PDA

View Full Version : RS6 and the General Public

Prince Ace
October 22nd, 2006, 01:46
Having been in cars that get 'noticed', an RS 6 doesn't get much in the way of public ogling (purely I think because most are naive as to what it is).

But when I have received comments its been really direct and in some cases hilarious !

Today .... Whilst refuelling.
Car stops while exiting the forecourt, reverses, chap comes out, walks towards me and says .. 'is that real?'

Other ones ... Someone keeps coming up to my bumper in 30mph traffic, only for me to realise that he is trying to take a picture from his mobile phone camera of my boot?

Another one, comes up to the passenger side then brakes goes around and comes to the driver side. (A BMW 330 convertible driver), pulls his window down and says (while I'm thinking maybe a manoevour of mine has upset him on an overtake) 'I like those .. I really like those' pulls his window down and races off?

Otherwise, it wouldn't be noticed for days .........(not that I want it too, but it's really interesting when it is)

...Is it REAL ???? lol - what people put fake badges on non RS cars?!!!

I'm sure you guys have got better ones to tell ! :)

S6LANA
October 23rd, 2006, 02:50
However, it seems like only a small portion of the population actually knows what it is. I've gotten the "Is that real," the camera pics (another tonight as I picked up dinner), the thumbs up, the "treatment" at the dealership too.

But, my two favorites had to do with the police. The first happened when I was at a stoplight during this summer with the windows open. I hear "nice car." I turn to see two cops in a cruiser admiring my car. He says, "is that like the S4?" He also wanted to know what was under the hood and how much it was. He loved the sound-enhanced exhaust.

They were truly awed by the car. As the light turned green, the cop says "let's race" and guns his cruiser while he and his partner laughed, because they knew what would happen if we raced. I peeled off right not wanting to test their kindness :)

The second happened on a major highway in NJ. I crossed an intersection as the last car before the light turned. I was in the slow lane at the back of the pack. As the other light turned and traffic started catching up to me I noticed another cruiser in my rearview just hanging back at my driver-side bumper. He trailed me for about 1/2 mile like that before pulling behind me. At that point, I realized he was running my license plate, which cops around here like to do when they are looking for a stolen car or a reason to bust your balls. After about another 1/4 mile he guns it and sits a car length off my front driver side bumper.

Now, I see that he is actively turning around to get a look at me. At that point, my exit was coming up close and I wanted no part of getting pulled over. Just as I'm about to peel off right and exit, he jams his brakes to move behind me. But, he was going too fast as I hit the exit and couldn't get behind me in time to exit with me.

Even though I'm sure he was going to stop me for some reason, it felt good knowing that he did it, because he recognized what the car was.

The RS6 is as close to being a celeb as I'll ever get, so I enjoy it.

Enjoy yours too!

Rob
:addict:

nene
October 23rd, 2006, 05:08
That is one of the things I find appealing about the RS6: its sleeper factor!

When I take the Jags out, everyone looks. Which I sort of want them too, given that they are flashier. However, on the RS6, I just want them to notice the growl, and not realize what hides beneath!

Prince Ace
October 23rd, 2006, 13:19
Awesome !!! .. You know thats one of the greatest things about these forums. You get to hear these stories from around the world, different experiences within different cultures .. Wicked !!! (as they say where I'm from!).

I've had mine for about a month now .. and I'm finally starting to understand the full potential of the beast !

I find that the Eastern Europeans (Balkans) in London seem to be more RS aware. !
My experiences anyway.

:rs6kiss:

gjg
October 23rd, 2006, 14:13
mine is debadged, but people who know they know, occasionaly you get some remarks like "is that regular rs6 or plus?" - chaps obviously knew what they are looking at. 99% of time you are just another station wagon and that's fine with me .. :thumb:

Aronis
October 23rd, 2006, 15:50
That NJ story is funny. Mine is not.

I was down in NJ for a meeting last year, went into Stamford for dinner with old friends and on the way back to the hotel I made the mistake of following my co-pilot who said "go straight", instead of getting off the first exit over the GW bridge....
So....ended up on the longest stretch of friggen highway I have seen which did not have a GD exit......finally got to a turn around point, went over the overpass, came to a T (left to highway ramp, right to don't know, don't care)- a guy in a truck sitting at the stop sign to the right, I turned to the left, no stop sign on my part of the T. So I head down the ramp, and next thing I know a raised pickup is chasing me down the on-ramp. Pulls beside me, tries to side swipe me....gets in front, hits the brakes.....

So here we are in an RS6 being accosted by some unknown NJ asshole who is now flashing a "Badge" like I am going to stop for that BS...

So where the hell are the State Troopers? Where is a GD exit?

What else to do, OUT RUN THE MOTHER F()*)*ER. XXX mph, he pursues....I'm on On-Star trying to get some help...just waiting for this dumb bastard to pull a gun.....XXX+20...(Not going to admit the speed in writing) YYY....ZZZ...ZZZ+++....he's gone, .....so where are the cops when you need them....

The guy with me was unaware of the speed...until he looked over...YIKES.....

So the RS6 can attract some bad characters who want to Car Jack you in NJ.

The next day while stopping at an RS6 dealer on the way back north, to get some oil and filters for my RS6, the guy I am with sees an A8 in the show room.....next thing I know he has his Mastercard out and leases the A8. "May not be as fast as your car, but hell, I can't do that in my SUV." LOL.

Mike...

SpinEcho
October 24th, 2006, 01:47
Basically, no-one here knows what this car is. In the 2 1/2 years I've had it, maybe 2 or 3 people have behaved like they recognized it on the open road, and no-one has approached me at a gas station or elsewhere to inquire. Cops ignore it.

And that's why I like this car so much...

:rs6kiss:

JAXRS6
October 24th, 2006, 04:15
Folks from teens to their 80s have complimented my mugello blue beast over three years of ownership. Not daily but often enough, and always with enthusiasm. Some give thumbs up, some roll down a window to say "beautiful car!", some wonder if it's "really an RS6," two or three have said "That's my favorite all-time car!" while others ask without knowing. Here's one of the latest:

http://forums.audiworld.com/rs6/msgs/30175.phtml

absent
October 24th, 2006, 16:48
I'm driving SL65 as daily driver now and no one would give even a glance at it.
It's like driving a grey Taurus,almost invisible.
I'm serious....

Aronis
October 25th, 2006, 01:26
Nice Car...

I'll Notice It.

Mike

I'm serious....

JavierNuvolari
October 25th, 2006, 01:53
I'm serious....

Perhaps everyone thinks its just another expensive Merc...I know I would know what car is. Since no one notices what your car actually is....do you have any similar/funny stories like the above ?

Saludos!

Javier

newmarketnow
November 4th, 2006, 13:53
"You pulled away from me as if I was standing still"

from a local cop after I unknowingly pulled out in front of him (at night) and went through a few gears.

rubyblack
November 5th, 2006, 03:57

from a local cop after I unknowingly pulled out in front of him (at night) and went through a few gears.

:thumb: Almost an epitaph to the lovely :addict: :applause:

Dan't ya just love em???? :dig:

Prince Ace
November 5th, 2006, 12:08

That's my quote of the week ! .. awesome :burnout:

Bingocaller
November 5th, 2006, 23:55
I'm serious....

Trust me I would give you a glance or two if I saw you :0:

rks838
November 12th, 2006, 01:59
In Washington, D.C., drivers of S and RS Audis, M BMWs, and slightly-souped VWs, like the GTI and Jetta GLI, definitely notice. But otherwise, nobody notices...unless you stomp the pedal. The sound is, still, incredible. Of note, some AMG Mercedes drivers notice, but most don't...

steffenr
November 12th, 2006, 21:53
I notice all Audis, espacially RS's, I was out shopping yesterday here in Copenhagen, and sudenly I hear this deep really agressiv V8, just roaring thru the small street, which causes me to stop up, and wait for the car to reach me, and was it a grey RS6 on danish plates (used price aprox. 200k$), that is such a nice car:love2: :love2:

bbigman2000
November 14th, 2006, 00:11
I have actually only had ONE person come upto me and say "you having fun ?" I just looked at him bemused LOL

Then it finally clicked, he meant the car, I was fuelling up on the M6 at the time, and he then launched into a speech about how avants were better !!

Ive yet to encounter anyone who has any actual knowledge of RS6's !!

My girlfreind calls it a celebritiy car !

Loads of people have commented about the car, and they always enquire about the mpg and the engine size, its well out with most peoples budget in my area, they are more concerned about mpg than smiles per gallon !!

Aronis
November 14th, 2006, 01:22
I have actually only had ONE person come upto me and say "you having fun ?" I just looked at him bemused LOL

Then it finally clicked, he meant the car, I was fuelling up on the M6 at the time, and he then launched into a speech about how avants were better !!
!

having trouble following you there!

Yes, An M6 VERY FUN....LOL...but did you mean RS6?

Mike

bbigman2000
November 14th, 2006, 02:13
heh heh no mate, the M6 is a minor motor way that runs the length of England !!

Sorry, im getting far to used to posting on these forums !

Aronis
November 14th, 2006, 02:54
now that explains it..

I'm heading out to gas up at the 911....oh, my 911, no, at 7-11.....LOL..

Mike

Prince Ace
November 14th, 2006, 03:16
heheheh .. thats what I love about the forums ... different parts of the world, different roads even - ONE RS6 ! :thumb:

I've got a nod or two when I've surprised a few bikers ! No match for a fast bike off the mark but it pretty much catches up ! ;-)

bbigman2000
November 14th, 2006, 08:16
heh heh brilliant mike !

baino
November 18th, 2006, 01:50

Ive yet to encounter anyone who has any actual knowledge of RS6's !!

My girlfreind calls it a celebritiy car !

Loads of people have commented about the car, and they always enquire about the mpg and the engine size, its well out with most peoples budget in my area, they are more concerned about mpg than smiles per gallon !!

IF i ever see you about ill come up and aknowledge the car ;)

im a huge RS6 fan and im all about smiles per gallon over mpg :incar: :thumb:

bbigman2000
November 18th, 2006, 04:29
baino, no trouble mate, anytime, doubt il be in Glasgow but you never know :)

Kev.S
November 18th, 2006, 10:02
Stealth looks and rarity value keeps the RS6 low profile. It caused far more attention in France and Belgium, especially from bikers for some reason, than it ever did in the UK! In a trip to Berlin last summer, I didn't see another. People ignored it until they heard the engine start, then the next thing they did was look at the brakes and then their jaws dropped. Funnily enough, my S8 gets far more attention.

Prince Ace
November 18th, 2006, 18:07
Stealth looks and rarity value...

Couldn't agree more ! :thumb:

I've had my beast for about 2 months, a couple of trips up and down England and mainly confined to London and its suburbs, I haven't seen another RS6 yet! ...

You never know bbigman 2000, I'm lining up a trip around Scotland .. your's maybe my first ! :burnout:

bbigman2000
November 21st, 2006, 19:36
heh heh your welcome mate, anytime, you'll be lucky to see mine on the road though, shes in a heated garage as we speak, and comes out only on dry days for a little run :)

LIRS6
November 21st, 2006, 20:17
A guy in an A4 once asked me where I got the skirt kit

Aronis
November 21st, 2006, 23:46
A guy in an A4 once asked me where I got the skirt kit

:doh: :doh: :applause: :applause:

James Wyatt
November 22nd, 2006, 08:53
Also live in London and still get the odd quizzical look especially from builders! Even had someone think it was an RS4. However, it is less of a rarity in my area as I drive past three RS6s (mugello saloon, daytona saloon and black avant) parked up on the way to work!

:addict: