that the U.S. RS6 would come with
P ZERO ROSSO. but i'm sure some of the cars will come with
other tires as nothing is set in stone.:cheers:

ben:addict:

Erik
April 15th, 2003, 08:32
Originally posted by JP4
Would it be possible for you to post that test from Auto Motor Sport or provide a link to the article?

I'm afraid it's in Swedish. :eye:

JP4
April 15th, 2003, 13:47
I'm afraid it's in Swedish. :eye:

Whoops...I'm afraid I'm out of luck then on that one! :vsad:

April03- GO
April 15th, 2003, 14:19
I went for the std. 18". My car was shipped with Michelin Pilot Sport,(18/255/40). I think that they are kind of bumpy so far, (800 km), but I'm trying to convince myself that the will give me much more mileage compared with my previous Pirelli’s Zero Rosso (2001 S6). The delivered superb grip but was warn out after aprox. 18000 km.

Plexus
April 21st, 2003, 16:07
:addict: Conti's are the best. Without doubt on the track, in the wet, on the motorway and through the twisty roads never a problem. My current RS6 will be replaced in 2 months and the new one will wear 20"s, any recomendations on the tyres for 20"s?

Dave
April 21st, 2003, 21:40
Very interesting thread..

My Rs6 came with Conti Sports 2.. much better than the conti-sports (1) I had on my S6.

My mate has just taken delivery of his RS6 and he has the P Zero Rossos.. I thought that they look better and was a bit envious.. but after reading the thread I am pleased with what I have.

I have no reason to critisise the conti's, they have done the business so far

Cheers
Dave

Nordschleife
April 21st, 2003, 22:39
Hi
The Sport Conti 2 is a very good tyre in the 19 inch size, and with the 96 Load Rating. As far as I am aware, all the 'special' RS6s come ex-factory with them fitted.
However, they are not good at rim protection. If having to traverse kerbs, park in tight european streets, etc., the rims will quickly get scuffed badly. Strangely, the old Contis were better in this respect.
As replacement tyres for the 19 inch rims, I suggest the oversized Yokohama AVS Sports. These will provide a nice fat cushion against scuffing and extremely good handling characteristics.
With this level of performance, the P Zero Rossos are described as 'comfort' tyres by the factory. The Neros are also worth consideration.
HTH
R+C

Al Delemo
April 22nd, 2003, 00:30
Originally posted by jconley
What type of tires is the RS6 being delivered with in Europe? Anyone know what we will get here in the US?

The RS 6 at the NY auto show was showd with Pirelli Zero's, it did not have drilled rotors, it had the battery in the trunk, the seats were Audi Sport seats with the RS 6 logo and it did have front and rear parking sensors. It attracted a huge crowd but only those with deposits on one were allowed up close.This is one stealtheee Hot Rod.

Al
02 A-6 4.2Q
98 A-4 2.8Q
90 928 S4

Artur Costa
April 22nd, 2003, 05:25
Anyone tested the new Michelin Pilot SP2?
I believe thats the name .... or else they are still called Sport!

And BTW , any link about tyres?
The P Zero really look great , but I never driven a car (or been driven on a car) with P Zero!

Erik
April 22nd, 2003, 08:27
This is the reply I got from Pirelli on the question what do you have for the RS 6.

255 35 ZR 19 96 Y XL PZERO ROSSO A
255 40 ZR 18 99 Y XL PZERO ROSSO A

Erik
April 22nd, 2003, 09:45
According to this commercial, Bridgestone is the best :D

http://media1.adforum.com/B/BB/BBDB_08646/BBDB_08646_0028797W.MPG :hihi:

Plexus
April 22nd, 2003, 21:51
:addict: That said can anyone confirm that
A: If you have drilled discs (rotors) you get Conti's
B: If you don't have drilled discs you get Pirrellis??
C: Audi just buy what ever is available down at Tyres-R-US?

What if you get sport suspension, then I suppose you get Khumo or Cheng Shin.

When will Audi get the marketing dept in the same planet as the rest of us, ie; the customers??

Rhaps
April 23rd, 2003, 00:42
Anyone tried Falken FK-451?

Erik
April 23rd, 2003, 07:53
Originally posted by Plexus
:addict: That said can anyone confirm that
A: If you have drilled discs (rotors) you get Conti's
B: If you don't have drilled discs you get Pirrellis??
C: Audi just buy what ever is available down at Tyres-R-US?

What if you get sport suspension, then I suppose you get Khumo or Cheng Shin.

It's definetly not C.

The RS6 Avant I drove had drilled discs and sport suspension.
I was on Contis but since the rear wheels left the factory not 100% calibrated the owner was offered new tires free of choice.
He will go for the P Zeros.

TheBrit
April 23rd, 2003, 11:37
It's definetly not C.
Not officially anyway, although in reality...

All the Avants my dealer has passed through (about 8 so far) came with Continentals, my Sedan came with Pirellis, however I do know of Sedan buyers getting Contis.

I think it works along the lines of Contis as standard, unless you ask for Pirellis. This is what happened with UK RS4s, so I'm told. Having said that, if quattro only had a stack of P Zeros kicking about and cars waiting to be built, I reckon they'd put the P Zeros and on get them shipped.

There was a big shortage of the Extra-load CSC2s in 255/35R19 last month, even Conti didn't have any in the pipeline, I think quattro must have bought them all, so expect everything to come with CSC2s on for a while! :)

Plexus
April 23rd, 2003, 11:46
:addict: I have spoken to the dealer today and asked them to put Coni's on the new car. Their reply " You will get what is avialable!" Good job I am putting another tyre and wheel combination on.