PDA

View Full Version : Bang & Olufsen Sound System for the R8!

Ruergard
October 14th, 2006, 00:36
Yes, Bang & Olufsen have now worked out a sound system for the R8. Should sound pretty good! :hihi:

"Bang & Olufsen, the world wide provider of exclusive, high quality audio and video products, proudly introduces its second custom-made audio system for Audi Corporation, in its special debut of the new Audi R8 sports car.

Since 2005, when Bang & Olufsen introduced its first Advanced Sound System customized for the Audi A8 and S8, it has been receiving worldwide industry accolades and recognition for its dynamic listening experience. For example, it was voted 'best sound system' by a jury of 69 automotive journalists at the Auto Interiors Show in Detroit surrounding the 2006 Detroit Auto Show. Now, Bang & Olufsen has developed yet another exclusive audio system for the brand new sports car, Audi R8.

The joint vision of Audi and Bang & Olufsen, is to give the market the best sound system for the ultimate sports cars. Audi delivers the sports car, and Bang & Olufsen delivers the sound system. The result was presented at the giant motor show 2006 Paris Mondial de l'automobile beginning September 28 until October 15. Its North America debut will be held at the Audi Forum opening on Wednesday, October 11.

The Bang & Olufsen Sound System has been developed, designed and crafted especially for the Audi R8, and that goes for both the visual experience and the sound performance. The Bang & Olufsen Sound System for R8 has 12 loudspeakers driven by 10 discrete channels of amplification and digital signal processing, producing a total amplifier power of 465 watts. And of course the technology is supported by a unique visual design featuring machined and anodized aluminium details -- enhancing the attractive interior of the R8.

Key words for the Audi R8 are fascinating design, outstanding sportiness and unrestricted driving enjoyment. Consequently, the Bang & Olufsen Sound System is designed so that engine noise is compensated for, but not eliminated by the music. This is the case especially during acceleration to ensure that driver and passenger achieve the best possible driving experience.

At the same time, Bang & Olufsen guarantees an outstanding sound experience.

"We are very happy about expanding the cooperation with Audi. And we are really excited to present a Bang & Olufsen Sound System tailor-made for such a fantastic car as the Audi R8. Today, you can buy very exclusive sports cars with sound systems that don't reflect the same value. We believe, however, that those interested in high-end sports cars deserve a good sound system in their cars as well. With this new sound system we introduce a new variant of our automotive sound systems and demonstrate our ability to tailor-make Bang & Olufsen systems for different types of cars," says Jens Peter Zinck, Managing Director, Bang & Olufsen Automotive.

Heike Trager, Head of Product Marketing Audi Sports Cars, couldn't agree more.

"The new Audi R8 will contribute to attaining a long-term objective for Audi; prestige leadership. The model is key to enhancing the sporty, emotional appeal of the Audi brand, and Bang & Olufsen has contributed to this by developing a sound system especially for the Audi R8."

The Bang & Olufsen Sound System is an option for all Audi R8's. The Audi R8 presale has just started, and Audi expects market introduction next spring.

Specifications:
Surround sound playback through 12 loudspeakers:
1 x subwoofer - 130 mm in bass reflex cabinet
2 x front door woofer - 200 mm
1 x centre speaker - 35x70 mm
2 x front midrange speaker - 80 mm
2 x front tweeter - 25 mm
2 x rear tweeter - 25 mm
2 x rear midrange-woofer - 168 mm
10-channel amplifier with a combined power output of 465 watts.
Digital Signal Processing (DSP)
Vehicle Noise Compensation with microphone input to analyse engine and different frequency bands
True Image(TM): Proprietary Bang & Olufsen 2-to-5.1 channel upmix algorithm
Tailor made for the Audi R8 as regards both design and sound design

Designed by David Lewis
The price for the Bang & Olufsen Sound System is approximately $1700 US"

http://www.germancarfans.com/news/2061013.008/2061013.008.mini5L.jpg

Link to the article om worldcarfans and more pictures:http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/country/gcf/newsID/2061013.008/audi/new-audi-r8-bang-olufsen-sound-system

Leadfoot
October 14th, 2006, 00:50
Specifications:
Surround sound playback through 12 loudspeakers:
1 x subwoofer - 130 mm in bass reflex cabinet
2 x front door woofer - 200 mm
1 x centre speaker - 35x70 mm
2 x front midrange speaker - 80 mm
2 x front tweeter - 25 mm
2 x rear tweeter - 25 mm
2 x rear midrange-woofer - 168 mm
10-channel amplifier with a combined power output of 465 watts.
Digital Signal Processing (DSP)
Vehicle Noise Compensation with microphone input to analyse engine and different frequency bands
True Image(TM): Proprietary Bang & Olufsen 2-to-5.1 channel upmix algorithm
Tailor made for the Audi R8 as regards both design and sound design

Interesting, with such a small subwoofer (130mm) it is really only a woofer, at best only producing a decent volume at over 60Hz. Though with 8"woofers in the doors you will get some good bass thump in much the same way as a Volvo premium sound system does, only with even better clarity. Bang & Olufsen kit is usually quite good in the home end for something that's not mix and match and is a lot better than Bose, that's for sure. I wonder how it will compare to the Linn system in the Aston, if it comes close than it's well worth the money as the Linn is the thick end of £10K.

dxben
October 14th, 2006, 04:14
I don't like what I see in that picture, the door handle is a first reflective surface right in front of the speaker, cutting off at least a third of it. Not what I'd call a good start in an already impossibly difficult volume to create quality sound.

m3fan
October 14th, 2006, 17:45
Not to knock the great sound system but, does anyone know how much weight the Bang & Olufsen Sound adds?

Jim
October 15th, 2006, 01:12
I haven't had my S8 2 weeks yet...but, I am disappointed in the B&O sound system. For the $6300 option...it does not sound any better, and in my opnion, not quite as good as the Bose in my now departed RS6. Of course, an audio system designed for a different vehicle may provide better results. I may be used to the A6/RS6 Bose audio that I've listened to, since 2002.
I have an original set of RS6 tires available for sale. They are Dunlop Sport 900 RS 255/40ZR18 99X. They were removed from the RS6 at approximately 6000 miles to install all-season tires. Excellent condition. Please contact me with any questions.
Thanks

Leadfoot
October 15th, 2006, 11:00
Jim,

Does the B & O system sound thin and not as full a sound compared to the Bose?

If so this is down to the quality of the amps and speakers. Digital amps control the movement of the speakers so well, stopping and starting their movement much better than a normal amp, this extra movement from a standard amp make the sound from the speaker coloured and fuller, giving the impression with subs & woofers that it's bassier and richer but ultimately less accurate sounding.

Give the system and your ears time to adjust to the cleaner/clearer sound that this system definitely has. It has been some time since I was in the car audio game but at that time digital equipment was just starting and the difference took time for your ears to tune into the way they sounded but after a while you will agree that they are way better than the old Bose system you rate so highly.:thumb:

AndyBG
October 16th, 2006, 16:53
Everybody so far was so delighted with B&O sound... :confused:

Benman
October 16th, 2006, 16:56
...it does not sound any better, and in my opnion, not quite as good as the Bose in my now departed RS 6.

Serious? I had the pleasure of sampling the B&O system in said S8 at the "Streets of Tomorrow" event in L.A. I thought the system smoked the RS 6's Bose. For me, it was even far superior to the Levinson system used in the LS430s. Compared to the B&O, the Bose in my RS 6 sounds like the speakers are wrapped with shipping bubble wrap, that is how dulled down the speakers sound.

As Leadfoot suggests, maybe give it time? Or... maybe something is wrong with your system. It really sould be a NIGHT & DAY improvement over the Bose!

Ben:addict:

Leadfoot
October 16th, 2006, 22:42
I wonder how it will compare to the new system in the Lexus LS460?

Mjolnir
October 17th, 2006, 05:03
I don't like what I see in that picture, the door handle is a first reflective surface right in front of the speaker, cutting off at least a third of it. Not what I'd call a good start in an already impossibly difficult volume to create quality sound.

That observation is only applicable to tweeters. If your ears were
positioned where your knees were, with the door handle completely
blocking the mid range speaker, you wouldn't notice any discernable difference.

I am sure Bang & Olufson has a grasp of what they're doing.

M