PDA

View Full Version : Carrera GT in court...

steve
October 22nd, 2006, 20:37
http://www.businessweek.com/autos/content/jun2006/bw20060608_466074.htm

We've all heard it's a tough car to drive, but this...?

Mr Balsen
October 22nd, 2006, 22:27
Obviously mistakes have been made and some people need to take responsabilities for the death of two men.

You can imagine the extreme pain (right word ???) of the wife's of both dead men. So it is not surprising that one is suing to find the truth about what exactly happen ?

Cheers,
Frederic

Benman
October 23rd, 2006, 18:34
This is a classic example of all that is wrong with California.

Ok, now I know opinions are like butt holes and we all have em' and they all stink, but here's my take:

1st, having done numerous (not as many as others) track events, I can personally say, that SAFETY is the MAIN thing emphasized.

2nd, yes, we all sign waivers for the specific reason that although safety is the key thing, you are entering a RACE TRACK. It is possible that an injury/death could occur. These driver schools are not races, but they still have the chance of an accident. High speeds can equal greater injury should something occur (like in this sad situation).

3rd, the article makes a GREAT point of having experience before buying a HiPo car. But what the article (and lawsuit) FAILS to mention, was who's responsibility is that? The manufacture? HECK NO!!! It is the CONSUMER'S!!! If I walk in to Walmart and buy the biggest, sharpest knife they sell, then get home and within 10 minutes, cut off my finger, is it the knife manufacture's falt that my figure was severed? Is it Walmarts? People, these lawsuits are insane!

4th, the article/lawsuit does not mention how much experience Ben had. On the forums he used to visit before his death, he had several HiPo cars before this one, so he wasn't exactly a "stranger/noobie" to fast cars. Was he an experienced track guy? Was he an instructor? If so, he would be allowed to take passengers. Now, perhaps this car did have a mechanical problem that he knew about. Now, IF this is true, and he did know about it and yet, still decided to allow a passenger in his car, then yes, I would say that would be negligence. But that is a big if.

5th, why would Mr. Rudl, who the article says "who did not know" Ben, VOLUNTARILY got into a TOTAL STRANGERS car on a racetrack! Now, answer me this, where is HIS accountability??? Did he verify Ben's credentials as a driver? Did he "trust" him as a driver? Would this not be negligence on HIS part?

6th, the articel/lawsuit mentions the flagman tried to stop the Ferrari driver. Now, let me ask those of you who have been in a race or track event, what is one of the very first freakin things that you are told before going out onto the track? OBEY the flagmen! If not, you're kicked off! No discussion. At the same time, if the Ferrari driver did not see the flag (i.e. wasn't paying attention) then what could the flag driver do? Jump in front of the car? No... there would be nothing he could do to stop the driver from entering the track at the wrong time.

7th, It would appear as if this is the driver of the Ferrai's fault. It is, after all, his duty to watch the flagman, not the flagman's duty to make sure he sees him. However, this does not mean the driver of the Ferrari was trying to kill Mrs Rudl's husband. Again, this was a horrible accident!

In the end, this sad story gets even sadder. Ben Keaton is dead. A father and husband. Corey Rudl is dead, also leaving behind family. These men were both very successful businessmen (being able to afford these kinds of toys would preclude that). Now, that being the case, if they had half of a brain, they both would have had very high LIFE INSURANCE POLICIES! Now, I'm just a puke 30 year old kid, and don't make anything close to what these guys do in terms of income, and I have a one million dollar pollicy on myself. This is all forms of death. Accidental, murder, heck, even suicide! That way, I die knowing my wife can pay off the house, send the kid to college, etc. It is called being a responsible parent and husband. I can only assume these capable businessmen were just as "smart" as myself and in fact, due to their superior financial posistion, had a far higher policy in place for their loved ones. My point? The widow of Mr. Rudl is loaded. She has more $$$ than she'll ever need. Suing Mr. Keaton's FAMILY who had NOTHING to do with the incident will not bring back her dead husband. He is dead. He will never hold her again. He will never tell her he loves her again... Neither will Ben's wife receive those cherished things from her late husband and neither will Ben be able to hold and love his child. It will also not "teach" anyone a lesson. The two individuals that know what really happened are dead. They can give no testimony, no answers, no info.

Guys, Ben never intended to kill Corey. Corey never intended to die. It is what it is. An accident. All this crap does is add more stress to Mrs Keaton, who again, had absolutely nothing to do with this tragic event.

Everyone, please be carefull and please get life insurance. And please, for the love of all that is holy and righteous, stop suing everyone!

Sorry for the long rant, I've said my piece.

Ben:addict:

steve
October 23rd, 2006, 19:57
absolutely agree Benman. It's that typical 'see you in court' attitude that doesn't get us any further.

Bananaboy_S4
October 24th, 2006, 05:18
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54

gjg
October 24th, 2006, 16:19
Ben, you're absolutely correct. And the system is inherently wrong as we are in hands of lawyers - the society is the victim of greed... :vgrumpy: