PDA

View Full Version : ok. this one should be good. V8 R8 vs 997C4S or 997TT?

RXBG
October 19th, 2006, 20:07
the C4s would have to include the 15K "power pack" (good for 380 hp).

imo the r8 fits exactly between these two, both in power and price and performance (with price adjustments for the "porsche" name premium, of course).

i'm curious to know how these cars are/will be seen in relation to one another over in the old continent. i'd love to hear your thoughts. i think that, in general, the V8 R8 is destined to compete with the 997 TT. but as an even more livable 24/7 alternative.

:eye:

m3fan
October 19th, 2006, 22:27
I think the R8 V10 would compete with the 911TT not the V8. The R8 4.2 should go head to head with the 911 S or the C4S not sure about the 911GT3.

SoCal
October 19th, 2006, 22:54
I think the R8 V10 would compete with the 911TT not the V8. The R8 4.2 should go head to head with the 911 S or the C4S not sure about the 911GT3.

R8 V8 would compete with 911 C4 and C4S.

R8 V10 might compete with 911TT depending on performance.

911GT3 is different animal: RWD and more stripped for track, though less so than in the past. Not many GT3 owners will consider switching from Porsche.

Even if the R8 is as wonderful as we all hope, I think it will hurt Porsche less than you might think. The corporate chieftains at Porsche and Audi have been careful to keep Porsche true to its roots in look and feel, while the aggressively modern styling of the R8 will likely appeal to a different buyer.

AndyBG
October 20th, 2006, 13:57
the C4s would have to include the 15K "power pack" (good for 380 hp).

..., in general, the V8 R8 is destined to compete with the 997 TT. but as an even more livable 24/7 alternative.

First, it's 381 hp ! ;) :thumb:

Second, how can R8 be ''more livable 24/7'' than 911/997 Turbo?

911 has all those things that R8 has, and even more, such as two litle seats in the back....

And I must say, less agresive apirance than AUDI, yet lot's more tourque and low rews useble power...

I love R8, but just don't think it's beating Porsche in many categories...

RXBG
October 20th, 2006, 17:41
oh andy. i disagree.

the magnetic ride in the audi, i predict, is in a different league than porsche's system. lighter and can adapt faster. further, the audi interior is way better than porsche's spartan, clunky, ungracious interior (note: this is not releated to the funtionality of the layout, mind you.)

the R8 interior is also more spacious for the 2 front occupants. (and when do you ever use the rear porsches' seats?). i didn't have the time to copy and paste the dimensions but you can see for yourself.

all in all the audi is more comfortable without being more compromised imo......

Leadfoot
October 20th, 2006, 18:22
Have just read EVO's piece on the R8 and the bit where they talk to Audi Boss about the car and it's rivals. Firstly it's a compelling case the R8 is putting forward for the title of best everyday usable supercar. Like RXBG says, it's interior space is more than the Porsche and like the 997, there is room behind the seats for two golf bags and there is also more room in the front boot than a 997 C4S. The Audi Boss states that magnetic ride is the very first option that everyone should tick as it's possibly the best suspension system out there to combine the two roles of comfort and handling (so why isn't it standard then).

Secondly, this is not like any other Audi in current years or for that matter like the standard Gallardo. This Audi has a ESP system that not only has two stages, first removing traction control and broadening the envelope of the ESP but also total removal of both systems altogether and I mean total, unlike the Lambo which doesn't totally let go. This is something that all of us have been wanting for a every lone time and I hope points to a change in Audi's view of what it's sporty cars should offer.

Performance wise, both cars are very close.

R8 Top speed - 187mph vs C4S - 179mph
0-60mph R8 - 4.6secs vs C4S - 4.8secs
Power to weight 269bhp vs 256bhp

Torque wise the Audi has a little more but this is produced at 5500rpm, a lot higher than the Porsche.

It's going to be to close to call as to which will get the vote from the mags that will test them together, but my guts says that the Porsche will still get the vote but I would reckon that some of the testers will choose the Audi first as the better all-rounder and possibly the quickest at the track as well but entertainment wise the porsche will win it and to many that is most important.

I'll be a politician and says which ever one you pick, you will be on to a winner.:D

Leadfoot
October 20th, 2006, 21:42
Sorry, mis-print on the power to weight ratio of the C4S. Should have been 241bhp/ton instead of 256bhp/ton.:doh: What is plunker.

JaXx
October 21st, 2006, 15:34
I think Audi is aiming for bmw m6 customers ..

Leadfoot
October 21st, 2006, 17:15

No, I reckon it's a bit higher than that. The R8 is a full blooded supercar not a big boat with an almighty engine. We should even think of it as a sportscar, just a cut and shut M5 with the rear doors welded.:hihi:

m3fan
October 21st, 2006, 17:41

M6, XLR-V, Maserati Gransport, SL550, Aston Martin AMV8, 08-09 Skyline GTR,
Super Z06, 911 S, 911 C4S. They should all be in the R8 class not just for performance but price range.