PDA

View Full Version : What type of engine will the V10 be?

Leadfoot
October 14th, 2006, 20:42
Does anyone know if the new V10 version of the R8 will have the new valvelift technology?

If like a lot of you have been reporting that this is indeed a new 5.0L engine and not the same as the S6/8's 5.2L from the Gallardo, then why not showcase it's flagship motor with it newest technology.

KresoF1
October 15th, 2006, 19:06
Few corrections first:
-Gallardo use 5.0L(4961ccm) V10 engine
-S6/S8 use 5.2L(5204ccm) V10 engine

Now, back to your subject...
According to my dealer there will be 5.2L V10 engine in R8(or R10??), it will be high-rev version of S6/S8 engine with at least 500hp(honestly he said more then 500hp to me) similar to high rev 4.2L V8 that is currently in R8. Dry sump, same in take system etc.
No Valvelift yet... Why? This system is not yet ready for truly high reving engines like 4.2L(or 5.2L). Maybe in few years time...

Leadfoot
October 15th, 2006, 20:36
Few corrections first:
-Gallardo use 5.0L(4961ccm) V10 engine
-S6/S8 use 5.2L(5204ccm) V10 engine

Now, back to your subject...
According to my dealer there will be 5.2L V10 engine in R8(or R10??), it will be high-rev version of S6/S8 engine with at least 500hp(honestly he said more then 500hp to me) similar to high rev 4.2L V8 that is currently in R8. Dry sump, same in take system etc.
No Valvelift yet... Why? This system is not yet ready for truly high reving engines like 4.2L(or 5.2L). Maybe in few years time...

KresoF1,

It wasn't an error when I said 5.2L from the Gallardo. It was more to state that there has been talk that Audi are developing a 5.0L of their own for use in the RS6 with turbos and the 5.2L was the engine out of the Gallardo only enlarged by Audi, I already knew that it was a 5.0L.

At present the Valvelift technology has only been seen in the Roadjet prototype and the soon to be released 2.8L for the A6. Both aren't high reving engines though its not stated that the technology is only suitable to these.

One thing I did learn about the R8 that is not about the engine is that major working to the rear was need to make the Gallardo frame suitable for the R8 and that the R8 uses a lot more race technology in comparation. Also the R-Tronic is an up-dated version of E-gear that is every bit the equal of Ferrari's system.

RXBG
October 15th, 2006, 23:16
i wouldn't be surprised if the RS6 engine is a 5.0 L (based on gallardo) with twin turbos................

chewym
October 16th, 2006, 07:57
I don't think that Audi will make a brand new V10 with allmost the exact same displacement. The 5.2 liter V10 uses the exact same bore and stroke as the 4.2 liter V8. I would imagine that if Audi would ever make a completely new generation of V engines (different [perhaps more square] bore and stroke) teh cylinders would be larger as the current V8 is very small compared to the competition. Actually I think that the original Lambo V10 could have been based on Audi's V8 engine with two additional two cylinders and slightly different stroke, but that is just a guess. About Valvelift, the Roadjet engine made about 95 hp @7,000 RPM, only 200 RPM higher than the current FSI V8 but as you said the 2.8 Valvelift V6 has a very low redline (detuned?) I think we will know what Valvelift delivers in more performance oriented versions when the A5 comes out.

Alex
October 16th, 2006, 15:53
why not use the engine from the koncept car? twin-turbo v10 ~600hp. It was ready for production in 2003 and made the audi le mans go from 0-60 in 3,2seconds.. :)

i think this engine will fit the new rs6, but with ~600+ hp.

:race:

RoelS
October 20th, 2006, 12:23
Actually I think that the original Lambo V10 could have been based on Audi's V8 engine with two additional two cylinders and slightly different stroke, but that is just a guess.

I remember reading somewhere, that the Lambo V10 is indeed an Audi V8 at heart. They added 2 cylinders, and apparently did something with the stroke of the engine.

Leadfoot
October 20th, 2006, 13:16
Am I not right in saying that the Lamborghini's engine doesn't have FSi.