PDA

View Full Version : R8 tire replacement

RXBG
October 11th, 2006, 21:00
any of you gents think about real world maintenance/costs re: the R8? i am sure most would opt for the nominal price of the audi care package while under warranty, but what about the tires?

well, for your amusement below is a link to current rear tire prices for the optional rear R8 19 inch rims.

i was thinking about this since i just ordered a new set of 4 rubbers for my S. 800 and change for a set of contisport 3's.

depending on the tire it really isn't that much more for the much larger sized rears over the current stock S4 set-up. (unless you opt for the overpriced- yet excellent-PS2's.......ouch).

furthermore- it would not be too steep a price to pay for the ceramic brakes (9K or so) when you realize that a new set of pads/rotors after a very heavy track weekend could set you back at least half as much as that on a car like the R8 (esp. when you factor in labor costs).

also begs the question. does the R8 come with a spare? seems not. i've searched and not found a thing on this topic quite yet. :bye2:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?resultsNumberSelected=Y&displayResults=10&compare=true&compareList=&RunFlat=All&goWhere=%252Ftires%252FCompare1.jsp&width=295%2F&ratio=30&diameter=19&startIndex=0&sortValue=0

Benman
October 11th, 2006, 22:37
RXBG,

I'm going to assume the R8 will run similar sized wheels and tires that the Gallardo does. If so, then 235/35/19s and 295/30/19s in the rear. At $281 and $423!!!, the OEM Pirellis are not cheap. And for track duty, WOW, you'll be looking at some serious track day costs.

While I can't help you with the street stuff, if you really are serious about tracking the R8, you'd be wise to look into the Hancook R Compound 18" tires (since you'll have to buy a set of track wheels, you might as well "settle" for 18", One: Cheaper, Two: Lighter). If you do decide to get 18" wheels for track, I can hook you up big time on a fantastic price for the Hancooks. I have run these on our race car and can vouch that they are very, very good track tires. There is a NASA series in America called the USTCC ( http://www.ustcc.com ) that runs these tires. Fortunately for me, the series looks to be changing tire sponsors as these tires are on a massive clearance. The 285/20/18s I picked up were an amazing $165.00 a pop! That is less than half of what a comparable Toyo/Yoko/Mich/Pir would cost you.

If you want to save big $$$ for track fun, let me know.

And as you may have guessed, I do not sell these tires, merely am buying them and know where you can get them for that price. And they also happen to have a size that would work for the front 235/35/18 for @$130.00

Ben:addict:

RXBG
October 12th, 2006, 15:45
benman,

thanks for the suggestions. i will be in touch. i have to start taking notes from you. i have almost a year before i get this thing. in the meantime- i'll be crashing the local auto-X in my lowly S4 :s4addict: .............can't wait to try out the new conti 3's. i'm a fool for the latest and greatest..............

Leadfoot
October 12th, 2006, 22:53
RXBG,

Hate to burst your bubble, but I'm currently running the conti 3's on my S4 and I don't like them at all. The ride quality which isn't that great on a S4 to begin with has gone to pot (sidewall stiffer) and they don't wear as well as the Pirelli OEMs that came on it. On a plus side, the grip is equally as good in the dry and much better in the wet but when they let go it's much quicker.

Sorry.

But I shouldn't complain as I get my tyres supplied in my maintenance contract from Audi that includes everything service, brakes, tyres etc and all for £500 per year.:D

RXBG
October 13th, 2006, 17:09
oh well. thanks for your input. i'll keep a heads up for break-away once the tires are broken in. at least it is dry season here in florida. so i won't have to worry too much about it. 9 months and counting.... :D