PDA

View Full Version : Clarkson on the S6 - OUCH!!!

Vorsprung
October 22nd, 2006, 14:46
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12529-2413289_2,00.html

NOT GOOD....

Subzero
October 22nd, 2006, 15:57
i dont get it, do he think that this is the rs6. If the wants more power, buy the rs6

noushy
October 22nd, 2006, 16:05
What Clarkson says to some extent has been the complaint here in the US as well. I know we are Audi guys, so that means we are more tolerant of how they drive, because they suit us. That is why we buy Audis over BMW/MBs, etc. Anways, there are two things inherently wrong with the car. The first is the suspension which is too stiff. The previous S6 avant was too soft, and often poorly reviewed because of it. For that reason Audi swung the pendulum the other way, and I think over shot it. The second reason is the engine, which is a detuned v10, mainly because Audi does not want it to outperform the S8, and more so, step into the RS6 territory. But by doing so, they created a vehicle which does neither well (a sportier A6 or a supersedan/superwagon). I doubt they will sell a very large number of these, and that is just too bad. The build quality, the fit and finish, and what it offers (all wheel drive, v10, 430hp) are unique in the automotive world and I would love to see Audi sell more cars.

Noushy

Leadfoot
October 22nd, 2006, 19:32
I was always under the impression that the Gallardo engine was a development of the 4.2L V8 that is in the RS/S4 and all V8 A6 and A8s. They are all 90 degree vee engines so how come the Gallardo is 88 degree.:vhmmm:

I totally agree with his thoughts on the ride quality though, why can Audi not produce cars that not only handle well but have good ride quality as well and before everyone says what about the RS4 and the S8. Two cars out of hundreds is just the law of averages, sooner or later they are bound to hit the market at least once or twice.

I currently drove the new TT and like most read the reviews and had high hopes for the car, but was again disappointed with a ride quality much like my S4. On re-reading the reviews these tests were done with magnetic ride and not the standard springs and all tests since have thought the same as me. When Audi can get so much right with their cars why does the ride puzzle them, hell even VW can get it right with the R32 and the GTI.

Hy Octane
October 22nd, 2006, 19:54
The V10 never made sense to me as the A6 line dosent offer one. So, why didnt they just put the supertuned RS4 v8 in the thing and leave the v10's to the top of the line?
A really dumb decision.. makes ya wonder if their marketing team really understands the market..

Mori
October 22nd, 2006, 21:26
It was a marketing decision. BMW came out with the V10 in the M5 and the papers were going on with that BS that its a F1 engine in a saloon. That catchy phrase probably got BMW a few extra customers and Audi wanted in on the cake.

Thats my guess.

I drove the S6 on the track 2 days ago (read my review in the RS4 forum) and was not disappointed by the suspension, but then - the tarmac there was perfect. :)

AndyBG
October 22nd, 2006, 21:54
This is just what I expected from him...

Leadfoot
October 22nd, 2006, 21:54
Track tarmac is as good as it gets, F1 cars run with millimeters of clearance not inches that road cars do, so if the S6 couldn't pull it off there then there would be something seriously wrong.

I don't see what wrong with a V10 in a saloon car, Merc have been doing the V12 thing for years. The only thing wrong with both the BMW and the Audi models are that they are not as well balanced as the lesser models in the range. The Audi especially was IMO added on the back of the sales of M5, as a stay gap before the RS6 is ready and I think the car was not as well developed as the RS4 and as such doesn't produce the same glowing reviews.

I only hope is that they don't make the same mistake with the RS6, especially as they have been very busy getting the R8 production ready.

Aronis
October 22nd, 2006, 22:02
The formula was good....displacement plus twin turbo plus AWD. Could have just TT the V8 from the RS4....keep it simple....

Mike

Duma
October 22nd, 2006, 22:15
I really don't understand thay guy....

nene
October 23rd, 2006, 05:19
You just can't please everyone. I'm sure anyone that buys the S6, will be extremely happy with it. My only complaint is the choice in wheels! ...And so what... Nothing a little aftermarket purchase can't help!

AndyBG
October 23rd, 2006, 13:05
You just can't please everyone. I'm sure anyone that buys the S6, will be extremely happy with it. My only complaint is the choice in wheels! ...And so what... Nothing a little aftermarket purchase can't help!

Good point, alltough, I don't have a problem with it's wheels design, not a best i'w seen but not that bad, anyway, good point.

Leadfoot
October 23rd, 2006, 17:21

I don't know if this statement was directed to me or Mr Clarkson, but as those of us on this site who live in the UK know that our B roads are bloody awful and a bone shaking ride does give us concern. I doubt that the S6 will be any worse than my S4 and as such I would still regard it a better car than the M5 for all of it's other great points, but this is still something that Audi has to address with their sporty models. After getting loan cars from the dealers when mine is in getting a service and find the lesser models to ride way better it always make me feel why should the best of the range be the worse for comfort.

Benman
October 23rd, 2006, 19:05
You just can't please everyone.

Well, years back Clarkson said he'd pick the RS 6 over the AMG E55 (which he owned at the time) so he's all good in my book!:bye2: :applause:

Ben:addict:

bbigman2000
October 25th, 2006, 21:52
I agree clarkson say it like it is with regard to the S6.

noushy
October 25th, 2006, 23:41
I have had the same feeling in regards to the ride in their top models. But remember this is also true to BMW cars as well. We had a 540i sport with the M-technic suspension (same as M5) and an X5 4.4i sport and both of them were awful in michigan roads. Whenever we received a loaner car, I always kept wondering why we didn't get the non-sport model. This is the same for my RS6. They have loaned me a 2.7T S-line, an allroad, many A4 models, and even an S4 cab, and they all rode better than my RS6. This is the problem when designing a sports sedan, a vehicle which serves a multipurpose. Sports cars can be really stiff, and people tolerate it because they are built to handle, but sports sedans are usually for people who need to take a family, or use their vehicles everyday, and these need to deal with bad roads, and the daily drive. In addition, most sports sedans weigh much more than sports cars, and that makes designing the suspension much more difficult, something that handles like a sports car, drives like a daily driver, and has to carry much more weight. I have driven a CLS63, and that had an amazing ride for a vehicle geared towards performance. Yes it had more body roll, but I am willing to deal with that for the benefit of the ride, and the practicality of taking my family out and not being annoyed with the bump...bump...bump...whack...bump of michigan roads.

My two cents
Noushy

rks838
October 26th, 2006, 05:52
Sounds to me like he was being accused of favoring Audi too much. I have trouble believing this is what Jeremy actually thinks about the S6 "utterly, utterly useless." Bullshit...and the ride is just not that bad. It really isn't. It sounds as though he had to hit a quick deadline, and wrote everything bad he could possibly think of. Not one mention of half of the car (i.e., the interior, where the driver spends his time)? In an Avant, the basic point of which is to transport family and luggage in comfort? OK, maybe the ride is bad, but what about the other 10,000 dimensions of the car? I hope Clarkson is embarrassed.

Leadfoot
October 26th, 2006, 07:56
noushy,

Thanks for seeing sense. There is a way to fix the problem and that is Magnetic Ride, it's set-up give both comfort and handling all in one package.

noushy
October 28th, 2006, 16:39
Leadfoot, you are right in that technology is getting better for that area (suspension technology). Magnetic Ride is one of the best things to come out of GM/Delco. Sad that such a huge manufacturer usually makes such crummy products. Magneride is so good in fact that Ferrari is using it in their new 599. Amazing, that Ferrari would use something made from GM. The question is will Audi/VAG use it. I hope that the newer S/RS cars improve on this area, since I really want to keep owning an Audi. Last night I went out with a friend, took the RS6 our for the first time in two weeks. He sadly stated that he was going to miss the car, since it is just so good in the rain, and it really has grown on him too. I am also looking forward to the forum members who have a new S6 to discuss their opinions about the ride as well. I hope Audi is listening.

Noushy

rubyblack
October 29th, 2006, 06:10
Clarkson - anagram for Tosser IMO......:argue: :addict:

Leadfoot
October 29th, 2006, 11:40
noushy,

From what I have heard GM's version is at best only regarded as OK. Ferrari has taken it on-board and run with it, producing a suspension that cope not only well with track use but also ride well for what is an overtly sporty supercar and not a GT (Grand Tourer). As yet I haven't experienced the system for myself but all reports from members who has and my sources state it is amazing and a product that everyone who is considering a TT at present should tick this option before all others. One people best described the difference between standard and it as the difference between sport and comfort mode on a Cayenne Turbo without the extra lean into the corners.

Aronis
October 29th, 2006, 21:30
I mentioned the Magneride issues with Audi a Year ago....issue of licensing...etc..

When I first read about the Magnetic Adjusted Shocks use in the Caddy's and Vette, it was clear that such things would be in ALL CARS just like Anti Lock Breaks did.

The first version was already GREAT from a handling standpoint....and version two three, four, etc, will be AMAZING.

In three or four years a run-of-the-mill Hundia will be handling like a Ferrari! Wide tires will be a thing of the past...which as Caddy found out on the STS you can still have great handling and narrow tires for 1. less road noise and 2. better fuel economy.

When will the Aftermarket Crowd make a kit for any car?????

Mike

noushy
October 30th, 2006, 00:58
Boy that tells you how out of the loop I am. I did not even know that Audi was going to offer it on any model. Then again, I am not that interested in the TT, it just does not suit my needs. A small two seater is great for a single man, or as an extra car (or single woman). I just need something a little more practical, now the A5 or A7 or better yet a RS5 or RS7 would be awesome.

Noushy

Lateknight
October 31st, 2006, 23:48
Quote from article......
You’ve got a high compression ratio of 12.5:1 for glorious reserves of torque, you’ve got direct fuel injection, continuously adjustable camshafts, and the 10 pistons have 5.2 litres of space to move around in. Yum yum.

The mans openly admited on numerous occasions that he doesn't know anything about engines (or any other mechanical element of a modern car) and yet he can write the above statement as if he knows what he's talking about.
The man is full of 's + hit'.
How he's got so popular spouting on about cars baffles me.
The mans not even a reasonably talented driver - at least 10 celebs have beaten his time around the Top Gear track - and how many times has he been round that.
I've never driven an S6 so I cannot personally comment on the car, but it cannot be that bad.
Seems to me he was blown off by an Audi when he was on his way to pick up the car in his own Ford GT (if it started) :lovl:
Wrote the article as some sort of petty revenge.
The mans a talentless dick, that survives on being controversial, nothing more.