PDA

View Full Version : R8 vs L-FA vs GT-R

RXBG
October 18th, 2006, 16:04
three interesting and fast new cars. the latter two due to be out a few months after the R8 hits peoples' homes.

i predict the R8 may be quite competitive with both, even with just "425" hp. i still hope the R8 will do 0-60 in 4.2 without problems. the main advantage will be traction form a standing start vs the LF-A and better handling vs the GT-R (which will have AWD like the last one)....

what do you think?

AndyBG
October 18th, 2006, 17:00
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but for me between these three cars Audi R8 is only solution...

Nothing more to ad...

Benman
October 18th, 2006, 17:06
what do you think?

I think this is a very interesting comparison that I haven't given much prior thought to... until you brought it up. ;)

The Lexus will be @ the same price ($90Kish) so won't beat it in pricing...GT-R is rumored sub $80K, so will be the "bargain" of the lot (if you can call a $80K Nissan a bargain...).

Performance wise, all are rumored/claimed 400+hp class and weights are being projected as similar (3400-3600lbs) so I doubt either will have a clear edge over the others.

The Skyline is the one I am second most interested in with the Lexus in dead last. Not because of the L-FA or whatever it will be called, being a "bad" car, just doesn't have any "history" behind it. Of the three, The GT-R has the most behind a specific name. Yes, the R8 has 7 Le Mans wins in a row (please, the Bentley win was an R8 win), but the GT-R name has been around for decades and has a huge following even in the States. The Lexus, what does it have? Nothing. Closest thing is the Supra heritage. But then, it won't be a "Supra" so will be possibly snubbed by "true" Supra fans.

The biggest hurdle will be if people are willing to shell out $80K for a Nissan. VW found out a valuable lesson that is is far easier to go down market than it is to go up market when they sold the Phaeton here. In fact, Paldi seems to be the only Phaeton owner in America!:applause: (all in good fun Paldi. :D). WIll Nissan learn the same sad lesson? I sure hope not as the GT-R is a far more exciting car than the sedate Phaeton that VW sold.

Back to you... thoughts?

Ben:addict:

Leadfoot
October 18th, 2006, 17:55
Gut feeling is that the Nissan is be the one to watch. Yes it has the heritage but it also have a Japan Brand name and as such won't bother the R8 for sales. I seriously doubt that the R8 will work with the GTR on a twisty track as Nissan has had years to perfect it awd system down to a point that IMHO is the most advance system bar none.

The only saving grace is that spotty nosed kids will be trying the race the GTR with their EVOs and Subarus more than what they will be with a R8. So RXBG you will be spared this heart-ache.:hihi:

RXBG
October 18th, 2006, 18:38
i found it interesting b/c they will all be brand new models.

i also find the gt-r to be very intriguing. it will have a very powerful TT V6. imagine the mod potential. it will be the one most likely to embarass an r8 (if modded), and if only b/c it will cost so much less. i liken the gt-r to r8 scenario to the evo/sti to s4 scenario..... both cars will be rare, the r8 more so than the gt-r of course, but i am sure the gt-r owner who paid 70k for it will be itching for a run against a 110k r8 if he ever sees one.....

the lf-a will likely be a bit quicker since it will be higher powered than the r8 and weigh the same or less but its quirky good looks will be no match for the r8's imo. once the V10 R8 arrives there will be no chance for the lf-a. the only thing lf-a owners will be able to brag about is the smaller amount of money they spent.

back to the v8 r8. i think it'll out handle the gt-r. simply because it is a rear-mid engine design. and i feel that these are superior to the front-mid engine designs when accelerating given their slight rear weight bias, which can also be an asset in the turns. i am not an engineer by any means so someone with more knowledge please add to this.

in the end the r8 will be the most desirable. i think it will do everything the best. the gt-r will be the more hard-core and least liveable (esp. if modded) and the lexus not quite as impeccably designed. i predict the lexus will be two skewed, in some respects too plush and in other, non-complementary ones, too hard-core.

gt-r- the strong, hard-bodied, sexy woman in the room who does one thing well in bed but is lousy company at the opera and amongst your friends.

lf-a- the femenist, intellectual, high-profile dame with impeccable manners but a complicated mind. the one that is eternally unhappy because she is at odds with her identity. she wants to be a lady but doesn't know how. and that makes her no good when the lights go out.

r8- the girl of my dreams. almost everyone loves her. and she's never out of place.

JavierNuvolari
October 18th, 2006, 20:01
i found it interesting b/c they will all be brand new models.

i also find the gt-r to be very intriguing. it will have a very powerful TT V6. imagine the mod potential. it will be the one most likely to embarass an r8 (if modded), and if only b/c it will cost so much less. i liken the gt-r to r8 scenario to the evo/sti to s4 scenario..... both cars will be rare, the r8 more so than the gt-r of course, but i am sure the gt-r owner who paid 70k for it will be itching for a run against a 110k r8 if he ever sees one.....

the lf-a will likely be a bit quicker since it will be higher powered than the r8 and weigh the same or less but its quirky good looks will be no match for the r8's imo. once the V10 R8 arrives there will be no chance for the lf-a. the only thing lf-a owners will be able to brag about is the smaller amount of money they spent.

back to the v8 r8. i think it'll out handle the gt-r. simply because it is a rear-mid engine design. and i feel that these are superior to the front-mid engine designs when accelerating given their slight rear weight bias, which can also be an asset in the turns. i am not an engineer by any means so someone with more knowledge please add to this.

in the end the r8 will be the most desirable. i think it will do everything the best. the gt-r will be the more hard-core and least liveable (esp. if modded) and the lexus not quite as impeccably designed. i predict the lexus will be two skewed, in some respects too plush and in other, non-complementary ones, too hard-core.

gt-r- the strong, hard-bodied, sexy woman in the room who does one thing well in bed but is lousy company at the opera and amongst your friends.

lf-a- the femenist, intellectual, high-profile dame with impeccable manners but a complicated mind. the one that is eternally unhappy because she is at odds with her identity. she wants to be a lady but dooesn't know how. and that makes her no good when the lights go out.

r8- the girl of my dreams. almost everyone loves her. and she's never out of place.

I agree with you RXBG, the R8 will probably be the one with the best handling, however I must say that I wouldn't be surprised if the GT-R out runs the R8 on some tests...remember that the GT-R has been seen put up against the new 997TT and has a remarcable 4wheel drive sistem & steering.

All in all the R8, as you said, will be the most desirable of the 3, I am sort of a Nissan fan(my family business is on spare parts retail stores) and I have to say that I would take the R8 anyday no matter how much cheaper the maintance of the Nissan is:incar: .

Cheers all,

Javier

October 18th, 2006, 20:31
Neither of those cars in compareable to the R8. The GTR shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath. Don't give a crap about the straight line numbers, the corvette z06 exists for that. When honda makes a new NSX maybe the japanese will spark my interest but those two cars, the GTR especially, are much lower end overall packages.

Leadfoot
October 18th, 2006, 21:15
Guys,

If you think for one moment that the R8 will walk the GTR in the handling stakes then I seriously doubt any of you have got all your dogs barking. The first GTR was honed on the race tracks of Japan and Australia and later was the first production car to break the 8 minute barrier on the ring, this is still a major thing for a lot of manufactures naming Audi for one as their haven't done it yet. Technically the GTR will be more advanced than the R8 which though amazing will still be using a awd system which is basically 25 years old apart from a few minor changes.

Now don't get me wrong, I rate the quattro system as possibly the best all rounder and the most adaptable to make the transfer from off-road to on, but for purely road and track use the Nissan and EVO, their awd system will run rings around it, especially the Nissan one.

To the debate about which is better Mid-rear or Mid-front engined, yes I too would say mid-rear is ultimately the best, but as we have argued many a time on this forum, it's which is the easiest and most confidence inspiring to drive that ultimately make the fastest for the Joe-Average among us to drive. And on that note I would have to say that Mid-front would take that crown easily. All car with the engine heading to the rear are more likely to snap into oversteer than a car with the engine nearer the front.

This might sound like I would prefer the Nissan and the fact is that you couldn't be further from the truth. The R8 is IMO the best looking supercar on the market at the minute, yes there might be quicker or best handling models out there on the market, but it will be close enough and the fact that it will have the best interior, best looks and the best brand name are enough to win it for me.

m3fan
October 18th, 2006, 22:35
Lexus not sure because I haven't heard about there specs. The GTR is the legendary and probably fast than the R8 in a strait line. But handling I would say the R8. The GTR is a front engine versus the R8 mid rear. Looks is the R8 hands down. For pure speed in this price range, I would go with the new super Z06(650hp)

October 19th, 2006, 01:05
All this talk about the GT3 breaking 8 minutes isn't accurate as that was a tuned skyline. The stock skyline will not pull 996 turbo numbers on the ring.

Benman
October 19th, 2006, 01:24

I don't do opera, and friends are over-rated. ;)

Leadfoot
October 19th, 2006, 09:29
OK guys,

You reckon I am rating the GTR too highly. One question how many of you have driven one?.

I was totally amazing at how it could recover from truly possible slides and being awd the steering has almost as much feel as a 911.

Now if you have driven one and still feel that the R8 will out-handle it then that's a fair comment. Or better still, if you have driven a GTR and a Gallardo and still feel the same, then I will bow to your better judgement.

But remember one thing, this GTR is not based on a big heavy saloon car like the last ones, it though based around the 350Z (which is already a great handling car in it's own class) it's using a lot more alloy and might be using carbon as well so we should expect great things from this.

tazsura
October 19th, 2006, 10:30
Completely agree with Leadfoot guys,

The GTR will handle better than the R8. The previous generations have been nothing short of amazing in handling terms and the new one promises to be even better. I doubt the R8 will be able to match the sort of long-lurid slides that have been possible in the R34 et al simple because of it mid-engine layout and also the slighlty nannying controls of Audi.

As an all round package I doubt that either the L-FA or GTR will match the R8 however.

(P.S..where are the 'R8' smilies...?:vhmmm: )

Leadfoot
October 19th, 2006, 11:16
I would like to add that sources state that on it's first outing at the ring, it has already done a 7:58 lap of the ring. Engine wise, it's a 3.8L twin-turbo kicking out 480hp.

RXBG
October 19th, 2006, 15:52
i've been hearing reports of 7:50 around the ring for the V8 R8.

ben.....you are too funny. operas can be a glamorous turn-on on the first date!

m3fan
October 19th, 2006, 17:38
I still favor the R8 for handling. The R8's perfect weight distribution and lower center on gravity versus the GTR's power(and faster off the line). Either way the fastest car in the 100K area will be the super Z06. The super Z06 will have 650hp at about 3000lbs. Anyway, does anyone know if the R tronic shifts faster then a manual gearbox?

Leadfoot
October 19th, 2006, 18:12
i've been hearing reports of 7:50 around the ring for the V8 R8.

ben.....you are too funny. operas can be a glamorous turn-on on the first date!

The time is actually 7:53 something, but close enough. All this from a motor that is heavier and less powerful than a Gallardo and only 3 seconds slower. This time is by an Audi test driver so expect the official time to be closer to 8 minutes mark (plus or minus) as the RS4 did it in 7:58 and it official time is 8:09.

Anyway if it was slower I would still pick the R8 over any of the others. One has to keep the faith.

m3fan
October 19th, 2006, 19:36
The time is actually 7:53 something, but close enough. All this from a motor that is heavier and less powerful than a Gallardo and only 3 seconds slower. This time is by an Audi test driver so expect the official time to be closer to 8 minutes mark (plus or minus) as the RS4 did it in 7:58 and it official time is 8:09.

Anyway if it was slower I would still pick the R8 over any of the others. One has to keep the faith.

Why is the R8 heavier then the Gallardo? I thought the R8 was lighter because of it's 4.2 versus the Gallardo's 5.0. That sux for the R8 5.2

Benman
October 20th, 2006, 18:48
OK guys,

You reckon I am rating the GTR too highly. One question how many of you have driven one?.

Leadfoot, I certainly never implied you "overrated" the GT-R. I think RXBG is the only one here who "got" my comment. If anything, my opera comment was showing the GT-R would work just fine for me.;) :cheers:

Leadfoot
October 20th, 2006, 20:55
Leadfoot, I certainly never implied you "overrated" the GT-R. I think RXBG is the only one here who "got" my comment. If anything, my opera comment was showing the GT-R would work just fine for me.;) :cheers:

Ben, I know your comments weren't directed at me. You're too much of a gentleman and all round nice bloke.:thumb:

I was only stating that I wouldn't rule-out the GTR as a drive in the old one would confirm that to those who doubt it's potential.