PDA

View Full Version : RS6 Avant and Revo??

rubyblack
October 29th, 2006, 06:07
Hi all, any of you guys had any experience of Revo tuning your RS6's? I'd like to know your thoughts and any positive and or negative feedback please? Their claimed 450 to 515 bhp hike looks good!! :addict:

I take it the tiptronic gearbox needs to be retuned too if the engine is remapped???

:dig: :applause:

gjg
October 29th, 2006, 08:47
do search on the board, there is plenty of stuff. There are other and IMHO better options to tune rs6 - I'd preffer to use Euro/German tuners instead. You have better chance to get a chip which was tested properly instead of just rewritten software with unknown long term problems. Not to put down some reputable US tuners though ....

Gearbox chip alone will help even with stock engine - I have mtm and I'm pleased with it. :thumb:

gjg
October 29th, 2006, 08:48
where are you located?

rubyblack
October 29th, 2006, 09:05
UK....:addict: :wo:

gjg
October 29th, 2006, 09:23
did you check Abt or MTM? In any case I'd strongly advice to get TCU chip - with MTM it's free with engine tune .... :deal:

rubyblack
October 29th, 2006, 09:25
Hi again, just had a look at the Revo threads :eek: ....I think I will be checking out the MTM options....:D

Ruergard
October 29th, 2006, 11:21
Go for MTMs chip! They know what they are doing with Audis.. ;) I've had a ride in a MTM RS6... and... damn it goes! :D

gjg
October 29th, 2006, 17:29
I've had a ride in a MTM RS6... and... damn it goes! :D

I can testify to than one ... :bigeyes: :applause:

S6LANA
October 30th, 2006, 10:11
There are always good debates on the AW forums about whether or not to chip a US RS6. The most believable reason I've heard about why it won't work is that (in short) our clutch plates provide a smoother ride than the Euro version, but it can't handle the extra stress (torque) of the shift once chipped.

Anyone notice this? I'm especially curious to hear from the euro folks who have chips. How are the cars holding up long term?

gjg
October 30th, 2006, 23:15
holding ok so far .... :thumb:

S6LANA
October 31st, 2006, 12:24
G, glad to hear it! :)

What is your average driving pattern like? (e.g., lots of foot stomping? gradual accelerations? etc.)

Benman
October 31st, 2006, 15:20
did you check Abt or MTM?

If you're in the UK, then I'd stick with this advice. Abt and MTM have extensive history with Audi and are more available to you than us US customers...

Here we have other options, but MTM and Abt are :king:

I personally wouldn't have any issues with GIAC (being in the US) as I have it in my street S4 and Garret personally spent time on my Galati racecar remapping Cosworth/Mahle's ECU!!!:bigeyes: Yep, Garret is good.:thumb:

Ben:addict:

gjg
October 31st, 2006, 20:03
What is your average driving pattern like? (e.g., lots of foot stomping? gradual accelerations? etc.)[/QUOTE]

there is no such thing as "gradual acceleration" - you tap it and it goes :D Although mtm's gearbox map is actually rather "conservative" with light throttle, once you go little further with your foot, be prepared, %*&@ will hit the fan - pretty fast. :revs:

I apply the power in rather "liberal" way - that's what its there for anyway ... :applause: . My fuel "mileage last 4 weeks (with the colder weather) did not get bellow 20l/100 km, that's about 11 mpg on daily driving, mixed about 50/50 normal road/autobahn. My only complaint about the beast is the size of the fuel tank - 90 or 100 litres would be ideal for my driving.
I'm sure Ben will chip in on this one :lovl:

With normal care (oil temp/maintenance) and reasonable driving (don't drive it like a car thief) the chips should have no effect on beast's longevity (hope this is the correct term).

this statement

[QUOTE]The most believable reason I've heard about why it won't work is that (in short) our clutch plates provide a smoother ride than the Euro version, but it can't handle the extra stress (torque) of the shift once chipped.

is questionable, I believe somewhere in archives I've seen note about US model actually having slightly lower top speed in exchange for lower speed acceleration for US ... and this is first time I have seen any note about two different version of gearbox (EU/US) ... anything is possible but for such limited series one would question that due to the cost.

Anyaway, mtm works for me pretty well, this is 5th car I done with them and so far no problems with any one of them and performance is as expected on their products. :cheers:

Benman
November 1st, 2006, 00:30
My only complaint about the beast is the size of the fuel tank - 90 or 100 litres would be ideal for my driving.
I'm sure Ben will chip in on this one :lovl:

Yes, the dang tank is too small. I once, once got over 450 miles on a single tank. Mind you, that was all freeway @75mph cruising... anything over 80 and fuel consumption goes through the roof (Bilbozilla would be pleased. ;) ).

Ben:addict:

rubyblack
November 1st, 2006, 06:08
Noted all your comments guys, thanks. However do I take it that seeing as no one has mentioned ever having had the Revo remap due to other more suitable options being available from alternative tuning houses or are there other compatability or technical issues that people have found after having had the Revo remap?

They have a pretty good reputation on other VAG engined cars in the UK so I'd be interested to know more please....:addict: :deal:

s42ski
November 2nd, 2006, 04:03
I have had the Revo software for about a year- it works fine and is smooth. The higher power settings work very well and are noticeable - I take the car to Mammoth with the family and a ski rack and the added power is noticeable when passing on highway 395.

The other nice feature is the valet mode which takes the car to about the performance of a normal 4.2 engine ( very little or no boost)- very nice when I need to valet the car.

No I have not had the car on a dyno, so this is a pure seat of the pants reply.

rubyblack
November 3rd, 2006, 04:55
I have had the Revo software for about a year- it works fine and is smooth. The higher power settings work very well and are noticeable - I take the car to Mammoth with the family and a ski rack and the added power is noticeable when passing on highway 395.

The other nice feature is the valet mode which takes the car to about the performance of a normal 4.2 engine ( very little or no boost)- very nice when I need to valet the car.

No I have not had the car on a dyno, so this is a pure seat of the pants reply.

Thank you Sir.....:dig: :wo: