PDA

View Full Version : Why Audi never get the autobox right?

Michal12
October 4th, 2006, 13:14
I have a B6 3.0 Quattro Tiptronic and I am considering switching to pre-owned B6 S4 V8 (I am absolutely in love with that V8 sound!)
My car has very slow initial acceleration (0-62mph in 8,7s instead of 6,9s with manual - and these are official figures and reality is probably worse:cry: ) and I am afraid it will be the same case with the S4.
So, has anyone timed their S4 V8 doing 0-62mph/100kph??? I am really worried that the autobox (even though it is six speed) will ruin the whole car so I think I will have to go for the manual version.
Real horror test that confirmes my fear is this:
http://autoweb.drive.com.au/cms/A_2560/article.html
I mean, how come that car goes 0-100kph in 7,1s?? WTF?:bigeyes:

JavierNuvolari
October 4th, 2006, 14:20
Go manual mate ;). 8.7 secs 0-62 is really slow foe a 3 litre Audi...I mean...my Nissan Primera can match that figure...:incar:

Cheers,

Javier

AndyBG
October 4th, 2006, 22:56
First, I would say, go manual.

But, if you realy want Tiptronic, I would say, GO TEST IT, I am 100% sure that you want be disapointed AT ALL.

Wehn comes to automatics, for that money, you can't have much better solution.

It's 6-speed, and working very nice, at least in those cars that I saw.

Leadfoot
October 4th, 2006, 23:11
I test drove both manual and auto when I was buying my S4. And though I brought a manual I was more than impressed this the auto. I changed down quickly and with the paddles behind the wheel you get the best of both worlds. In give or take driving I didn't notice any difference in the performance, but as I didn't try a standing start I can't comment on how quick the auto is when compared to the manual. But I will say that the manual is mighty quick for what is a big heavy saloon (5secs to 60mph and 100mph in approx 12secs):jlol:

I think the reason why the S4 performs quite well as an auto is the extra torque it has, maybe that is why it changes gear so willingly or the ZF box is a big improvement on you older 5 speed model.

As Andy says try both of them and see which one suits you.:thumb:

Audihead
October 5th, 2006, 02:00
My friend and I timed our '04 Tippy and 6-Speed S4's. My Tippy ran 5.8 0-60, his 6-Speed ran 5.3. The auto tranny has @ a half second lag between 1st and 2nd where you lose all your time. Other than that it's not too bad. If you really want to have fun in a B6 S4, get a stick.

Michal12
October 5th, 2006, 13:13
Interesting post Leadfoot. It seems that this new 6 speed auto is much better than my old 5 speeder. I guess when the clutch in manual version is not too heavy I will go manual but in any case now the auto tranny sounds more tempting than before.

I test drove both manual and auto when I was buying my S4. And though I brought a manual I was more than impressed this the auto. I changed down quickly and with the paddles behind the wheel you get the best of both worlds. In give or take driving I didn't notice any difference in the performance, but as I didn't try a standing start I can't comment on how quick the auto is when compared to the manual. But I will say that the manual is mighty quick for what is a big heavy saloon (5secs to 60mph and 100mph in approx 12secs):jlol:

I think the reason why the S4 performs quite well as an auto is the extra torque it has, maybe that is why it changes gear so willingly or the ZF box is a big improvement on you older 5 speed model.

As Andy says try both of them and see which one suits you.:thumb:

Michal12
October 5th, 2006, 13:45
Thanx for your post Audihead. This is what I was looking for. Nice to hear that the autobox is pretty much on par with the manual version.

My friend and I timed our '04 Tippy and 6-Speed S4's. My Tippy ran 5.8 0-60, his 6-Speed ran 5.3. The auto tranny has @ a half second lag between 1st and 2nd where you lose all your time. Other than that it's not too bad. If you really want to have fun in a B6 S4, get a stick.

Speedou
October 6th, 2006, 15:37
I have seen some tests for a tip and those have been something like 6.5 to 6.8 from 0 to 100km/h.

Audihead
October 6th, 2006, 21:40
I have seen some tests for a tip and those have been something like 6.5 to 6.8 from 0 to 100km/h.

Couldn't have been a V8 S4. That is way too slow. Someone must of had an anchor tied to the tow hook in the back.:jlol:

RS246
February 4th, 2007, 01:43
From the figuers i have read... My conclusion is that the newest tip boks is over a sec faster from 0-60.
In S6 this boks came with tha facelift in 2002.
I the S4 it came with the latest modell..

AuditudeA642
February 4th, 2007, 02:55
I have a tiptronic C5 a6 4.2 which has less hp and probably weighs more than a S4 and timed my 0-60 at 5.9 seconds with two people in the car. (i have an intake and reprogrammed transmission chip)

RS246
February 4th, 2007, 09:12
I have a tiptronic C5 a6 4.2 which has less hp and probably weighs more than a S4 and timed my 0-60 at 5.9 seconds with two people in the car. (i have an intake and reprogrammed transmission chip)

Is this with tip gearbox ?

AuditudeA642
February 4th, 2007, 15:35
yea but the only catch is that it was 19F degrees.

Leadfoot
February 4th, 2007, 17:15
There is a 0.2 secs difference between the manual and the auto, which can be explained by the different gearing between the two boxes. At 120mph I doubt there will be much in it. Also the manual like you to change gear slower than most maybe due to quattro and is a pain in traffic. I reckon you should check out the auto before buying.

Michal12
February 11th, 2007, 17:21
I will see what I can do..Dont know yet how will I record it.
The sound is reasonably good, but nowhere near 4.2 V8..

Hey Michal12
could you send me some soundfiles of your 3.0 quattro?
I wanted to buy myself one.
But i've worried about the sound of the V6.

But, nice decision to take the S4,mate ;) :s4addict:

Speedou
February 12th, 2007, 13:00
Couldn't have been a V8 S4. That is way too slow. Someone must of had an anchor tied to the tow hook in the back.:jlol:

Yes it was. I have driven one and it was as slow. Don't know the reason. Car takes quite easily 250 but from start is not that fast. Manual is from other world.

Leadfoot
February 12th, 2007, 14:28
Yes it was. I have driven one and it was as slow. Don't know the reason. Car takes quite easily 250 but from start is not that fast. Manual is from other world.

Very funny and totally different from the experience I had when test driving an auto S4 before ordering my manual. I was very surprise by it's speed and did consider one.

Speedou
February 12th, 2007, 17:23
Very funny and totally different from the experience I had when test driving an auto S4 before ordering my manual. I was very surprise by it's speed and did consider one.

Strange thing, maybe there is different between automatic programs or etc. But finnish magazines were testing the same B7 S4 Avant. All the times were above 6.5s. My own driving experience is with B6. Maybe not the best drivers here, but with tip it's not that hard :stick: