PDA

View Full Version : New To The Board

jrj2820
October 27th, 2006, 21:36
I am getting an Audi 4 model but not sure which one to pic as my first car. How do you go about knowing which one of the 4models to choose, I mean ___ I can get the A41.8t, 2.0t, 3.2 how do i know whats best for me the price is not the issue..
I am not a race track fanantic, even though I would like to take my car to the track every now and again.

HOw did you know which Audi A4 or S4 model to get what motivated you the get that one over the other?

Ricoloco
October 27th, 2006, 22:51
Make it easy for yourself, take the one with most hp.

Simple!

Or the new quattro sport if you want the most "bang for the buck".

PetrolDave
October 28th, 2006, 18:08
Just go for an RS4.

I've had an A4 1.9TDi Sport (boring - it gathered speed rather than accelerated so I had it chipped but then it just spun it's front wheels), 2 different S4's (great fun, wonderful V8 sound) and now the RS4 (in a different league than the S4 - very fast, very comfortable, just a great car). Since all have been Avants they are also practical family cars too!

If you really can't justify an RS4, then at least get a quattro.

Benman
October 30th, 2006, 15:40
jrj2820,

Welcome to the board. First, in order to help you, it might be good to tell us some things. Like, where do you live, what kind of budget are you working with, what are you looking for in your A4.

You mentioned that you're not a "race track fanantic, even though I would like to take my car to the track every now and again. " From that, I'd say you're looking for something fun. TDIs can be fun, but they're not as fun as the petrols. So if occasional track days are in order, I'd recommend a 1.8T quattro. The 1.8T motor has been around for a long time and is track proven (Stasis in the USA runs those motors in their racecars). It will be cheap to buy (second hand) and have much lower running costs than a B5 S4 or for that matter, B6 S4/B7 RS 4. It is also lighter and more nimble in the turns and a great platform for mods.

Again, hard for us to help without more info on your budget.:thumb:

Ben:addict:

jrj2820
October 30th, 2006, 19:32
well I was not sure what information is needed so I just wrote something to get a reply as to the type of questions to ask.

Thanks to Ricoloco (http://www.rs6.com/forum/member.php?u=2626), PetrolDave (http://www.rs6.com/forum/member.php?u=2522) and Benman (http://www.rs6.com/forum/member.php?u=195)<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_78610", true); </SCRIPT> for their replies.......... I am going to test drive all of them how about that LOL.......Based on Benman (http://www.rs6.com/forum/member.php?u=195)'s post I have friends who are into mods and so I am leaving the 1.8t out. My options are
3.2 A4 or an S4 (has to be quattro)
I live in Boston and will be traveling to NYcity often (every other week) so I'll be driving alot.
The buget - I have been eyeing Audi since 1996 when I saw my first yellow s4 on the streets on Boston now I am finally getting mine. Its my first car and will be buying my S8 when the empire is completed :-)
for now I can afford an S6 but in love with the 4s

I guess I can try both
will post my test drive later<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_78610", true); </SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_78520", true); </SCRIPT>

Benman
October 30th, 2006, 19:49
Based on Benman (http://www.rs6.com/forum/member.php?u=195)'s post I have friends who are into mods and so I am leaving the 1.8t out. My options are

Well, if you really want a 3.2 or a S4, then no question. S4 all the way. Totally different animal. I would suggest a B5 S4 as well, but you don't seem to be into mods. ;) :D BTW, first car? How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

jrj2820
October 30th, 2006, 20:44
28yrs
no prob with the age thing
I am going with the B7s (the grill ohhhhh the grill)

Benman
October 31st, 2006, 00:00
Its my first car... 28yrs
:vhmmm: I'm confused. You're 28 years old, and this is your first car, or your first Audi? For someone who got their license as soon as they were 16, this does not compute. :D

IulianUM
October 31st, 2006, 00:02
Wellcome , the S4 is a great car , youŽll gonna like it . I had an B6 S4 before , and is a very quick car , and I like "4s" better than "6s" too , sorry Ben . :thumb:

PetrolDave
November 1st, 2006, 12:39
My options are
I live in Boston and will be traveling to NYcity often (every other week) so I'll be driving alot.
You're in Boston then? I was out there a couple of weeks ago visiting my stepson who lives in Malden.

The S4 would be a great choice, because it's such a great cruiser and it sounds so good when accelerating in tunnels etc. If you're OK with the fuel costs (gas was under $2 a gallon in parts of Boston 2 weeks ago - compare that to what I'm paying in the UK which is equivalent to $5.86 per US gallon!) then I'd say S4 all the way.

If you can stretch your budget to an RS4 the run between NY city and Boston would be a bit cheaper - sounds crazy but I get better mileage on long runs in my RS4 than in either of my previous S4's, due to the FSI. But the rest of the time the fuel bills would be a bit higher - it's impossible to resist hearing that V8 spin at 8000rpm!

If gas costs are a big factor - then it would have to be the 3.2 in quattro form. On wet or icy roads quattro makes the drive so much safer and more comfortable than FWD.

jrj2820
November 4th, 2006, 01:39
Well I went to the dealer today and checked out my options. Mr. Desrochers, oh guys he drives a BMW 7series:-( poor guy, who explained whats a better deal for me and the 3.2a4 turned out to be the better.
THANK YOU PetrolDave (http://www.rs6.com/forum/member.php?u=2522)
two more houses to sell then the RS4 IT IS

jrj2820
November 8th, 2006, 01:57
I'm gonna own an Audi
I'm gonna own an Audi
I'm gonna own an Audi
I'm gonna own an Audi
I'm gonna own an Audi
I'm gonna own an Audi
I'm gonna own an Audi

jrj2820
November 12th, 2006, 03:03
<table cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr><td>
</td> <td colspan="2">I am tryingto learn everything there is to know about my new audi, this is it's Engine
what does this mean and why is it good or bad
</td> <td> </td> </tr> <!-- das eigentliche item --> <tr valign="top"> <td> </td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td> </td> </tr> <!-- das eigentliche item --> <tr valign="top"> <td> </td> <td>Engine type</td> <td>Aluminum V6 spark-ignition engine with gasoline direct injection, DOHC, 2-stage variable intake manifold w/2 charge movement flaps, demand-controlled high-pressure and low-pressure fuel system Arrangement: Front mounted, longitudinal
Bore: 3.33 in.
Stroke: 3.65 in.
Compression ratio: 12.5 : 1</td></tr></tbody> </table>

PetrolDave
November 15th, 2006, 12:45
<table cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr><td>
</td> <td colspan="2">I am tryingto learn everything there is to know about my new audi, this is it's Engine
what does this mean and why is it good or bad
</td> <td> </td> </tr> <!-- das eigentliche item --> <tr valign="top"> <td> </td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td> </td> </tr> <!-- das eigentliche item --> <tr valign="top"> <td> </td> <td>Engine type</td> <td>Aluminum V6 spark-ignition engine with gasoline direct injection, DOHC, 2-stage variable intake manifold w/2 charge movement flaps, demand-controlled high-pressure and low-pressure fuel system Arrangement: Front mounted, longitudinal
Bore: 3.33 in.
Stroke: 3.65 in.
Compression ratio: 12.5 : 1</td></tr></tbody> </table>
Aluminum - good, lighter than iron/steel.
V6 - OK, better than in-line 4, not as good as V8(!)
Gasoline Direct Injection - good, more power with better economy and less emissions (but does need low sulfur high octane gas).
DOHC - double overhead camshafts - good, means the valves are operated directly from the camshaft without any pushrods getting in the way.
2-stage variable intake manifold - good, means at low revs the airflow into the engine is optimised for better torque and at high revs the airflow into the engine is optimised for power.
front mounted, longitudinal - not great, because it means the engine tends to be well forward which means the car will have more understeer.

onelove
November 16th, 2006, 02:41
If i could just chime in for a sec to this convo. I previously owned an a4 avant 3.0 and although i thoroughly enjoyed it at first, i slowly but surely grew out of it. I recently stepped up to a DTM B7 S4 and all i can say is HELL YES!!! not only is it worlds more performance driven, but it is much more comfortable on longer drives and it growls like a bear. The V6 engine although good is so rarified that it will be donkeys years before tuners get around to it. Just my 2cents.

jrj2820
November 21st, 2006, 02:52
Is there such a thing as - a time of year to buy -
I mean actually getting a lower price due to time of year