PDA

View Full Version : USA R8 V8 price......

RXBG
October 17th, 2006, 03:25
would you gents complain if a FULLY loaded 2008 R8 cost 115K and change?

;)

nene
October 17th, 2006, 05:58
I'd pay if it came with the RS4 Euro Recaros!!! All the options that Euro gets, we should get, and I'd pay for it.
The one I saw in NY, I would not pay 115K for it!

Skaala
October 17th, 2006, 14:19
how much price difference would it be, if you imported a euro model yourselves from ex. germany?

KK265
October 17th, 2006, 14:40
how much price difference would it be, if you imported a euro model yourselves from ex. germany?
Is it possible for someone to import a euro specification model to US?

Skaala
October 17th, 2006, 14:45

well... we are allowed to buy cars from america... arn't they allowed to buy cars from europe?

Benman
October 17th, 2006, 17:40

Sure, just have a lot of patience and a lot of $$$.

Assuming fully loaded R8 costs $115K USD here and a fully loaded R8 costs 115K Euro ($143K USD) in Germany, then right there, it ain't worth it. Now add the ridiculous charges our government (with respect to the poor citizens of some countries), you'd have to tack on an additional $15-$20K on top of that. And then have to jump through hoops and wait months, maybe more for your car to be "approved".

So $115 USD versus $160K+ USD... for me, not worth it at all...

There's a method to the madness. ;)

Ben:addict:

Skaala
October 17th, 2006, 18:02
Sure, just have a lot of patience and a lot of $$$.

Assuming fully loaded R8 costs $115K USD here and a fully loaded R8 costs 115K Euro ($143K USD) in Germany, then right there, it ain't worth it. Now add the ridiculous charges our government (with respect to the poor citizens of some countries), you'd have to tack on an additional $15-$20K on top of that. And then have to jump through hoops and wait months, maybe more for your car to be "approved".

So $115 USD versus $160K+ USD... for me, not worth it at all...

There's a method to the madness. ;)

but when you take the car out of the EU, you get all the EU taxes refunded because you pay your own countries taxes when you import it, so the price gap wouldn't be that big....

gregoryindiana
October 18th, 2006, 01:06
because of US safety and emmision certification requirements, which would far exceed the cost savings of the refund of VAT. And you have to post a bond to customs and the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) guaranteeing the work would be done, and then you have to find someone qualified to do the conversion, and pay them to do it. Then all the conversion has to be tested at your expense. And finally, if US authorities aren't satisfied that it will pass crash regulations, then you have to have a car crashed to prove it. You would say that a US spec R8 is proof, but Audi will not back you up; they want you to buy a US spec car.

Nobody does this stuff nowadays for this price level of cars. Only a few have been done; Porsche 959; a series of them about 6 cars were converted. And someone does convert the Mercedes Gwagen for years, when it wasn't officiallly imported here. There were gray market Porsche turbos when it didn't come here from 1980 to about 1984 or thereabouts. Those cars had some fly by night conversions, and so are worth less than US spec turbos now in the US market, as they might not pass inspection if emissions testing is required when they are resold.

We just have to hope and influence Audi USA to bring in the right seats and the right equipment. I sure hope a manual trans, or a true DSG clutchless manual is on the menu, because that is what I want. The RS6 can cope with the Tiptronic, but it is not in the R8 character.

GNXJerry
October 18th, 2006, 04:12
Why is everyone so concerned about import red tape? With over 25 million illegal immigrants in the U.S., getting a Euro-spec Audi across the border should
be a piece of cake. Besides with quattro traction, they have to catch you first.

Benman
October 18th, 2006, 16:36
Why is everyone so concerned about import red tape? With over 25 million illegal immigrants in the U.S., getting a Euro-spec Audi across the border should
be a piece of cake.

And there you have it, it is far easier to sneak in people into this country than a car... plain and simply (it is also far cheaper!).

gregoryindiana sums up nicely what I touched on. It is too "insane" to actually walk down the path of importing a black/grey market car. Like all government intervention, they actually create more problems then they solve by all the red tape in place. Of course that red tape is there to "protect" us from "evil" overseas merchants who care nothing of our safety and would sell us subpar vehicles that do not "conform" to the "lofty" safety standards of the US government...:harass: Please...

m3fan
October 18th, 2006, 22:36
Does anyone know the shifting speed of the R tronic for the R8. I just wanted to know how it compared to the DSG's 20 mili sec. shifting.

Erik
October 18th, 2006, 22:40
The R8 uses the same gearbox as the Gallardo.

Sunny
October 19th, 2006, 01:19
would you gents complain if a FULLY loaded 2008 R8 cost 115K and change?

;)

Yes, I would. $50K premuim over a RS4? screw that. Especially with the new GTR around the corner...

chewym
October 19th, 2006, 04:02
Well, if there are about 20,000 dollars of options in there then it would be were I thought it should start of with. Yes, if you want to legally import the Euro R8 it would cost you several millions.

sleepera8
March 4th, 2007, 07:19
no not really. although the R8 is beautifully designed car, I'm not sure I'd every buy it. Basically it's the same engine I have in the S4 but tuned for more power, now put a v8 or 10TDI or some such engine. It's a great looking car for people who can't afford super cars. I think I'd buy a 360 modena instead(and I don't like the 360).

I can think of better ways to spend 115k on car....like take RS4 and get larger turbos.

Leadfoot
March 4th, 2007, 13:05
The price is a problem mainly because it's new ground for Audi and we all feel it's a little over price, but if this was a Gallardo at that price you will all be jumping for joy.....why, they are basically the same car but for the engine and to tell the truth the R8 is much better built, will be more reliable, looks better, quite possibly handles better, is more practical, a much better daily drive and will no doubt hold it's money better.

When put it perspective the R8 is a steal.:wo:

Believe it or not the only fly in the ointment is the possibility that the v10 will only be $25K more and that leaves the dilemma of which to buy.:vhmmm:

sleepera8
March 4th, 2007, 18:14
The price is a problem mainly because it's new ground for Audi and we all feel it's a little over price, but if this was a Gallardo at that price you will all be jumping for joy.....why, they are basically the same car but for the engine and to tell the truth the R8 is much better built, will be more reliable, looks better, quite possibly handles better, is more practical, a much better daily drive and will no doubt hold it's money better.

When put it perspective the R8 is a steal.:wo:

Believe it or not the only fly in the ointment is the possibility that the v10 will only be $25K more and that leaves the dilemma of which to buy.:vhmmm:

well if it was those 2 choices, I'd go Audi. On initial instinct, as Lambo, have been known to be great 'look at me' cars, but pretty much useless as far as driving(other then a straight line). Plus Lambo, for most part come w/ the italian, drive me, tune me, drive me, tune me - aspect of ownership.

2FST4CHP
March 4th, 2007, 20:55
Of course! It's really a no brainer for me.

http://www.fourtitude.com/gallery/albums//Features/Road%20Tests/2008%20R8%204.2/011.jpg

RXBG
March 5th, 2007, 17:16
i think it'll be possible to take delivery of one at just under 100K USD, sans tax. as long as it doesn't have the 8K R-tronic option. when you compare that to the price of a manual X51 911C4S it's pretty fair i think. since i think porsches are overpriced a bit anyway.

USD 114,620 buys you the above porche, with the options:

X51, nav, full leather seats, park assist, BOSE, dimming mirrors, BT, metallic paint

the R8 will be a bargain.

Benman
March 5th, 2007, 18:36
the R8 will be a bargain.

In a way, I agree. The problem is people (i.e. Audi people) are seeing this as a RS 4 +$50K when they should be seeing it as a Gallardo -$50K

:cheers:

sleepera8
March 5th, 2007, 19:35
In a way, I agree. The problem is people (i.e. Audi people) are seeing this as a RS 4 +$50K when they should be seeing it as a Gallardo -$50K

agreed, it should't be listed in the same class a standard street car(911 x51, rs4, etc)

yet the price put it's there.